“Don't MIss the Hard Hat Tour at Buffalo Trace with David”

Buffalo Trace Distillery
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Bourbon Trail Tour to Woodford Reserve, Buffalo...
Ranked #1 of 38 things to do in Frankfort
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Buffalo Trace Distillery is the oldest continually operating distillery in the United States and we have proudly won more awards than any other distillery in the world. We welcome visitors of all ages to tour our legendary distillery and see first hand how we craft, age, and bottle America's native spirit, bourbon whiskey. All guests are treated to a complimentary tour and tasting of fine Kentucky bourbon as well as old fashioned root beer and bourbon balls. Don't forget to stop by our Gift Shop for authentic distillery products and to pick up a few bottles of the good stuff! HOURS: *Monday-Friday Tours: 9am-4pm departing every hour Gift Shop: 9am-5:30pm *Saturday Tours: 9am-4pm departing every hour Gift Shop:9am-5:30pm *Sunday Tours: Noon-3pm departing every hour Gift Shop: 12pm-5pm *All tours and tastings are FREE! *We have a beautiful Clubhouse that can be rented for events!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Food available for purchase, Baby buggy parking
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have been on many other bourbon tasting experience tours and previously at Buffalo Trace, I am never disappointed when I turn onto Great Buffalo Trace for a visit. Most recently I took the Hard Hat Tour and found it to be one of my favorites. The tour guide, David, was exceptional. His knowledge, energy, and engagement of the group in the experience of bourbon making made it truly experiential. From having us handle the corn kernels, to then handling the ground corn meal, to tasting from the fermentation vats to get an idea of the various tastes of sweet to sour through the process, to putting 150 proof in our hands to rub together to smell first the alcohol then the grains, and lastly the bread-like scent was so interesting. As always, Buffalo Trace invites you 'to their home' and provides the tour and sampling free of charge. If you haven't experienced the tour (or if it has been awhile), be sure to add it to your places to visit. You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank mb93ohiou
Write a ReviewReviews (1,714)
All reviews
in 18 reviews
"free tasting"
in 37 reviews

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Such a great tour and a great time. It was so much fun seeing the bottling process, learning about their 200yr history and definitely he samples!! Great stop even if your just passing through

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

As part of our Bourbon Trail Experience with The Kentucky Bourbon Boys, we were hooked up (thanks, Tim!) for the E.H. Taylor Tour, Bourbon Pompeii. We had another couple join us, as well as Tim and his friend, Dave, who had ridden along with us for the day. Our tour guide was Fred, who as we came to understand from the other distilleries, was a third generation Buffalo Trace guy and could tell us everything we wanted to know about the place. Their property here was also gorgeous and I wished I'd brought my DSLR along for the trip, despite the dropping temperatures, cloudy skies and drizzling rain. The tour we took was a bit more in-depth about the history of the place and all the master distillers who had called it home. We got to see the inside of E.H. Taylor's house and view a room of experimental bourbon's from over the years.

Then, we were able to see the space that was destined to be an event space, but upon construction, was discovered to have been the home of two original buildings from way back when. They're in the process of uncovering the old foundations and I imagine will make it a really cool space in the near future.

They must have thousands upon thousands of barrels aging in the rick houses and the smell was amazing. I could've stayed in there forever.

For the tastings, they had four types to choose from - you could pick two to try. One was a vodka. I don't remember which two I had but I enjoyed them both. At the end, everyone also was able to sample their "Buffalo Cream" which is like Bailey's, but better. We got to put a splash of root beer in it and it tasted like a heavenly adult float!

They had a very nice visitor's center as well, and upstairs in the tasting room you could view their vault of bourbons from throughout the years. That was really awesome to see. If you go, which you should, ask for Fred as your tour guide!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I’ve been through Jack Daniels a few times, Woodford Reserve and now Buffalo Trace...I must say I like the old distillery. Woodford was modernized. I feel bad that I didn’t have time to tour and will have to come back. I was a little disappointed that more specialized spirits was not available to purchase however I understand why.

Great selection of items in a wonderful old building that houses the gift shop. Love Eagle Rare especially 17 year aged that I will have to search for in a liquor store here in TN.

All in all I am going to have to return!