“Near railroad tracks, parties & cancellation policy-stay somewhere else”

Parkwood Inn & Suites
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Manhattan
Shawnee, Kansas
“Near railroad tracks, parties & cancellation policy-stay somewhere else”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

The hotel is fairly new so it is still clean. I had to get my room key re-coded 5 times before it would actually work on the side door entrance. There are about 3 parking spaces in front so you have to park on the side. This hotel is across the street from railroad tracks. Trains run all night. I was unlucky enough to stay on a weekend when there was a large wedding party staying on multiple floors. Partied all night. House keeping starts vacuuming @ 7 a.m. ....walls are paper thin. Beware of their cancellation policy. I originally reserved a room for Fri & Sat. I found out I did not need the room on Friday. I called Tuesday morning to release the room for Friday, but needed to keep Saturday. I was told they require 7 days notice for cancellation no exceptions. This is not on their website. Walt Disney World resorts don't require 7 days notice & believe me this is no Disney World. Will not stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Rita H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Eureka, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

Very nice, clean, friendly employees and a good breakfast. We had our dog and they put us on the first floor near the back exit as we requested which made life much easier. There is a small park across the street which is also great for folks traveling with pets. Highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Wichita
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

This property is always clean, is close to campus and an easy drive to everything you might want, and all of the staff are accommodating. We love it and look forward to seeing familiar, happy employees.

Room Tip: I like the North side rooms because they overlook a little park with a picnic shelter.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

My husband and I came down to kansas to visit friends who live in fort riley, We loved the location of the hotel. The general manager was very friendly and helpful. The hotel was spotless and comfortable. We loved the hot breakfast and the very friendly staff. We will definitely stay there again when we come back for another visit..

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Manning, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

My sister- in-law made a reservation at this "hotel" for two rooms for two nights, one for her and one for my wife and I. I presented my credit card for registration purposes, they swiped it once, then asked to swipe it again. At the end of the stay I got my receipt marked paid in full. One month later my card bill listed an additional room charge, unpaid! The kicker, they did the very same thing to my sister-in-law. I called and they refused to discuss it to a point of understandment. I turned the matter over to my company. Once, maybe a clerk's error, but twice?

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank augustleroy
Jacki-Parkwood, General Manager at Parkwood Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 1 September 2011
This was very unfortunate that this happened and was not intentional. As soon as we were notified of the mistake it was taken care of and the guest card was refunded. Sometimes mistakes happen. The guest was taken care of immediately.
Manhattan, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

Stayed for 3 nights at Parkwood after "escaping" from the nearby Clarion. All of the desk staff were great, very helpful and worked with me on the rate. The rooms are modern, very clean, good size, with no skimping on the quality (fixtures, towels, etc.). I'm not a big memory foam fan, so the bed was just a teeny bit hard for me. Stayed during the week and the hotel was quiet - never noticed any outside noise on the 2nd floor. Complimentary breakfast was good - nothing fancy, but typical serve-yourself assortment with a good mixture of cold and some hot food - loved the gourmet muffins! If you've got kids, they have a $1/night movie rental service with lots of new DVD's to choose from including many cartoons. As a Manhattan resident getting some home remodeling done, I stayed at 4 hotels in about 2 weeks - Parkwood was definitely the best!! I've already told my fellow KSU faculty members about it and will be sure to recommend it to anyone staying in Manhattan in the future! P.S. to the staff: Loved the purple!

Room Tip: Not sure there is a best room.. they are all good!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

Our initial reservation did not meet our expectations so I booked with Parkwood Inn & Suites literally on the spot. The hotel is brand new, the rooms are nicely furnished and the beds are extremely comfortable. We enjoyed the breakfast, convenient location and helpful staff.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family