Review Highlights
Real island experience

Simon Leblanc offers a great and sincere tour of the traditional Acadian lobster fishery at great... read more

Reviewed September 4, 2023
Bruce J
What a great little tour with local history!

We went on a great little tour of the Tusket Island group by Simon, a local who grew up living on... read more

Reviewed August 19, 2023
MKJLR
Canada

All reviews seafood chowder lobster fishing tusket island nova scotia his guitar wonderful tour live music highly recommend this tour return trip boat trip great food beautiful scenery lobster industry fun experience special afternoon local specialty tour takes
Selected filters
Reviewed July 2, 2016

First, a disclaimer: My family owns a summer cottage in Wedgeport along the Tusket River, so I'm familiar with the lovely area and surrounding islands. So I'm a bit biased. But, all bias aside, this is simply a great boat tour.

Our tour guide was Lucien, a young lobster fisherman from a family of Nova Scotian lobster fishermen. Most of the tour takes place on the deck of his fishing boat (a newly built, state-of-the-art boat as of June 2016). Lucien really knows his stuff. You'll learn all you ever wanted to know about the Tusket region and the fishing industries that are this area's bread and butter - from Wedgeport's history as the tuna capital of the world, to the mechanics and economics of modern lobster fishing (including an up-close look at "Caleb", an enormous live lobster), to the absurd story of the Principality of Outer Baldonia.

In addition to being informative, this tour is beautiful. The Tusket River and islands are picturesque, with green wilderness and clear blue seas. One thing to note: You have to go on a sunny day. Obviously if it's foggy on the day you're planning to go, you won't be able to see any of the islands, which isn't great.

On Big Tusket Island, the boat docks and you disembark for a rest stop. This island is home to a small village of old-school fishing shanties, where your boat caption makes lunch: seafood chowder. Now I consider myself a chowder connoisseur, having tried it at as many Nova Scotia restaurants as humanly possible - and this is hands down the best seafood chowder I've ever tasted. Fresh and delicious (and yes, gluten-free!) The tour is almost worth taking just for the chowder alone. On the way back, Lucien (or his brother Simon) sings songs and plays guitar. Very relaxing, though not the high point of the tour.

All in all, I highly recommend this tour to anyone visiting the area. It's a great way to see beautiful scenery and experience a little bit of Acadian fishing culture.

1  Thank Will S
Reviewed June 30, 2016

The Tusket River and it's islands (one for every day of the year?) provide quintessential Nova Scotia seacoast scenery. This tour is run by a Wedgeport family with many generations of involvement with the islands, which were once (pre modern era boats and technology) a vibrant lobster fishing community. The tour includes a wealth of stories about these lovely islands as well as a stop at a shanty for the best seafood chowder in Nova Scotia.

Reviewed June 24, 2016

I went with my wife for the tour on June 24th. The weather was beautiful and the sea relatively calm. I was impressed immediately with the access to the boat - my wife has mobility issues and this kind of event can create anxiety. The stairs on and off of the boat all had sturdy railings. The seating on the boat also was well constructed with solid arms on the benches for those who may need support getting up and down. Her concern about how she would manage getting on and off the boat disappeared. Lucien, our host, was welcoming, humorous and knowledgeable about the lobster fishery and the stories of the area. His deep family roots in the area added to the authenticity of the experience. We were served a delicious home cooked seafood chowder with lobster, haddock and scallops on Big Tusket Island at the family shanty. The trip out to the shanty was filled with stories of the islands and the people who have lived and worked in the area. Everyone had great things to say about the trip. I will return gladly and recommend this experience to anyone. We boarded the boat at 10:15 and were leaving the wharf by 10:30 am - back in the parking are by 3:00 pm. It was great value for the price. I live in this are and this would consider this a vacation highlight for people from home or the visiting public.

Reviewed June 13, 2016

I've lived in Yarmouth for thirty years and never knew this much about our lobster fisheries and it was all wrapped up in a very entertaining day on the ocean with an island visit. This boat tour has fun stories, entertaining hosts and lots to see an enjoy!

Reviewed June 11, 2016 via mobile

This trip felt like a journey back in time when downtown yarmouth was a bustling fishing and shipping town. The rustic shanties, wildflowers, beach glass. The leblanc brothers are running a first class activity for tourists and locals. This is an absolute must for tourists and locals.