“Pleasant experience in spite of a crowd”

Marriott Kansas City Overland Park
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

Check in process was one of the smoothest, quickest I have EVER experienced. Front desk was almost over staffed every time we walked by, a rarity. Perhaps due to the fact that the hotel seemed very busy with what appeared to be a conference and a lot of high school age athletes staying, but was still quiet and under control. Pool was nice and clean, with swim pass thru from indoor to outdoor. Separate parking available for Starbucks guests. Good value for the price.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Chad M, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience. Our Front Desk hosts are phenominal and I am so happy that you enjoyed your time with us!

Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

We stayed on a Saturday night at the Marriott to attend the wedding of our nephew. It is quite large. In certain ways, the hotel excels, such as quality of dinner items at the wedding as well as breakfast buffet with freshly made smoothie and made to order omelette. A good tip would be to ask about breakfast specials at the reception, and we got almost 50% discount. However, in certain other ways, the high price tag does not equate with the quality of the room, which is smallish. In the heat of July, the AC did not perform very well. The bed felt hard and not cozy. Toilet flush was weak. The elevators were always crowded. Had to ride with a bunch of drunks on the Saturday night. Staff is ok. All things told, the place deserves a three stars, but the food department alone carried it to four stars.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Chad M, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2017

While it is disappointing to hear that our property did not meet your all around expectations, thank you for your candid feedback specific to areas of improvement and for expressing appreciation for the food and beverage offerings throughout your stay. We do perform routine maintenance on all of our HVAC units, but it becomes difficult to manage when temperatures exceed 100 degrees for several consecutive days. Please rest assured that we will continue to work to ensure that our amenities (including air conditioning) are able to meet the needs of all guests. Again, I apologize that we did not provide you with an environment conducive to a good night’s rest.

Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

My stay was only for one night, but I would definitely stay here again. Fast check-in and no complaints about the room (8th floor). Great access to restaurants and shopping! A Starbucks in the lobby was an added bonus!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Chad M, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2017

Thank you for staying with us and I agree........the Starbucks in the lobby makes all the difference early in the morning!

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

I decided to. Ion this hotel because the name, I mean is a Marriot!!!. People are great!!!

The problem is that it looks that the managers don't realize that the basics of a hotel is decent sleeping and bath, this last was okay.

The first night I had a terrible experience probably the worst I ever had. AC was terrible noisy. I was moved to another room at 4 am in the morning.......

I understand that if you have your AC on Auto, you will be saving some energy but this one, every time turned on it was like going from Mozart to Metallica in one second.....

Please if you decide to stay in this hotel be aware and check the noise, specially if you want to have a nice peaceful night.

Terrible experience.

Stayed: July 2017
Chad M, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2017

Guest feedback is appreciated and helpful for us as we strive to provide the level of service every guest expects and deserves. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback specific to your stay, and please accept my sincere apology that your experience with us was so severely impacted by the noise associated with the HVAC unit. Please know that we proactively service each unit within the hotel several times throughout the year as we understand that unwanted noise can be distressing, especially during the late night hours. Your comments will help us to be better hosts to our guests and are sincerely appreciated. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to reach out to the hotel and ask to speak with the General Manager. Once again, thank you for being our guest and I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

Nice hotel had a meeting here and the lobby is very nice, the hotel is very large. Didn't stay in a room, so have no comments on that, but service and the areas we were in were all very nice.
There's a Starbucks to the right of the entry and the breakfast area, didn't seem that big, but the food I saw seemed pretty good.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 June 2017

The staff was very friendly. The food in the lounge was very good. The room was clean and pretty up to date. No issues with the room.
The internet was VERY slow. I did report it the last day so maybe they had an issues.
The gym was nice and all the machines but one worked. The one that didn't I reported and they were not aware. I try to report things so it can be fixed for the next person.
If my kids had come they would have liked the pool as it goes from indoors to outside. It looked nice.

Room Tip: Higher the better
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 June 2017

As a Marriott rewards loyalist in my travels I have come to expect that my expectations may not always match the service I receive. Staff are allowed bad days...but dishing out attitude in the executive floor lounge and not keeping the breakfast bar area stocked during peak breakfast hours is not an excuse. While this is a very solid Marriott property, the location is excellent and the rooms very comfortable, they need to work on the service in the executive floor and lounge. This is not the first time this has happened and I hope management will work on this soon.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Chad M, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2017

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback. Please know that we do take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. Please accept my apology that you were not completely satisfied with your experience. I am disappointed that our efforts did not make you feel comfortable while travelling away from home and will share your thoughts with our team in an effort to improve the service experience for future guests.