“Excellent rooms, full hot breakfast, great rates”

Parkwood Inn & Suites
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Manhattan
Reviewed 4 June 2012

This is an excellent hotel that has been open for less than 2 years at the time of this posting (June 2012). The lobby, hallways, and rooms still have that nice, but not over powering "new smell". The breakfast is a full hot breakfast and was very good. Our selections included scrambled eggs with diced ham, biscuits and gravy, make your own waffles, yogurt, cereal, toast/muffins/donuts, oatmeal, fruit, coffee, juices, milk, There is also a wide selection of dvd movies to choose from in the lobby. The bed was extremely comfortable with a memory foam-type mattress. The rooms are very nicely appointed in modern theme, have thermostat controlled cooling & heating, and a small refrigerator, The hotel is located in a quiet section of town and away from the congested areas. This is actually a bonus because you can choose to use alternate back routes to KSU, shopping, and restaurants and avoid sitting through the heavy traffic areas of Tuttle Creek, Bluemont, & Poyntz. The big draw for us was that the hotel is pet friendly with a very reasonable fee. If you are looking for an above average hotel with reasonable rates where you can bring your pet, this is the place. I read an earlier review of this hotel that gave a lower rating due to a 7-day cancellation policy. The hotel mentions that for special events, i.e., KSU graduations, Country Stampede and some other events, there IS a 7-day cancellation policy. For reservations not falling in that category, the cancellation notice is 24-hour, which I feel is acceptable. Note - ALL the hotels (and I believe B&B's too) in Manhattan, KS have a 2-night minimum for home football games, so you'll need to reserve early and plan accordingly for those events. Our son is starting his last year at KSU this fall. Wish we would have found this hotel when it first opened, but we will definitely be back for several more visits. I highly recommend this hotel for your stay in Manhattan, KS.

Room Tip: If traveling with a pet, rooms on the south end (opposite end of the lobby) are closer to the stairw...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Parkwood Inn & Suites

Reviewed 29 May 2012

I had to spend an overnight before an early morning meeting on the Kansas State campus. I could not get a room at the hotel where others in my group were staying, so took a chance on this. The Parkwood is only about a year old (as of April, 2012) and still feels as if it had just opened. Rooms were very clean and comparatively spacious. At $89 for my stay it was a real value. The free breakfast was what I would call "expanded basic" (i.e. not just the typical cereal and toaster waffles or day old muffins, but with scrambled eggs, sausage and other hot breakfast items.) I would stay here again any time, and just hope they keep up the high standards and cleanliness

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Flatlandcouple
Reviewed 21 May 2012

It's a shame to give this place a low rating because it really is a nice place. The deal breaker is their rediculous cancellation policy. SEVEN days or you are charged....no exceptions. Unless you are 100% sure at least 7 days prior to your stay that you will not need to cancel, or don't mind donating your money to them, look elseware. The Hilton and Fairfield Inn better options.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Dawn726
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Located in a what appears to be a not great area of town, this hotel is very near the school and across the parking lot from a fabulous, reasonably priced Thai restaurant. This property allows pets and had a nice handicapped access room. We faced a park. Room was updated. Movies are rentable in the lobby for a fee of $1 or $1.50, and the DVD player is a part of the TV. Staff was very nice. Stay here when in Manhattan.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beachmusic123
Jacki-Parkwood, General Manager at Parkwood Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Thank you for your wonderful review. If there is anything that we can ever do for you please let us know.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

We came to Manhattan to visit son at KSU. We stayed 2 nights. Location is close to KSU and the hotel seemed very new. Nice decor, clean, no signs of wear and tear. Good value at this price (about $90 per day). Only complaint: we had to run back and forth between our 4th floor room and front desk 3 times during check-in because the keys never worked, without apology they changed our room to one that worked. Also, after we returned to room after housecleaning on second day, room door was not pulled closed, leaving our personal belongings unsecured in the room. I told front desk clerk who apologized and sent a note to housekeeping. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank AustinBluffs

Thank you kindly for your remarks. I am sorry that you were not apologized to for the trouble with key cards. Please accept my apology now. We will look forward to seeing you again while your son completes his education at KSU.

Reviewed 8 December 2011

We have had multiple problems with reservations at this location. They either have them, they sometimes had several or they didn't have them at all.
Let's not even talk about whether we were supposed to cancel 24 hours in advance or 7 days in advance,...I think it was at managements discretion and that is wrong. A policy is a policy and it should stay that way no matter what, not change due to whatever reason.
When I have had to have a discussion with Jackie, she has been argumentative and rude - to 3 out of 4 in our family - this is stress no one needs or wants to deal with EVER --
Nice rooms, desk clerks have been very nice and helpful but are stuck in the middle of doing whatever they are told - whenever they are told,....to much trouble for me and our family and now our friends......glad Manhattan is getting more places to stay - have NEVER had this much trouble with reservations and cancellation policies -- even in other countries. Someone should re-consider the management and making policies and keeping policies the same and making guests aware of it again and again and again, because after our experiences, it IS NECESSARY :( Please,..consider this review if you are considering staying here and booking in advance,..you will be surprised. I think if you are staying one night and walk in and get a room you want, it is probably fine but,.....I'd proceed with caution.
If Jackie thinks squeezing every dime out of customers when she can is going to make the hotel more money, she is wrong. Management should treat people as kindly and fairly as possible to keep them coming back again and again. That is good business. Policy is policy but should be stated clearly each and every time and not change when it is convenient for the establishment. So sad :(

Room Tip: I can't say one is better than another - when we did stay, we had a good experience. We usually...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank P M
Reviewed 8 December 2011

The only thing this hotel has going for it is that it is not a chain and it is newer than most in town. After having such a terrible experience, I was determined to get online and warn as many people as possible... Guess I shouldn't have been surprised to find several people have already posted on here with the SAME troubles I had.

This hotel does not care one lick about your business, so don't expect any type of customer service. And in agreement with other reviews - the "boss" was the MOST RUDE OF ALL. My family booked rooms for December graduation weekend - we reserved rooms for Friday and Saturday, but then found out that some people didn't need rooms for Saturday after all. The Monday of that week (5 nights in advance), when I call to cancel I am told that I must cancel 7 days in advance because it is an 'event weekend'. Even though I was specifically told when I booked them in October that I had until 24 hrs before to cancel...

Obviously we asked to speak with someone in charge to work the situation out. The young man we spoke with was very pleasant and polite, so boy were we surprised when his BOSS treated us so rudely! She practically hung up on us, promising to call us back, which she never did. Finally, we called and informed her that we will not be staying with them that weekend or ever again. She informed us our credit card would be charged for the four rooms we booked for 2 nights each, so we called our credit card company who told us that they would side with us in a dispute if charges were made. I get the distinct feeling that this woman is trying to make a buck and ripping people off.

We called another hotel that easily found us rooms, and we will be staying there instead. (Turns out Dec. Graduation is not even considered an event weekend by other hotels in town, I asked) This hotel could be a great place if it had even decent management. As is, I would not recommend it to anyone... No matter how desperate they are.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family