“Bourbon with A Shot of History”

Buffalo Trace Distillery
Ranked #1 of 43 things to do in Frankfort
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Buffalo Trace Distillery is the oldest continually operating distillery in the United States and we have proudly won more awards than any other distillery in the world. We welcome visitors of all ages to tour our legendary distillery and see first hand how we craft, age, and bottle America's native spirit, bourbon whiskey. All guests are treated to a complimentary tour and tasting of fine Kentucky bourbon as well as old fashioned root beer and bourbon balls. Don't forget to stop by our Gift Shop for authentic distillery products and to pick up a few bottles of the good stuff! HOURS: *Monday-Friday Tours: 9am-4pm departing every hour Gift Shop: 9am-5:30pm *Saturday Tours: 9am-4pm departing every hour Gift Shop:9am-5:30pm *Sunday Tours: Noon-3pm departing every hour Gift Shop: 12pm-5pm *All tours and tastings are FREE! *We have a beautiful Clubhouse that can be rented for events!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift, Food available for purchase, Baby buggy parking, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed February 13, 2018

First of all, I don't even drink, but this was one of the best tours I've ever been part of. We did the free tour they offer - no reservation needed! We did go on a Saturday, so the group was very large (not sure what it's like during the week). Our tour guide gave us a history of bourbon, the facility and how bourbon is made. He took us around different buildings on campus including a storage warehouse and a bottling room. They also have a short video. To top it all off, they finish up in the gift shop/bar area and offer a few tastes of their bourbon (and root beer for those under age) at the end of the tour! Overall, we were there about 90 minutes total. I definitely recommend this distillery if you have to choose only one! It's the oldest company still in the bourbon business, and that's pretty significant! They have a Hard Hat Tour that gives you more in-depth info and a close-up experience to the bourbon process. We want to try that out next time!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,912)
All reviews
in 44 reviews
"bottling area"
in 29 reviews

Reviewed February 13, 2018 via mobile

It is hard to be exclusive or different when most things have been said already. This is a wonderful Historic site that produces many different kinds of bourbon. We had only time for the one-hour tour (on the hour!!!). It was really good. We have toured wineries and scotch distilleries and we thought this ranked up there with the best.

VERY nice to other distilleries and recommended others; very good guide (Beka??) who was hospitable and flexible.

On I-75??? Take some time and visit this distillery!

Oh, yes...and the tasting and the shop are great!

Reviewed February 11, 2018

Wonderful guide with first hand knowledge of the bourbon tradition made the tour very worth while and informative.
Only drawback was the limited selection of bourbons to taste. There are several tours and they are free which is nice.
We have been on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail and the 10 distillery we visited were more focused on the visitors and making it more of a customer friendly visit.

Reviewed February 7, 2018

Full disclosure: I'm not really a bourbon fan but these folks may have converted me. We took the hard hat tour which highlights the creation of the bourbon ... making the mash, fermentation, and distillation. There are other tours that take you through the rest of the process and I recommend you pair two (free!) tours for the complete process.

Nancy was our guide and as a long time veteran of the industry, she was very knowledgeable and patient with our questions. There is stair climbing and if you have a fear of heights, this tour is not for you. Pictures are permitted and Nancy was terrific about waiting for the perfect shot.

The tour ends with a tasting. You can take multiple free (!) tours that end in tastings but can only participate in one tasting per day. As Nancy put it, she had to make sure we were 'street legal' at the end of the tour. Tastings include your choice of two of four featured products and everyone gets dessert, also known as Bourbon Cream. Nancy offered several serving suggestions for bourbon cream and we tried the chocolate Bourbon Cream milkshake that night - EXCELLENT!

There's a shop where you can stock up on their products and they are very careful not to sell things that compete with local stores. So if you can't buy it locally that day, you can't buy it there either (Pappy Van Winkle, we're talking about YOU). Everyone we met was friendly and helpful. Turns out that if you're looking for a place to hold a wedding, party, or corporate even, they can help with those as well.

Finally, did I mention that the tours were free? They are and now that I know how knowledgeable they are, I'd have paid to take the tour.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 6, 2018

This was the first place we stopped on our long weekend adventure in Bourbon country! We rented a car at the airport and drove out to Frankfort and then to Versailles to Woodford before returning the car and letting others do the driving all weekend. It was an excellent introduction to the region and how bourbon is made. Ashley, our tour guide, was terrific and very patient with questions. My 2nd favorite part was seeing the hand bottling done for the Blanton's line. My very favorite thing, here or for the rest of the weekend is that I now know what bourbon cream is! Where has this been all my life?! One bottle came home with us, but I'm already wishing that I had bought another. The sample it with root beer, which is a nice touch! The tour is free, and you still get a tasting at the end - bonus! You don't see an distilling in action, but if you take another tour somewhere else you will. You'll see lots of other cool things, though, including the rickhouse where you can smell the "angel's share" - one of the most magnificent aromas on the planet! You'll learn some history, too. They have other tours, like a Hard Hat Tour which we would like to take if we return.

1  Thank Marian E