“LOVE THEM!”

Chung GI WHA Restaurant
Ranked #102 of 234 Restaurants in Florence
Price range: US$25 - US$35
Reviewed 5 June 2017

The best Korean BBQ, and only, in the area. The only knock is that it's VERY spendy. The food is great though.

Reviewed 15 July 2016 via mobile

If do go avoid driving around rush hour, traffic can be brutal. I could not find a menu because it's a buffet. They had the raw marinated meats you would pick and chose. Bul ko gi ribeye, Kalbi short ribs, squid, pork belly, I think chicken, 2 soups, rice, some romaine lettuce (put a bit of rice on the leaf with some meat and kimchi, roll it up and pop it in your mouth), 4 kinds of pan chan cabbage kimchi, radish kimchi, cucumber kimchi, and a dried radish kimchi. They also had a few other things like shrimp and muscles.

The marinated meats were good, pieces were a bit smaller than I would like and they were not as strongly seasoned as I would have liked. But, it was still food.

The kimchi was, I think, a bit older. I am not Korean, but I did live there for a year. To me it had a bit of a sharp flavor I associate with kimchi that was older and would use in Kimchi Jiggie (a stew).

The one downside was it was expensive I think. $40 minus tip for one person. I would give it 3.5 if possible. I did not think it was a 4. I might go back again, but would try! Another one first.

Reviewed 26 September 2015

Korean BBQ isn't just a meal, it's an event. It's a few hours long at least, and a slow process. You cook your own food, chat with friends/family, etc...

If you haven't done Korean BBQ before, you will most likely be a little confused when walking in and looking at the buffet, etc. Now, this place will run around $35 to $40 a person. A LOT of people complain about the price, but with all the meat and seafood you are getting, and the experience, it works out just fine. Kalbi beef (boneless short ribs), for instance, is on the buffet. Go order a single dish of Kalbi beef at a Korean restaurant and you are looking at $20+. They also have scallops, huge Tiger shrimp, bulgogi ribeye beef (awesome), spicy pork, spicy chicken, etc, etc, and an array of korean side items. You can wrap some of the meats up in lettuce and add garlic, some dipping sauce, etc...
It's ran by a older man and woman, and the man will be of more assistance. When i was there, it was all Koreans, which speaks volumes of the authenticity...
So, in short, this place is awesome....

3  Thank arribaperu
Reviewed 26 July 2015 via mobile

This was my first KBBQ experience. We went for a new dinner experience with another couple and really enjoyed the plethora of options from beef, pork and various seafood proteins, along with several different veggies. Overall, the setting is not up to par for the price you are paying. ($35-40 per person). No alcohol selection and mediocre service were big turn offs.

For me it was a one time trial,we were satisfied and I would recommend to others to try it for the experience because the food was great, but there really wasn't any value due to the price point.

1  Thank dpeezy
Reviewed 12 June 2013

This is an interesting dining concept. Never dined at a Korean restaurant before. The place always looked empty to us, but the night we were there most guests did not arrive until about 7:30 or 8:00pm.

They offer a buffet. The interesting thing about this buffet is the meat/chicken/pork/seafood and vegetables are raw. You cook the food at your table, to your liking. In the middle of your table is a 'pit'. The waitress brings some type of wood, on fire. It is more smoldering and stayed hot for the entire time we were there, about 3 hours. She places a dome grate over the top and you cook your food here.

No need to be alarmed about the raw meat. The marinated meat is sliced extremely thin so it cooks very quickly. Steak was absolutely delicious. We realized the vegetables need to go on first - depending upon how done you like your veggies. There is also white rice and soups. The salad bar portion is definitely not american, but it was very good.

Expensive, about $33 per person, but worth a treat maybe every quarter of the year.