“A good hotel for the price”

Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Nall Ave
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I read several reviews about this hotel and was initially a little concerned. I am glad to report that my concerns were not needed. It is not the Ritz, so if you are looking for the Ritz you will be disappointed so go ahead and book at the Ritz and pay thier price. If you are just looking for a really cheap, comfortable place to lay your head...then this is the place for you.

There is nothing fancy about this hotel. Is it outdated...yes. Do they need a little newer, nicer linens....yes. However, my room was clean, air worked well, staff was friendly and it served our needs. It was perfect for us for the price!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Misty A
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Nall Ave, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Homestead Kansas City - Overland Park. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

There are newer reviews for Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Nall Ave

Reviewed 12 February 2012

Although the pictures on the website appear to be nice, my first encounter with this hotel was over the phone as I called ahead to ensure they knew I was coming while driving to KC. I had to go through multiple prompts and waiting time to get to a live voice, and then I was informed by the desk clerk that they always closed the front desk right on the hour. Luckily, I made it just in time, and while unloading my car I watched them pull down the metal locking shield closing off access to their front desk, as well closing the door to their pantry. Although from the outside this place looks well-cared for, the inside leaves a LOT to be desired. The rooms were unclean, someone's HAIR found on the sheets, broken floor tiles and even a broken glass coffee pot in the room. Something resembling sawdust mixed with coffee grounds was in the kitchenette drawers, along with only 2 mismatched forks and knives, both dirty and disgusting, looking as if had been licked off and put back in drawer. Old dehydrated, burned macaroni pieces in the kitchen sink. The night worker was very friendly, and she changed the sheets and brought me a brand, new coffeepot, although it did nothing about the lack of feeling secure in the place. She offered to put me in another room, but due to the lateness of the hour, and already knowing what else was WRONG with the room I was in, I didn't feel the next room would be any better, and feared it would be even worse!! The hotel's "pantry" consisted of 2 vending machines containing food/ drink/ toothbrushes/ shampoo etc, which are in a locked room requiring your room key to enter. Even though you have a room key, however, after hours you also have to have the night staff ESCORT you to get a Coke from that machine at night, as your room key will not unlock the pantry after hours! When a place has to lock up it's vending machines even from it's paying patrons at night.... how safe is it to sleep at --- really??? My second floor window wouldn't even lock (broken). The only positive thing is that I didn't SEE any bugs...No local shopping either --- must drive across town unless just buying from gas station shelves!! I stayed awake my first night there and got out of there as FAST as I could the next day! Definitely NOT worth the money or lost sleep, even if you bring your own gun for safety!!! Big disappointment for being in the convention center area~!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Nall Ave, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Homestead Kansas City - Overland Park. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

Reviewed 20 January 2012

Lots of shopping and eating places around. Had lots of area to walk the dog. It snowed, and de-icer was promptly applied. Staff responsive to needs. Good stay-I would return.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 6 November 2011

The rooms are spacious, and there is a kitchenette. The front desk was polite.

The entire floor smelled like it had been smoked in, as did the room itself.

The toilet was not clean, in fact someone had left an unwelcome present and there was urine on it as well.

The bed appeared to have been slept in. I found a bracelet in the sheets.

Not for the squeamish.

The price was low, that's about all I can say.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Didn't pay much. Extremely clean. Don't expect any service. Full kitchen a plus.

Room Tip: Someone told me rooms on 1st floor no good. Lobby is on floor 2.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Clean and quiet. Couple minutes walk to the O.P. Conference Center. No frills, but having kitchenette and laundry was great. Pleasant staff. Comfortable bed. Wireless worked fine - was supposed to cost $5 one time, but I'm not sure I was even charged it.
I was nervous after reading other review about late night lock up; but hotel staff was good to their word... I arrived around midnight and clerk answered my ring and got me checked in no problem.
If you want 10 down pillows on your bed, marble counters and high class... go 1 block up the road and pay 2-3 times more. But for me, this inexpensive place to sleep and cook did it for me.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank SueFromVT
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Stayed at this place for 2 nights.

Its a very nice place for the price I paid. However, it lacks human touch.

Rooms are spacious and are equipped with a functional kitchen. Bed is good, has old style TV in room. Never checked the program listing. During my stay the wifi internet never worked and they don't have any provision for wired internet connection. Though they refunded internet fee, but it was a big convenience.

Will I stay again? Hmmm not sure..

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business