Ways to Experience Lady Musgrave Island
from US$160.10
More Info
from US$278.40
More Info
All reviews sea sickness glass bottom boat island tour day trip the great barrier reef fish open ocean dead corals glassbottom boat morning tea scuba diving interesting history reef sharks an amazing experience brisbane board crew
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I've travelled to many places around the world for snorkelling & diving including the famous Sipadan Reef (Borneo) but if you live in Australia and don't visit Lady Musgrave then you're really missing out. The island is just beautiful and with the most interesting history as well as the birds and plants who inhabit it. The reef itself is pristine, don't expect the bright colourful corals that you'll see in slightly warmer waters but you can expect to see lots of turtles and reef sharks and the corals are teeming with colourful fish. The tour operators are excellent and explain and understand all there is to know about the eco system, they are super passionate about the reef. Truly a beautiful place and lets hope it stays like this, too often these places are spoilt and disrespected with tourist activity.

2  Thank m0nique89
Reviewed October 3, 2018 via mobile

The boat trip is a bit long. Do take your anti seasickness tablets, but otherwise everything was perfect. I skipped the glasbottom boat and Island tour in order to snorkel more instead. To hire a wetsuit costs 10 aud for the day. Recommended if you stay in as long as I did :)

1  Thank Erik_Gjessing
Reviewed September 18, 2018

we did family tour with Lady Musgrave tour and part of it was to visit this beautiful island. What surprised me was that it was made of shells, dead corals and stuff and now there is life on it. birds, trees, insects, little animals have now called this island as their home. the view is spectacular and can understand why human species can never beat nature when it comes to innovation.

1  Thank Yuvraj P
Reviewed August 25, 2018 via mobile

this is not a cheap place to visit (sorry, i’m always about money), but it is definitely worth the price.

we start out waiting by the cold windy marina, and about the boarding time (730am?), the crew came over and prepped us for entry.
we were divided into 3 groups - people learning to dive, and 2 normal tourist groups..
we were then invited to get onto the boat and choose our seats, it is a nice sheltered area with cushioned seats and tables

according to the crew, we were lucky and the weather is very good. however, going out into the open ocean is never totally smooth, i realised i cannot sit in the cabin at all (therefore missing out totally on the morning tea) - going to the washroom on board the boat requires me to be locked in a small airless enclosure, and being against the direction of the boat.. which almost made me toss my cookies, fortunately or unfortunately, since i didn’t have any food, there is nothing i can eject from the system. so, maybe you should avoid the toilet until you reach the sunny island and the boat has stopped moving..

the boat has 3 levels, the bottom level is where the cabins are, the second has a nice padded bench thing and a balcony of sorts. the top deck has lots of benches that you can sit on. both the second and top deck are open air, which is great for my pacnicky stomach..

when the boat reaches the island, you can choose to go straight into scuba diving, or go on the glassbottom boat and the island. as the island is made entirely from corals grounded into sand, there are only a few species of plants and birds on the island, and lots of corals and sea cucumbers on the beach.

(it is pretty good to have land under your feet after 2hr 45 min on a boat, but if you don’t get seasick, you might want to go snorkeling straightaway rather than do the tour.

the snorkeling is gorgeous! and well worth the $10 wetsuit rental..

1  Thank kittylys
Reviewed July 16, 2018

This is going to be a long one but bear with me...

My original booking for this trip was sadly cancelled due to weather conditions but I managed to rebook for my last weekend in Australia - something I am very glad of now!

This 3-day trip was the highlight of my friend and I's month holiday of Australia for so many reasons!

Our lovely guide and driver Harry picked us up from Brisbane on day 1 and on our way to Kelly's Resort we stopped at a lovely little zoo where there was the opportunity to feed kangaroos, pet some lovely koalas and even hold snakes! Their saltwater crocodile show was so interesting and informative, with all the keepers being very friendly and knowledgeable.

We then stopped for a fabulous home cooked meal from Harry - who easily catered for all of the group's dietary requirements, and then we were able to try fresh sugar cane and macadamia nuts, with amazing local ice-cream for dessert!

We arrived at Kelly's resort that evening and had time to explore the beach and enjoy the heated pool and sauna before dinner and bed before the early start! The resort itself was 'luxury accommodation' to us - having backpacked around for a month!

Day 2 was INCREDIBLE. Our trip out to Lady Musgrave Island was made very special by Phil and Jess and their glass bottom boat and island tour! We were delighted to see dolphins alongside the boat and whales along the horizon, and had the most unforgettable experience of being able to snorkel alongside not one but five turtles!
Once back we were treated to fabulous BBQ - again by the ever-talented chef Harry.

Day 3 sadly was our return to Brisbane, where we stopped for Chinese food for lunch, saw the Bundaberg soft drinks and rum distilleries before being dropped off back to Brisbane!

Overall an amazing experience. I would recommend the trip to those looking to see the reef, who wish to travel in a group and don't mind sharing accommodation/ transport and have no aversion to good home cooked food!

Reviewed July 7, 2018

At the start of the day the lady @ the booking table didn't have all her paperwork & had to return to the office to get it. Once on board the cruise boat we were headed to Lady Musgrave Island. There was no wind but the swell of the ocean made it a HORENDOUS trip out to the island!!! The boat would ride the swell then crash down into the trough & many times lifted all the passengers out of our seats only to slam back down onto metal arm rests causing bruising to arms. At least 75% of passengers spent the trip with there heads over sick bags (Myself included). One lady passenger was almost hysterical & had to be calmed by the staff, only then did the captain try to smooth the ride by riding sideways over the waves! On arrival @ the island, water & plain biscuits were given to the sick & morning tea was also supplied. Eventually those that were ill started to feel better.
The island & snorkelling was great & also the viewing from the glass bottom boat! The crew did a great job, a delicious lunch was supplied & scones for afternoon tea. Thankfully the return trip was smooth.

1  Thank Diane B
Reviewed June 27, 2018

I was almost leaving town when I saw an ad on the street about the island snorkelling tour. Went into the booking office to have a look on the deal but was not really into going out at all as just basically came back form Whitsundays 3 days 2 nights sailing (where I was a bit disappointed).
Staff was friendly and honest, not pushy at all. The lady spent quite some time with me showing me real pictures from previous travellers and real data on the weather.
At the end I decided to go for a one day trip and it was one of the best decision I have ever made. Corals were exactly as shown on pictures in the office (not quite bright and colourful then on TV) and I was able to swim with a turtle!
Coming out from the trip I stopped at the booking office and thanked the staff for this trip.

Reviewed May 9, 2018 via mobile

Great excursion! The lagoon and the water are fabulous and you're absolutely sure to see turtles. We saw octopus, ray, a little shark and so many colorful fish. The crew is very qualified and friendly. One of the best snorkeling spot.

2  Thank Relax703258
Reviewed March 22, 2018

I did a snorkel tour ... plenty to observe ... a pretty area, with turtles, and many small to medium size fishes.

Reviewed December 20, 2017

We visited this island on a day trip via boat, and spent most of our time on the boat or doing glass bottom boat tours. We wish we'd spent more time on the island itself as it is just beautiful, we could easily spend a week there if we were more proficient campers!

5  Thank lexikate90