“First visit didn’t tour...”

Buffalo Trace Distillery
Ranked #1 of 42 things to do in Frankfort
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Buffalo Trace Distillery is the oldest continually operating distillery in the United States and we have proudly won more awards than any other distillery in the world. We welcome visitors of all ages to tour our legendary distillery and see first hand how we craft, age, and bottle America's native spirit, bourbon whiskey. All guests are treated to a complimentary tour and tasting of fine Kentucky bourbon as well as old fashioned root beer and bourbon balls. Don't forget to stop by our Gift Shop for authentic distillery products and to pick up a few bottles of the good stuff! HOURS: *Monday-Friday Tours: 9am-4pm departing every hour Gift Shop: 9am-5:30pm *Saturday Tours: 9am-4pm departing every hour Gift Shop:9am-5:30pm *Sunday Tours: Noon-3pm departing every hour Gift Shop: 12pm-5pm *All tours and tastings are FREE! *We have a beautiful Clubhouse that can be rented for events!
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift
Reviewed February 16, 2018 via mobile

I’ve been through Jack Daniels a few times, Woodford Reserve and now Buffalo Trace...I must say I like the old distillery. Woodford was modernized. I feel bad that I didn’t have time to tour and will have to come back. I was a little disappointed that more specialized spirits was not available to purchase however I understand why.

Great selection of items in a wonderful old building that houses the gift shop. Love Eagle Rare especially 17 year aged that I will have to search for in a liquor store here in TN.

All in all I am going to have to return!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,885)
All reviews
in 44 reviews
"bottling area"
in 29 reviews

Reviewed February 14, 2018

I live local but had never went on a tour.I was very surprised with their tour, great looking grounds and free tastings and very informational. Great Tour

Reviewed February 13, 2018

First of all, I don't even drink, but this was one of the best tours I've ever been part of. We did the free tour they offer - no reservation needed! We did go on a Saturday, so the group was very large (not sure what it's like during the week). Our tour guide gave us a history of bourbon, the facility and how bourbon is made. He took us around different buildings on campus including a storage warehouse and a bottling room. They also have a short video. To top it all off, they finish up in the gift shop/bar area and offer a few tastes of their bourbon (and root beer for those under age) at the end of the tour! Overall, we were there about 90 minutes total. I definitely recommend this distillery if you have to choose only one! It's the oldest company still in the bourbon business, and that's pretty significant! They have a Hard Hat Tour that gives you more in-depth info and a close-up experience to the bourbon process. We want to try that out next time!

Reviewed February 13, 2018 via mobile

It is hard to be exclusive or different when most things have been said already. This is a wonderful Historic site that produces many different kinds of bourbon. We had only time for the one-hour tour (on the hour!!!). It was really good. We have toured wineries and scotch distilleries and we thought this ranked up there with the best.

VERY nice to other distilleries and recommended others; very good guide (Beka??) who was hospitable and flexible.

On I-75??? Take some time and visit this distillery!

Oh, yes...and the tasting and the shop are great!