“Fresh & Tasty Sushi”

Ranked #6 of 41 Restaurants in Erlanger
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood
Reviewed April 7, 2016 via mobile

I went to Jo An for a solo dinner on a Wednesday evening while staying at the Courtyard across the parking lot. I had white miso soup, a tuna avocado roll, and a shrimp tempura roll. The tuna was extremely fresh and my entire meal was delicious. Service was friendly and prompt. I would definitely recommend going, especially if you are staying in a nearby hotel and want to avoid a chain restaurant. I gave 4/5 stars because while the food was great, the restaurant had a strong cooking/frying smell to it that permeated my clothes and hair. Not enough to deter me from returning, just could have better ventilation.

Reviewed April 4, 2016

We ate here because we stayed in the Courtyard across the parking lot, otherwise I can't imagine we would ever have found it. It sits unobtrusively in the bottom of an office park. Sashimi, gyoza, sushi and the grilled fish we had were all excellent.

Reviewed March 17, 2016

This was closest restaurant according to Siri. Our family was surprised to find this gem on the bottom of a business building. Each of us tried something different and then enjoyed trying each other's dishes. Even with chopsticks we were able to get enough in our mouths to enjoy the food.

Reviewed March 10, 2016 via mobile

A gem off the beaten path. Very very good sushi. Goyza was exceptional. Very good service and nice atmosphere. Definite recommend.

Reviewed February 29, 2016

So I first went to Jo An about 7 years ago for lunch when I was out here on business. I remember going with some co-workers and it was a good experience. We probably went twice over the period of a couple of months. I had totally forgotten about the place until I searched for restaurants around the hotel when I recently returned. I went to dinner solo there on a Monday night and it was similar to how I remembered things. I was able to walk from the Courtyard and remembered to go in the front door of the offices and take a left to get to their entry.
I had looked at their menu online and already had my heart set on Una Ju (unagi/eel and rice). The menu at the restaurant didn't have it but I asked and they made it for me. They did charge $27 when the online menu said $17 but it was also double-stacked with BBQ eel and I had a hard time finishing it. It was AWESOME! Reminded me of the first time I had it in Taiwan (yes, not Japanese but Asian nonetheless).
There was a Japanese man there that cracked me up. Very personable. Kept telling me that the dish was an aphrodeisiac. Then we started quoting some lines from Full Metal Jacket about a scene where some Marines met a local girl - if you know the movie, you know the lines.
Overall dinner was pleasant, great food, good service, and what I was after. If you're looking for a lot of fanfare, this is not the place but if you're after solid Japanese food in a low-key setting then this is your place.