“Crowne Plaza Overland Park = Holiday Inn from the 80s” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Lenexa
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Crowne Plaza Overland Park = Holiday Inn from the 80s”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

This is my second time staying at a Crowne Plaza and also second time being disappointed at one. It's clear that the decor, furnishings, layout of the building, etc. is from an old Holiday Inn Hotel - like the Holidome kind where the rooms surround the play area in the center. The only nice things here are the Select Comfort beds, Speakman shower head, and the staff. Everything else is pretty much sub-par for today's standards.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
jkalbert, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear Huberm:

First of all I want to thank you for being a repeat customer of the Crowne Plaza Hotel KC-OP. We appreciate your business.

I also want to thank you for the comments that you have shared with us about our hotel. I am very pleased to read that you were happy with our staff and you enjoyed the sleep number beds and the Speakman Showerhead. I am very lucky to have such a great staff that takes customer service the the next level.

Our facility has been recently renovated with more work to come in 2012. We will begin our next phase of renovation soon which will include the restaurant, lounge, lobby area, meeting facilities, etc and will give us that new standard that our guest deserve in today's times.

Agian I want to thank you for your business and for your comments. It is greatly appreciated.

Jerry K. Albert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Fort Worth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

My first problems were with my reservation. I reserved a room with 2 double beds. When I arrived, they had put me in a king room. When I mentioned that I had reserved 2 double beds, they moved me to another room. I am concerned that I did not get the same quality room that I would have had. I am a platinum member, and he moved me to the first floor. At most IHG hotels, I have noticed that platinum members are put on a better floor, and it is always the higher floors. If all of the rooms are like this, the bathrooms are extremely cramped. You can barely open the bathroom door without hitting the toilet. There was not enough room for more than one person to be in there. In addition, you had to close the closet door if you wanted to open the hotel room door. That's not so bad, but it is poor design. (see my pictures) Also, one of the beds was not working. It was a Sleep Number bed, but it was very soft and would not change its firmness when I changed the setting. It seems like it might have had a leak in it. I left a message with the hotel staff about this, but no one called me back. I also had a horrible experience in the bar. When I noticed that it had taken a long time for my meal to arrive, I finally asked what happened. The bartender said that he had forgotten to put my order in. As payment for my trouble, he took $5 off of my meal. It's hard for me to believe that they don't think my time is worth more than $5. I sent messages to the hotel and IHG 4 months ago about these things, but no one has addressed these concerns. I liked the variety of options at the breakfast buffet, but I would not say that the flavor was any better than average. The workout room wasn't spectacular, but it did have more options than average. On the good side, I really liked the shower head and the toiletries. Random things to consider. It did seem difficult getting to/from the hotel. I don't know if it was just the direction that I was headed, but I felt like I was always driving around the block to get across the street. The hotel does a lot of business with tour buses. It didn't really inconvenience me. There were more people at breakfast on certain days, but everything worked out. Also, they don't have much of a restaurant. There's a large seating area, but that's used for breakfast and large groups. If you want to eat dinner, you have to eat in the smaller bar area and wait for the bartenders to serve you.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
jkalbert, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear mrjanto:

Thank you for taking the time to send me your comments from your stay in December. I want to apologize for the inconveniece that you experienced here at the hotel. Our rooms at this hotel were built in the early 80's to a standard that was set many years ago. Our rooms have recently been updated with new decor with more on the way. Our Priority Club members are very important to us. I do see that you are are a Platinum member which if rooms were avaialble we could have upgraded you to a suite. Unfortunately, we only have 6 rooms in our hotel that we can offer to our members. Our hotel has several sleep number beds throughout the facility. For these beds we have set up a maintenance program to make sure we are checking and repairing these beds on a set schedule. It is obvious we missed your room on our shedule and I can assure you we will reveiw and make any necessary changes to our procedures.

I have reveiwed your comments to our Food and Beverage Director about your experience in this department. I know for sure that he has addressed this issue with those involved and since your stay we have new employees that have helped us set a new standard in service and quality. In your notes you mentioned that you sent over to us and IHG some of your concerns, but unfortunately I had not seen them. We take our guests comments very seriously and they could have been misplaced and not made it to my Guest Service Managers desk.

In 2012, we are expected more renovations to take place which will include new restaurant, lounge, lobby area, etc. These items will not only give us a new look but will give us more optins for our guests to have a much greater experience at our hotel.

Mrjanto, I want to assure you that we strive to make sure that everyone has a comfrotable and pleasnt stay with us. It is obviuous we dropped the ball during your visit. Again please accept our apologizes.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I booked through a discount service so I was able to get a great rate for a very nice hotel. This is the first time I've stayed in the hotel, but I would probably stay again. The rooms where nice, a little out of date. Very clean and comfortable. Some great ammenities for the kids.

I was not impressed with their food for the price, parking was terrible because they had a wedding or something going on in one of their convention rooms. Finding our room was also a trip, I didn't care for the layout or directions on how to find the room.

If your looking solely for a room to stay and let the kids play, this is probably the place. Just get their early!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear iowafreak:
Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments outlining your stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel KC-OP. I was happy to hear that you felt that our hotel was very clean, rooms were nice and that we had great amenities for the kids. I am very proud and fortunate to have a such a great housekeeping staff at our hotel. As I read further you mentioned that you were not happy with the food and the parking issues that you encountered during your stay., I want to apologize for the inconveniece that you encountered. I wil send you a private note to hopefully receive more direct comments on how the food was not acceptable., This will ensure that I can get to the bottom of your comments. As far as the parking, I agree. I can assure you that we will not have that size of an event in our hotel during our peak weekends. Again thanks for taking the time to give us your comments on your stay. We wish you the best in all your travels.

St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone traveling with kids. The hotel was in great shape, reasonably priced, and everyone was friendly. Very close the American Girl store and not too far from Kansas City, MO. The pool was big enough and the kids had a blast. Plenty of room for our group to hang out in the atrium and watch March Madness while enjoying our dinner.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
jkalbert, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Dear jroed:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience. It really helps us to know our emphasis on customer service is coming through in a positive way. I look forward to your next visit to our area. Please don't hestate to stop by and say hi while you are here.

Safe Travels!!

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

This is in a good location; near the freeway, not far from great places to eat and shop.
Hotel personnel were very cheerful and helpful in all matters. The room was very clean and the beds - sleep comfort- were the best we have ever had the pleasure to enjoy.
Also liked the indoor pool!
I had forgotten an item, returned the following day and was able to retrieve it without any difficulty.
Will definitely stay there again should we need to be in the state of Kansas for any overnights.

Room Tip: Just make a request, they will do their best to accomodate.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear delectible:

Wow, thank you for letting us know how pleased you were during your stay. I will look forward to sharing these comments with those departments that are involved. This is a great moral booster for those that work hard to please our guests. Thanks again so much.

Gig Harbor, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I was in town for a weekend conference and was bemused by this hotel. The room itself was nothing to rave over, but it was clean and neat. The beds are Sleep Number, which is pretty much a glorified air mattress, but it was sufficient for my needs. There are quite a few cons however:
-the front desk check in was quick, but I never received a greeting, or even a smile. The receptionist simply checked me in and gave me my key. No words were ever spoken. Very odd.
-I spent 10 minutes trying to find my room...the hotel itself is designed extremely poorly, with random hallways running all over the place. Even the signs were incorrect.
-The pool is located in the lobby area, so noise can be a huge issue when 20 teenagers are yelling and screaming, and your room faces towards the pool itself.
-breakfast was disgusting. The restaurant staff looked bored and displayed no hospitality. My oatmeal was simply the packet kind with an abundance of extra water flowing over my bowl. Gross.

Room Tip: Be sure to pick a outside facing room to avoid pool and lobby noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank bluestarfish18
IHGCare, Guest Relations IHGCare at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Dear bluestarfish18,

Although you gave us a high star rating, You had some concerns. I wanted to address those for you. I apologize that you were not properly greeted at the front desk. That is as you say "Odd".
Next time if you have trouble finding your room just let us know we would be happy to assist.
Also if you are closer to the pool than you would like to be, we can move you to another room. Just let us know. I'm sorry to hear that you were not happy with the oatmeal. We do serve a full breakfast and could have made you something more to your liking. I do hope you stay again with us for a future visit. You loyalty is appreciated.

Thanks again,

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

This property is clean and comfortable, the only thing it lacks is an upgrade. The rooms are outdated. The property and the rooms are clean, the staff is fantastic and the location is right off of I-35. .

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank leastewart68
Dear leastewart68:

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments from your recent stay. I appreciate you letting me know how well the staff made your stay enjoyable. I am very lucky to have such a great talented staff that believes in customer service. As far as updated comments, we have made many new upgrades to the hotel and we are anticipating and planning some new great looks coming this year. If I can be of further service please do not hesitate to let me know. Where ever you travel, please be safe.

Jerry K. Albert
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenexa
4.3 km away
0.2 km away
Quality Inn & Suites Lenexa Kansas City
7.2 km away
Sheraton Overland Park Hotel at the Convention Center

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park? Share your experiences!