“My favorite Overland Park hotel - great food too”

Marriott Kansas City Overland Park
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I've stayed here twice in the same month, and usually stay at the Sheraton down the road. The Sheraton has nicer rooms (but the Marriott's rooms are equally as good on the Club floors) than the standard Marriott rooms, but the Sheraton's food is HORRIBLE and this Marriott has a Japanese restaurant AND an American/Sports restaurant and both have terrific food. I never say that lightly because I'm a frequent traveler and now very picky about what I eat. The Marriott has been totally redone in its lobby and restaurants and is really hip and enjoyable. The Club levels have updated, roomy, comfortable rooms and I highly recommend upgrading for that extra few dollars. The regular rooms are smaller, more dingy, a bit more worn. But overall, I prefer this hotel to any other in Overland Park and I've stayed at all of the nicer ones during my many trips.

Room Tip: The high level club rooms are by FAR and away better than the other rooms. More updated, bigger, nic...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 18 November 2011

Stayed one night for business. I have been doing too much traveling lately, and this place was a heavenly respite. Quietest hotel I have ever been in. Not one sound from the hall, or next door on either side. I realize this is also a factor of other guests at the hotel, or possibly lack thereof. Bed was very comfortable, and a good breakfast the next day. All in all, just a very nice property in my book.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 November 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Overland Park Marriott when in town for a wedding a few weeks ago, and had a great stay! The bed was extremely comfortable, the room was clean, and the staff was very friendly. The only issue I had was the internet. No Wi-Fi, and you had to pay for it in addition to the room cost. Not a big deal, but I was suprised that they didn't even have Wi-Fi!

Overall, we were very happy though, and would stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2011

I spent four nights at the Overland Park Marriott when I was in town for a family wedding. It was just exactly what I needed--and for $60 a night via Priceline, I would definitely go back!

It's clean. They've put lots of effort into the lobby, clearly, which is modern and chic and well designed, with a nice bar, big screen TVs, and, yes, dance music. The rooms were comfy, the beds were comfy, and I was happy.

I worked out at the fitness center every day. It was definitely adequate, and I was the only person in there every time. The indoor swimming pool and jacuzzi looked lovely, although I didn't make it in for a dip.

My only gripes? Internet is via ethernet cord and costs money. And sodas were $2.50 a pop (no pun intended)--both from the soda machines and at the front desk. Highway robbery, anyone?

But, I'm a happy camper. If life ever sees fit to send me to Kansas City again, I would go back.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

We booked through Priceline, and the first room they gave us was right next to the laundry room and very noisy, but they quickly switched us to a regular room with a great king mattress. We slept well, the place was well kept. Except the parking lot, where in 4 days the overflowing trash was never emptied. Great fitness center and nice pool. Small refrigerator in room. We enjoyed ourselves. Just one thought. This is rated a four star hotel, and didn't feel like "luxury", just nice upscale. Guess there's star inflation!

Room Tip: If they put you next to the laundry room ask to switch!
Reviewed 14 October 2011

My wife and I stayed here a few weeks ago. We were only going to stay a few days visiting a very infirmed family member. Unfortunatly he took a turn for the worse and died. We kept extending our stay every day for a week. Management bent over backwards to accommodate us.I felt that every employee of the hotel cared about what we went through. We even received a sympathy card from the gals in the Concierge lounge. Thank you Overland Park Marriott. You have renewed my faith that a big company can bend and sway to take care of people in need.

1  Thank ylddog
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Any one-night stay can give a false impression. This property is in a great location. It is a huge Marriott and staff was welcoming at check-in and check-out. Biggest plus is a full-size Starbucks in the lobby. Flat screen TVs are nice but no HD programming is a negative. Free wi-fi disconnected often. Toilet in room ran frequently. The clock radio (as pointed out by others) is really a searchlight beacon by your bed - way too bright. Odd noises were audible, such as the rare being able to hear the person in the room next door hang their clothes in the closet, a first. Oddest thing was the restaurant, a Japanese Steak House, was not open on a Tuesday night sign was posted will open again 5 p.m. Wednesday, that's pretty much a stunner. If you get a good price and have business nearby consider this but there have to be other places that are a little bit better if not excellent. Oh, there was a used wine cork on the desk chair, nobody noticed it?

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business