“Had a problem before I even stayed there”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Wichita West
Ranked #73 of 87 Hotels in Wichita
Reviewed 16 March 2011

I didn't even get a chance to stay here before I encountered a problem. Since this hotel was close to relatives, I decided to give it a try even though the reviews weren't very good. I made reservations online. When I needed to change the arrival date to one day earlier, the web site was a little confusing on how to do this so I called the hotel. When the hotel clerk pulled up my reservations she said I had 4 nights in a King smoking room. I said no I have a king non-smoking room. I was on the phone with her looking at my reservation online. I said how could I have non-smoking on my reservation and she had smoking. She had no answer. I was told a double non-smoking was available for the 5 nights that I needed but the AARP price was $87.99 and I originally had the king room for $71.99. I would have to pay an addition $16 a night more for their mistake. Since she was not willing to give me the $71.99 rate I had originally and somehow their system made a mistake, I just told her to cancel my reservation and I went somewhere else.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MinnesotaVisitor

Reviewed 27 January 2011

My toilet ran all the time they said the maintenance guy wasn't available.
My remote didn't work; they just said sorry but couldn't fix it.
They ran out of beer in the happy hour at the bar.
My room had spiders in the towels.
My room was dirty.
The computer in the lobby was broken.
After all of that, I asked for a 2 pm checkout so I could join a conference call from my room and they said they would have to charge me for another night.

Don't even think of staying here unless you have really low standards. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to an enemy.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank willgr26
Reviewed 9 January 2011

Rooms smell musty, no hot water, breakfast terrible, had to wiggle toilet handle to get it to quit running every time flushed, billed more than quoted and confirmed. Reserved three nights. Changed hotels after one.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Arrived at this hotel at 9:30 on a Friday night to be told that they no longer allow pets. I was highly annoyed because their website clearly states that they are pet-friendly. The desk clerk said that they changed that policy a few months ago. I had even put on the "notes" section of the reservation that we would be traveling with our small dog. Why didn't someone call me and fill me in on the new policy?? Then, to add to the frustration I was told that I would still be charged for the reservation since it needed to be cancelled by 6pm!! Absolutely ridiculous!! When I asked for help finding a hotel that allows pets he simply pointed to the computer in the lobby and said I was welcome to try to find one. It took us 1/2 hour to find another hotel, all the while our kids and dog waiting out in the car. No apologies - nothing! Horrible customer service.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank 3scrambledeggs
Reviewed 11 August 2010

Our friends' son got married and they reserved a block of rooms in February of 2010 for their guests. We called in July the day before we were to check in to confirm our room. They had no record of us. They said the old manager was no longer with them and he is the one who made those reservations. After doing some digging we found out our reservation was canceled 2 days after it was made in February. No one in our party did this because we needed the room. Others in the wedding party also had trouble with their reservations.We told them our confirmation # and they said that they had given our rooms away. We initially reserved a room with 2 queens, they put us in 2 seperate rooms with a king. The air conditioner was broke in our room and they had put a small portable one in its place. The vent to this air conditioner was wedged into the sliding glass window where someone could have easily cut the screen and got in to our room. There was no securing of our belongings. We were gone for several hours and it did not cool the room down. They moved us down the hall to a room on the other side of the hotel away from our 2 children (wasn't comfortable with that).We asked the desk clerk where the advertised swimming pool was at and he said it was over a mile away. He said he wouldn't let his kids walk that far to it. When my friend and I checked in I didn't read a very small sign at the end of the counter. It had the hotel dog policy written in small print that it would cost $25 per night for a pet. I brought my dog in the front entrance along with its big kennel, dog food ,leash, etc. right past the hotel clerk when I brought my luggage in. I didn't tell them I had a pet because our friend made the reservations for us they put it on their credit card and I assumed they told them we had a pet when they made the reservations. I was NOT trying to hide the fact that I had a dog. I let her out twice to go pee and I took her right by the front desk each time. If I was trying to hide the dog I would have gone out a side door or somewhere else. The next day they called my room and asked if I had a dog in my room. I said yes because why would I think that would be a problem it is a pet friendly hotel. They informed me that I would be charged for the pet and that their policy is that all pets have to stay in a smoking room due to the allergy problems caused by pets. I asked them where that policy is stated and the young lady desk clerk said that is their policy and pointed to the sign at the counter. First of all my kid has asthma and had I known this was their policy I would have never even brought my dog if I had to be in a smoking room. No where was that mentioned on their web site or in the hotel signage. I told the clerk that imagine if a person had traveled long distances with their pet, only to find out when they get there that they have to stay in a smoking room and they absolutely can't do that. Well ,that is our policy is all I heard. Luckily I only lived an hour away and took my dog back home. All of this within 2 hours of the wedding. When I got back the clerk said that they would charge us extra for the pet. I thought that meant the $25 dollar charge. Boy was I wrong! They charged a whopping $150 plus $25 for the pet fee plus my room rate! I said I don't have a problem paying the additional $25 but the $150 is rediculous! I was not a happy camper! I had asked to speak to the manager but it was on a weekend and she did not want to call them at home. She reluctantly called and said she was done dealing with us and we could talk to the manager on monday by phone! My wife called the owner and she was rude and said I can charge anything I want because this is my hotel. She was right, because the corporate office was called and they said their hands are tied because they are independently owned and can charge what they like. I AM WRITING THIS BAD REVIEW TO WARN OTHERS ABOUT THE HORRIFICLY TERRIBLE, RUDE SERVICE AND THE UNWILLINGNESS TO RECTIFY A BAD SITUATION! There was no compromise, I offered to split the payment in half and they refused! Oh, on top of all this we told the cleaning lady when she came by that we would not be gone from our room until early afternoon, she said she would come back later and clean it. We got back later that night and our room was never cleaned! DO NOT STAY HERE IT IS THE WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE I'VE EVER HAD!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Scooterkoto3
Reviewed 8 August 2010

one night in this hotel $157, you would think for the price it would be a decent room. However, when we walked in the jacuzzi had pubic hair all over in it, so did the sheets. There was blood smeared on on of the throw pillows. I am not above staying in a sleezy hotel, but not paying $157 a night

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stace10
Reviewed 17 February 2010

I have stayed at this place 2 years in a row now, as I attend a small convention event held there annually in November. While the facilities are adequate for the event, the room cost is excessive considering the location and amenities it offers. It is located in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by fast food places (but not a Starbucks in sight). It's next to a golf course, but I'm not there for golf (esp. in windy Nov.). It serves a adequate breakfast that's included in the room rate, but little to no variety if you're stuck there for more than a day or 2. It has no restaurant; it has a "bar" of sorts--cheap wine available to guests. The tax rate on the room is approximately 50%, so a $100 room (the average rm cost here) ends up costing $150. Wichita really likes to gouge its visitors!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business