Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Lenexa
Topeka, KS
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

My hubby and I decided to have a date weekend in Kansas City and we stayed at this location to check it out. Even though this was our first visit, we were greeted warmly by the front desk staff. Our room was surprisingly large and had an amazing shower with multiple shower heads. When we first sat down on the bed, it was really hard. But then we realized that they have the Sleep Number Beds. So my hubby had fun figuring out his perfect number for his sleeping comfort. Ha. I wasn't a fan of the bed because I like to snuggle with my hubby and I felt the bar between the two sides of the bed. The room was very clean. We were up on the third floor and it was very relaxing. However, at night, there were people outside having a smoke break and talking loudly, and we felt like they were in the room with us. We decided to have supper at the hotel before going out. The small restaurant was decorated for Cinco de Mayo at that time, and looked a little outdated. I ordered the pork chops and my hubby ordered a steak. The food was FANTASTIC! There are a lot of wonderful restaurants in Overland Park, but this little bistro could give them all a run for the money. The next morning, we decided to try out their breakfast buffet. The staff was so accomodating. They even offered to make our waffles at the do-it-yourself waffle maker for us. All in all, I'd say that this hotel has the friendliest and most accomodating staff that I've ever experienced. I look forward to the next time we travel to the area. I'd recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank breoni
jkalbert, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
Dear breoni:

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments from your stay here at the Crowne Plaza Hotel KC-OP. It is always nice to share with my staff the positive comments that you have made about their service. They work very hard for our guests. As far as the Sleep number bed, they can be challenging but loved by many of our guests. I too believe we have great food here. The majority of our culinary staff are graduates from well known colleges that they had learned their talents from. We are lucky to have such great talent. We too look forward to your next visit to our hotel.

Safe travels to you and your family.

Jerry Albert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Singapore
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Things did not get off to a good start when my flights were delayed and instead of arriving at 8PM I arrived at 2AM. Not the hotels fault of course, but then standing like an idiot at the front desk for a good 10 mins before a rather suprised member of staff popped out with a mouth full of food and saw me was not a great start to the stay.

On arriving at my room, it had an inter-connecting door and a loud argument going on in the room next door... So back to the front desk and a request for another room... A request for a room without an inter-connecting door could not be accomodated but he found me a room with an empty room next door.

The room itself is ok, old fashioned CRT TV, tiny bathroom, no refrigerator, basic tea and coffee with powdered milk, clean but showing its age, a 3ft square replacement piece of carpet had been rather inexpertly cut in to the floor in front of the TV.

My main complaint is the room looks into the lobby rather than an external room and therefore has minimal natural daylight and feels very gloomy, even at mid day.

So, not a bad hotel but there are plenty of choices around here and I would probably choose to spend the money somewhere else on my next visit...

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank cmdsea
Dear cmdsea:

Thanks for taking the time to share with us your thoughts concerning your stay with us. I want to apologze for the unpleasant feeling you encountered upon arrival at the front desk. I can assure you this issue will be addressed immediately. As far as the room condition, we have not completed all of our planned renovation that will come soon. I do know for sure that we have new TV's arriving this week. Our hotel offers many types of rooms that are located facing the interior as well as the exterior which gives our customers a choice to choose from. I want to invite you back on your next trip to KC and hope that you will stop by so that I may speak with you in person. Again ,thanks for your comments.

Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed 15 May 2012

The first thing to consider is that this hotel ranges from $80-$100 a night. So it is affordable, but not a bargain hotel. We were doing a "staycation" for our honeymoon, and we chose this hotel for the location. The inside was great, and surprisingly modern decor in an otherwise older building. The main impact was from the employees. Everyone we met was nothing short of excellent. The individual that checked us in, Marcus, congratulated us on our marriage and upgraded our hotel and presented us with free passes for breakfast. A small thing that went a long way.

We were on a budget so we spent most of the night int he room and loved every minute of it. The room service was great, and we even had a refrigerator delivered to our room to keep our drinks cold.

There are a couple areas of improvement, but understandable for the price.
The TV was an old CRT style, which isn't a big deal but the picture was SD and cut off.
There was no advanced options like renting a movie, which is one of my favorite features of other hotels.
The infrastructure of the hotel is a little outdated, but they are doing really well with what they have.
The sleep number beds were very difficult to adjust, but otherwise comfortable.

Keep up the great work, and thank you for making our night special!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TripsterKC
Dear tripsterKC:

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments from your recent stay. I appreciate you letting me know how well Marcus made your stay enjoyable. I am very lucky to have such a great person that believes in customer service. As far as the updated comments, we have made many new upgrades to the hotel and we are anticipating and planning some new great looks coming this year. We are vey excited to see this happen. Again, I thnik you for your business and if we can be of further service please do not hesitate to let me know.

Safe travels to you always.

Blue Springs, Missouri
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I wanted to take the wife away for a weekend and let someone else do the work. I had recently upped my game and stayed at a C.P. in Portland, Oregon which was very, very nice. I expected the same from this one so I did not do my normal due diligence in my research.

When we arrived, there seemed to be a ( dare I say ) mold smell BUT that does not mean that is what it actually was. My wife and I thought it might be.

I was greeted as a Platinum member and given an upgrade to a suite. ( Even on using reward nights points ) I wonder if the West Coast IHG's called this place and told them about me. ( Just kidding ) As I am learning in my travels across the U.S., the west coast IHG's are not big on upgrades.

This hotel has a HUGE lobby with the swimming pool and hot tub/jacuzzi in the middle of the hotel inside. ( Maybe that was the smell? )

The exercise room was adjacent to the pool/jacuzzi area. It was decent. We did not use it but we perused it. There were some outdated elliptical machines mixed in with some up to date ones. They had some dumbells as well. As I said, it was decent.

We dined at the restaurant in the hotel. Nothing to write home about but at least we could stay in and not worry about traffic or waiting for a table somewhere.

Now the suite. I guess I have been spoiled staying at numerous H.I.E's ( Holiday Inn Express ) as this hotel is somewhat older BUT I must say the suite was quite spacious and above all, QUIET. We heard hardly a door slam or anything.

The TV's in the suite need to be upgraded. ( I overheard a conversation the bartenders were having that this was upcoming ). The furniture was quite old but in great condition. Outlets were at a premium.
There was a refrigerator but no microwave. There also was a coffee maker.

All in all I would stay at this C.P. again. Hopefully the upgrades are forthcoming as this has the potential to be a better than "Very good" hotel.

Kudos to the staff as they made us feel comfortable. Thanks.

Room Tip: Corner suite ( room 423 ) very spacious and VERY quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Woodrow W:

Thank you for your thorough details about your stay with us at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City-Overland Park. I appreciate your comments that will help us improve our facility. Althought the hotel was built in the 80's we have started working on our IHG upgrades. We have completed many upgrades over the past couple of years and are expecting to complete the final changes by the end of the year. This will include a complete restaurant/bar look, lobby changes, new TV's, etc. We are all excited about our new look. I will pass on to our staff your comment "Kudos to the staff as they made us feel comfortable" It's always exciting to praise the staff when they do a great job.

Thanks again and safe travels to you and your family where ever you may go!!

Dallas, TX
Reviewed 11 May 2012

This was a decent hotel given I had a corporate rate way less than the advertised price. The good things was the Sleep Number bed. This hotel is right on the freeway, so it is convenient and if you are new to town, you wont lose it that easily. However, note that this is a dated hotel. It seemed old and in need of either renovation or paint to give it a modern look. I am not saying it looked like falling part or anything, just old!. Property was clean. The breakfast buffet is decent, esp if included in the room rate. If you have to pay, much much better options exist.
The hotel has a shuttle which will drive you within a five mile radius (drop off and pick up).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I have to be honest and say I wasnt looking forward to our stay at this hotel (based on the reviews from this website.) But since we traveled with a girls soccer team, I booked with the group and kept quiet. This hotel exceeded my expectations! The front desk staff were very polite and friendly...the hotel including the rooms were very clean...and i thought it had a great set up with most the rooms as poolside. I did bring a fan to help drown out any hall noise which helped, and I must admit the free breafast was disappointing with very little to offer. If you can get past these little things including the dated decor and the small bathroom this is a great hotel and very kid friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a non pool side room if you are looking for peace and quiet!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Non P
Desloge, Missouri
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We stayed here as part of a family trip for a volleyball tournament. When we arrived, the person at the front d3sk tried telling me how to get to our room (room # 840). But it didn't make sense to me because he told us to go outside and come in the outside enterance. Well the first thing that caught me as 'odd' when we headed for our room was the fact that there were only 4 floors, so how are we in room 840? Well, there is another 'wing' to this building that is only accessable from the outside. Rooms 700-842 are in this other wing. Well our room overlooked the indoor pool and lobby area, but we didn't have access to it without going back outside and in a side door. Just a very weird layout.

The hotel was clean and comfortable, but not what I would consider up to "Crown Plaza" standards. Nothing wrong with it, it was just a little old and dated. If you would have told me it was a Holiday Inn and it was 1990, I would say it is a great place to stay. But, don't get me wrong, the room is comfortable and clean and so is the bathroom. The shower had plenty of hot water. The thermostat was even a little more advances than I expected. It was just a remote control. Kinda cool.

Final thought, if you have to pay more that about $75 for this room, you should probably shop elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
jkalbert, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear semoguy:

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments from your stay.

Yes, I can agree with you on the layout of the room numbers that were set up for this hotel. The 4 story hotel was added in the 80's and was built to add an addtional 2 more floors on top for future planning which would be the 500 and 600 rooms. This is why the 2 story building was numbered with 700 and 800 numbers. I will work with the Desk staff to help with better directions in hopes to minimize the confusion to our guests.

I am pleased with your comments on how clean and comfortable the hotel is. I do have a great staff that takes pride in the cleanliness of our hotel. The hotel has recently went through renovation over the past couple of years. In 2012 we are anticipating to start on our next phase of the hotel that will update the restaurant, lounge, meeting facilities, lobby area, etc. This will defintiely enhance our guests expectations. We as a team are very excited for the changes we will see.

Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.

Jerry K. Albert
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenexa
2.4 km away
3.2 km away
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Overland Park
5.8 km away
Comfort Inn+ Suites - Overland Park

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park? Share your experiences!