“A very nice experience”

Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Humble, TX
“A very nice experience”
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We stayed here for a convention & were lucky enough to get a two room suite. The room was spotless & the bed was extremely comfortable. The management went out of their way to make sure everything was right for our convention. The breakfast was incredibly good. If I am ever back in Overland Park, I know where I am going to stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
GM-36, Rooms Division Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West, responded to this review, 3 October 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback about your recent visit. I am very pleased to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your recent stay with us. Along with my team, I look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 29 September 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend while up in KC for Ren Fest. The room was very clean and housekeeping did a great job of stopping by while we were gone (we never did see them). We got one of the first floor suites for a small additional charge. Both the sitting room and the bedroom had LCD televisions with all your standard channels.

The sinks are outside the bathroom so one person can shower while the other gets ready without fogging up the mirror. They also have the pillow order service so I go my fluffy pillows and my wife got her hard-as-a-rock pillows. Our room also had a 5 or 6 cup coffee maker which was nice because the coffee at the Green Mill restaurant in the hotel is horrible, I don't mean just a little bad, I mean I can't remember the last time I had coffee this horrendous before type bad!

The restaurant in general is not worth the money. Some of the food is "okay" but most of it is sub-par. The service seems to be hit or miss also. Do NOT order room service, it's a complete rip off. 18% gratuity + a delivery fee + they ask for an additional tip! We were like 50 feet from the restaurant... wish someone would pay me to walk 50 feet!

Overall though the hotel itself is very nice and the staff is very friendly. Fastest check-in I have ever experienced! We'll stay here again next time we head up to KC!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks for posting your comments on TripAdvisor. We're happy to learn you enjoyed your stay.

I have forwarded your comments to the restaurant management & staff as we strive for much higher standards than it appears you received. You’re positive accolades are greatly appreciated however we welcome the comments that help us improve even more.

Thanks for choosing the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park Kansas and we'll look forward to serving you again the next time you visit the area.

Alan Jenner
Rooms Division Manager
Eatonton, Georgia
Reviewed 27 September 2011

This Hotel is typical of what is found in the chain. It was clean, quiet, well maintined and the staff was helpful. It offered the best value in the area and plenty of free parking. It is convienient to the conference center.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
• Dear Guest

Thanks for letting us know you enjoyed your recent stay.

We appreciate you choosing the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park Kansas and invite you to stay with us again the next time you are in town!

Alan Jenner
Rooms Division Manager
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Seriously, I am amazed at the reviews that gave this place anything above one star. The only reason I gave it one star is because you have to on TripAdvisor. Otherwise it would get zero stars. Now keep in mind I was only physically at the hotel for an hour as I walked out, but let me walk you through my 60 minutes of hotel nirvana.

I arrive around midnight to check in and I see a sign that states I should call Extension 2770 because the front office person is working in the back. I call it five times and no one answers. Meanwhile what appears to be a staff housekeeper is sitting on one of the lobby couches talking on her cell phone in Spanish. Therefore I couldn't understand what she was saying. Needless to say she wasn't in any hurry to help me locate the front desk receptionist. After roughly 20 minutes or so Tbone decides to pop his head out of the 'back office.' He seemed surprised that I was actually there. Perhaps they don't get much traffic after midnight or perhaps they don't get much traffic at all. After a few minutes I received the 'keys to the kingdom.' I mosey on over to the elevator and stepped inside the 4 ft x 6 ft elevator (no joke, you couldn't fit more than 4 people max in it). I key into my room and was hit with a massive musty odor that smelled like 10 wet dogs had been living there for months. I peruse the room and see the following: (1) Two double beds that couldn't fit an average human being; (2) carpet stains near the AC unit; (3) a box TV that had to be one of the first televisions ever made-surprisingly it did not have rabbit ears attached to it; (4) furniture that would make college dorm rooms seem like 'The W' and finally (5) something that appeared to be a blood stain in the toilet. It was some red dot that I can only imagine where it came from. After this I proceeded to scour the room looking for any 'chalk outlines' that I may have missed on my first go-around.

Needless to say I took a few pictures (to show my buddies) and proceeded to head on over to the Hyatt Place where they actually have furniture/TV's that were made post 1960.

Like I said whoever wrote reviews on here giving this place anything above 1-star needs to raise their expectations. Seriously! I'm not looking for the Ritz Carlton, however when the carpet is older than I am (I'm 38) then we have issues.

Room Tip: Save your money!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Penrose72
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed at this Holiday Inn on the way back from our family vacation in Colorado. We booked it the same day of our stay, and did it through the smart phone. We didn't have a lot of info, but were relieved to find a room in Overland Park, on such short notice. The staff that helped me book the hotel was very friendly and helpful. We arrived later at night and there was a wedding going on. A lot of kids were running about. Basically, the hotel is a typical "downtown" hotel, vertical. It was very clean and decorated very nicely in the lobby. The one and BEST feature of this property is Stacey, the front desk person. He was AMAZING!!! Lovely sense of humor and very accommodating, as we were checking in. During this process, kids were running, without correction. After getting our room keys, we proceeded there. I was a typical hotel room, but it smelled musty. I usually can't smell very well, but I detected this and it was bothersome. Apparently, in addition to the wedding reception taking place, there was also a girls' softball team staying at the hotel. As a result, there was very annoying constant running up and down the hallways - on every floor. We met guest in the elevator that complained of the teens running all over the hotel. This noise and commotion finally settled down around midnight. I have a feeling the front desk had to step in. But, at 4:30 am, the fire alarm went off, and stayed blaring for an extended period of time. Finally a hotel worker came on our floor and we asked if there was a fire. No, it was the kids marauding around the hotel. Admittedly the hotel can't be a "babysitter" to a large number of kids, but they did do what they could to control the situation. The mustiness in the room is something they can control. It seemed to be a dated property with some areas needing more attention than others. We got a very reasonable rate, but when we stepped into our room, we understood why. They needed to fill the hotel, so they made the price very attractive. We would have opted for different hotel, had we known. Usually we have very good stays at Holiday Inn properties, but this one needs some attention. Stacey needs a raise though!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Easy on and off the highway, quiet restful sleep with great helpful staff. Nice accomodations and great nights sleep.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We stayed at this hotel because a convention was being held there. The staff was friendly, and the wake up call we requested was delivered on time. However, only one out of the two key cards worked, and we kept having to swap out the key card that didn't work. The room was clean. They didn't have any toothbrushes, toothpaste, or deodorant (since our luggage was delayed and didn't arrive until the next day), even though a placard in the bathroom said they did. Some travel sites also show an iHome dock and a flat-screen TV in each room, as well as a hotel store, but they had a regular clock radio, older TV, and no hotel store. We ate dinner one night at the in-hotel restaurant and service was slow at 9:00 at night, and there was only 1 person working the restaurant. We did, however, get free in-room Wi-Fi, which was great, and the bed was comfortable. I would recommend this hotel, but make sure your luggage doesn't get lost or delayed. Overall, we had a pretty good stay.

Room Tip: Get a room with a sofa
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family