“BEWARE - Terrible service and policy changes with no notice!” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Parkwood Inn & Suites
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Manhattan
Dodge City, Kansas
“BEWARE - Terrible service and policy changes with no notice!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2011

The only thing this hotel has going for it is that it is not a chain and it is newer than most in town. After having such a terrible experience, I was determined to get online and warn as many people as possible... Guess I shouldn't have been surprised to find several people have already posted on here with the SAME troubles I had.

This hotel does not care one lick about your business, so don't expect any type of customer service. And in agreement with other reviews - the "boss" was the MOST RUDE OF ALL. My family booked rooms for December graduation weekend - we reserved rooms for Friday and Saturday, but then found out that some people didn't need rooms for Saturday after all. The Monday of that week (5 nights in advance), when I call to cancel I am told that I must cancel 7 days in advance because it is an 'event weekend'. Even though I was specifically told when I booked them in October that I had until 24 hrs before to cancel...

Obviously we asked to speak with someone in charge to work the situation out. The young man we spoke with was very pleasant and polite, so boy were we surprised when his BOSS treated us so rudely! She practically hung up on us, promising to call us back, which she never did. Finally, we called and informed her that we will not be staying with them that weekend or ever again. She informed us our credit card would be charged for the four rooms we booked for 2 nights each, so we called our credit card company who told us that they would side with us in a dispute if charges were made. I get the distinct feeling that this woman is trying to make a buck and ripping people off.

We called another hotel that easily found us rooms, and we will be staying there instead. (Turns out Dec. Graduation is not even considered an event weekend by other hotels in town, I asked) This hotel could be a great place if it had even decent management. As is, I would not recommend it to anyone... No matter how desperate they are.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank K S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

My company travels to Manhattan often for business and have gotten into the habit of staying at Parkwood Inn & Suites every time we go. Over the 10 or so times I have personally stayed I never experienced problems like this one.

Long story short - a business trip originally scheduled for the week of Oct. 3 was cancelled 3 weeks before so I called the hotel to cancel my reservations. The employee only asked for my name and the dates I booked and said that the cancellation had been taken care of. The result...Oct 4 my credit card gets hit with over $1,000 charge by Parkwood Inn. Huh? So after calling them 3 days in a row trying to get in touch with the "boss" (Jacki Murrell) I finally get her on the phone. She wouldn't call me back after repeated messages left for her regarding my issues. Jacki was EXTREMELY rude! I was actually left speechless a few times on the phone. I couldn't believe that this "boss" was speaking to me in the manner she did. She was loud and angry and flat out called me a liar. End of story - I was told to take the charges up with my credit card company because they hadn't charged me for the $1,000. AND I will never stay there again. Horrible customer service.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank GrCoMe
Shawnee, Kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

The hotel is fairly new so it is still clean. I had to get my room key re-coded 5 times before it would actually work on the side door entrance. There are about 3 parking spaces in front so you have to park on the side. This hotel is across the street from railroad tracks. Trains run all night. I was unlucky enough to stay on a weekend when there was a large wedding party staying on multiple floors. Partied all night. House keeping starts vacuuming @ 7 a.m. ....walls are paper thin. Beware of their cancellation policy. I originally reserved a room for Fri & Sat. I found out I did not need the room on Friday. I called Tuesday morning to release the room for Friday, but needed to keep Saturday. I was told they require 7 days notice for cancellation no exceptions. This is not on their website. Walt Disney World resorts don't require 7 days notice & believe me this is no Disney World. Will not stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Rita H
Eureka, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

Very nice, clean, friendly employees and a good breakfast. We had our dog and they put us on the first floor near the back exit as we requested which made life much easier. There is a small park across the street which is also great for folks traveling with pets. Highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Wichita
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

This property is always clean, is close to campus and an easy drive to everything you might want, and all of the staff are accommodating. We love it and look forward to seeing familiar, happy employees.

Room Tip: I like the North side rooms because they overlook a little park with a picnic shelter.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

My husband and I came down to kansas to visit friends who live in fort riley, We loved the location of the hotel. The general manager was very friendly and helpful. The hotel was spotless and comfortable. We loved the hot breakfast and the very friendly staff. We will definitely stay there again when we come back for another visit..

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Manning, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

My sister- in-law made a reservation at this "hotel" for two rooms for two nights, one for her and one for my wife and I. I presented my credit card for registration purposes, they swiped it once, then asked to swipe it again. At the end of the stay I got my receipt marked paid in full. One month later my card bill listed an additional room charge, unpaid! The kicker, they did the very same thing to my sister-in-law. I called and they refused to discuss it to a point of understandment. I turned the matter over to my company. Once, maybe a clerk's error, but twice?

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank augustleroy
Jacki-Parkwood, General Manager at Parkwood Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 1 September 2011
This was very unfortunate that this happened and was not intentional. As soon as we were notified of the mistake it was taken care of and the guest card was refunded. Sometimes mistakes happen. The guest was taken care of immediately.