Buckhorn Lake State Resort
US$87
Hotels.com
US$88
US$84
All reviewsbuckhorn lakeswimming poolnearest townroom was cleannice lodgefamily reunionwafflesbit datedfishing poleslodge roomsgreat roombalconyhazardlodginginternetcerealpet
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 October 2011

IMy husband and I decided to visit Buckhorn again. Our last time was in 2004. We remembered only good things about this park.
This was not the case this time. The food in the restaurant is overly priced for what we got.. My husband had chopped sirlon ( hamburger pattie ) and fries and slaw. I had a philly cheesestake and fries and the total was $20 and some change. I had water and my husband drank tea. We were told at check in that they had a continental breakfast and that sounded great. It turned out to be nothing more than some tasteless gravy and biscuits. They had 1% milk and generic butter and syrup which I will tell you tasted like nothing. There are no options as far as breakfast. If you want bacon and sausage and eggs you might want to stay somewhere else or make the long trip back to Jackson for food in the morining. The rooms are still dated but worst than they were in 2004.. We ended up after the first night of having to change rooms because of a faulty outlet that we needed for our computer. They were very nice about the move and the staff was great. The down side outweighs the friendliness of the staff.. We have visited just about all the resort parks and this one is in need of a overhaul as soon as possible. There is no gift shop anymore and no ordering off a menu for breakfast and no options to eat elsewhere. Check out some of the other state parks and bypass this one until changes are made..

Room Tip: All the rooms have great views. Just keep in mind that they are dated and there is no cell phone service.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Judy C
Reviewed 20 October 2011

My husband and I needed a weekend away but were low on funds, with his military discount we got a room here for $45.00 !!!!!!!!!!! Normally it is 65 or so, but it's a great place. I wouldn't have been thrilled about the visit if it had been over $100.00, but the room was very clean and pretty. Our room looked over the lake but also the pool which had been drained and no cover on it. EYE SORE! The staff was super nice, the dinner at the lodge was good, excellent considering the view from our table. Note: this is the only place around, it's worth the drive, but it is a dry county so if you want wine or beer, make sure you bring it. No stores around. We also rented a pontoon boat and enjoyed the lake. I just wish we had got a KY fishing license and brought our poles. Great place for peace and quiet.

Room Tip: All rooms have lake view........suggest that they don't put you behind pool.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank onthegowPhilandboys
Reviewed 26 August 2011

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in July. We took advantage of the pool and the hiking trails, and were pleasantly surprised to discover that our room included a nice, private balcony overlooking the lake. Reading on the balcony may have been my favorite part of the trip, not to mention just enjoying the view! The rooms were clean, spacious, and had charming rustic decor with exposed beams and wooden furniture.

We did plan to hike more on our trip, but the big draw here is the lake. For hikers, you might be better off at another park--by the end of day two, we were getting a little stir-crazy as we had already explored all the trails and were less than interested in boating.

One downside for a quiet, relaxing couple's trip--and this may have just been bad luck--but there were at least two large family groups staying here at the same time, so the pool was often filled with small kids and the restaurant got a little overloud with kid noise sometimes. On the flip side--looks like a great place to bring the whole family!

The restaurant was nice, reasonably priced, and had wonderful service. You'll pay a little more here than you would for the same food elsewhere, but I consider it paying for convenience, and I'm fine with that. There was a free continental breakfast, which was not advertised on the Kentucky State Parks site and was a nice surprise!

We enjoyed our stay, but as we'd prefer a quieter location with more hiking, would probably chose a different location next time.

Room Tip: Ask for the third floor for the best balcony view.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank R M
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Twenty one people and I from Berea College working under EPG, Entrepreneurship for the public good, visited the Buckhorn Lake State Resort Park today. We used the conference room in this resort and ate lunch in the restaurant in the same place.

The conference room was large with many chairs so it was comfortable for us to present. The restaurant was also fabulous place for various reasons. First, I liked the wooden foundation and structure of the restaurant, the chairs and the doors were all made of wood. Second, an Elk statue in front of the resort is another attractive thing I saw.

I ordered Southern veggie mix with Pinto soup. I enjoyed it because they brought all vegetables: broccoli, cauliflower and, beans all freshly cooked. It was as good as home made food. I think spending time in this place was worth driving all the way from Hazard, Hampton Inn.
I wish we had more time to discover the lake, jump in one of the boats and take pictures but unfortunately, we had to leave.
So, I recommend this place to anyone who wants to spend time enjoying nature. Luwam Okbazion

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank LuwamO
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Our group did not actually stay at the resort, but we did utilize their facilities for business purposes as well as dining purposes. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. They were very polite and conscious of our needs. We also had a very good experience in the downstairs restaurant. I personally got the Southwestern Veggie Wrap which included roasted corn, black beans, cheese, tomato, onions, etc. Delicious! Some of my colleagues got the Hot Brown which was a hit, and I would personally recommend it as well!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business