“What’s with the spiders and ...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort Knox
Camp Carlson Army Recreational Area
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

The shower building is clean inside but covered in webs on the outside. Some of the tent sites have poison ivy . Both of these indicate no attention to detail. Otherwise it is a nice place, quiet guest but the road running beside it is busy , all day & night.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 1 July 2017

As a military family, we move a lot and we have few stable friends. Our family, kids, are also military and displaced; its a way of life for us. We serve our country, period.
Our first visit to Camp Carlson, and what a wonderful experience it is! We here for July 1st and 2nd, 2017. It's such a family/military friendly camp ground, people are just so community friendly. We, wife and I and two of our family dogs are enjoying our environment and relaxing, a real treat. We walk around and folks actually speak to us, like family. This is something both my wife and I once knew as kids growing up in an Army community, but have not experienced much in the Air Force environment, where we now live in. Here we are sitting and enjoying our camp fire and a lady and her daughter walk into our site with a huge dutch oven with camp fire apple pie and offer us a serving! WOW! What a kind gesture, and what delicious apple pie! Her kindness reached into the depth of our hearts and soul, made us feel like there is still community out there! Thank you so much!
This place is the friendliest camp ground we've ever been to, and we've been to many all across this nation. Thank you our beloved Army community!!!

Room Tip: Camp close and reach out!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Frank B
Reviewed 18 January 2017

We stayed in a couple of the cabins for a weekend Cub Scout trip.

The cabin was pretty nice and very clean. Not a ton of things to do at the campground, but it was January and there were enough boys on the trip that they were able to entertain themselves. Even though there was a bathroom in the cabin, I tried to use the bath house to keep the line down, and I have to say, this is one of the nicest bath house I've seen in a campground.

The only "bads" I can think of are the lack of wi-fi/cellular service and the mattresses, neither one of which are really negatives against the campground. There's not really anything you can do about the cell signal. The mattresses are in plastic cases so they can be a bit noisy whenever you move, but I can understand why they would be on there so I'd rather have them and deal with the noise.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2016 via mobile

Camp Carlson has a lovely outside/inside for a wedding and reception! The outside venue is located lake view and sets a beautiful ambiance for the onlookers! Seating is limited & the guest have a space on the balcony to watch the wedding ceremony! The inside reception area holds close to 300 people... Great place!!!

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 November 2015

Nice little campground, especially when you can get a site a off the beaten path a little. Clean bathhouse and shower, nice little relax room, lots of washers/dryers. Not much for kids to do but they do have a few playgrounds.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 October 2015

We live close by in Elizabethtown, only about 30 minutes away, but this is a great little campground for when we want just a quick getaway for the weekend. The grounds are well kept and clean, and most of the sites are very spacious. There's a small lake for fishing or bird watching, and plenty of room to just take a nice walk. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2015

Small, simple, camp ground with very friendly management staff. I took my son camping here when his Cub Scouts campout was cancelled. The tent sites are on cleared, graveled spaces with a picnic table and a steel fire ring and cost $5 a night. We selected ours for shade. The sites are along a packed, dirt, road adjacent to a large open field. We were able to hunt up enough wood for our campfire that night in the nearby woods. I did not look to see if the camp store sold any. The fishing pond was about a 10 minute walk from our tent. We tried it but the fish did not like our bait. There are several nice play grounds for kids. My only complaint is that the campground is immediately adjacent to US Route 60, which is noisy, even at night, as it is a semi-truck route as well as local traffic roaring up and down it. However, for starting my son on camping, it sufficed and we had a good time.

Room Tip: Pick your tent site away from the main entrance and further down the road, but with shade.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family

Been to Camp Carlson Army Recreational Area? Share your experiences!