“Thoroughly enjoyed the stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa

Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #15 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
Houston, Texas
“Thoroughly enjoyed the stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I'll start with a couple of the small drawbacks of this property - it is located about 5-7 miles from downtown Lexington, so allocate about 15 minutes if you want to head downtown for meals/nightlife. Also, the property is a bit older, so the rooms are perhaps not as clean as they could be. Also, if your room is overlooking the atrium, and there is any kind of party or conference going on, you will hear everything in your room.

Overall, however, we had a great experience here. The check-in went smoothly, and the front desk was very accomodating when we asked for late checkout the next day. As mentioned, the room was nice, but could use a deep cleaning (especially in the shower stall). The workout facility was small (3 treadmills, 3 ellipticals, a couple of bikes, and a couple of strength-training equipment machines), but adequate. We checked out the indoor pool and the hot tub - they both worked as advertised (again, the pool area could use some cleaning).

The property also had a small business center for customer use (free internet, printing for boarding passes, etc.).

As a Platinum member, we got free breakfast at JW's Steakhouse (I think typically you get free breakfast in the concierge lounge, but we were there over the weekend and were told at check-in we could get free breakfast at JW's). Breakfast was the best part of the stay - they had fresh fruit (including berries, and not just your typical pineapple and melon), turkey sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, fresh waffles, and an omelet station. Unfortunately, the only hiccup was the hotel tried to charge us for the breakfast when we checked out, and there was some confusion about the clearing up the bill. We still have to follow up to make sure the charge was taken off, as the person at the front desk didn't do a good job of explaining what she did, and the invoice itself wasn't clear either.

Overall, a good stay, and would return if ever in this area again.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Georgetown, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

The Suites in this resort are incredible. The service impeccable. The hot tub was the perfect temperature.

The negatives include having to go through the lobby to get to the pool, and the TV's are a little below the standard I think they should be setting.

We should have stayed two nights to enjoy the room.

Room Tip: Ask for Kate Smith, she'll solve any problem.
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

The hotel itself is very nice inside and out, so the decor and overall look/feel is 5 stars. Where they lose out is in some of the room designs and the bar area.

The room itself is very nice with a 42 inch flat screen high def tv. The issue is that none of the channels are in high def. It's 2012, that's not new technology anymore. The other issue with the room is the TINY bathrooms. As my girlfriend pointed out, if you weighed 250 pounds or had some just above average size to you, it might be impossible to even use the bathroom. The door opens into the bathroom and almost touches the toilet. They also felt the need to use a kindergarten labeler to put tacky labels on things throughout the room. Just not what you expect from an upper level hotel.

The final negative was with the bar. It probably seats 100-150 people but they have super small flat screen tvs and of course, no high def. It was packed for a UK basketball game but we all watched it up in the suite since the tv was larger.

Overall it's got a lot of potential but they need to work on some things. I would definitely stay there again if I got another better than rack room rate.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

I stayed at the Griffin Gate in December '11 on a business trip and was extremely satisfied with the entire trip. The front desk staff was extremely courteous. The room was excellent and the view was incredible. The rooms have very nice flat screen TVs (with full cable), and newer digital clock radios with audio input (I appreciated the ability to hear NPR over the weekend without having to use my iPhone...which I have to do at many hotels/resorts with older, barely functional clock radios...it's a small thing, but I appreciate it when I see it). Laundry facilities are modern and clean. There is a beautiful walking/running track surrounding the hotel which I used extensively.

The in-room internet is listed as wired-only, however I was able to get a Wi-Fi signal from the hotel lobby in my sixth floor room, so your mileage may vary. Like other Marriott resort properties, the internet isn't free (it's $12.95 per day). As a business traveler, I never could understand how other Marriott properties (SpringHill Suites and Residence Inn, specifically) offer free WiFi in every room, yet their resort properties generally have wired-only fee-based internet service. The fee was waived for me as I have Platinum Elite status (thus this didn't affect my ratings) but I wish Marriott would extend the excellent free Internet service offered at its non-resort properties to its resorts.

Overall, an EXCELLENT stay. Great location and great facilities. If I am ever in the Lexington area again, I will absolutely stay at Griffin Gate. I can't overstate how nice the outdoor running/walking track was! Finally, the Griffin Gate staff sent my shoes - which l forgot in my room - to my home address by UPS! Thanks to everyone at Griffin Gate for a great stay and for my shoes!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

The Marriott Griffin Gate Resort facility and personnel was top-notch. The staff were courteous and professional. The dining facilities were excellent. Our children enjoyed swimming in the indoor pool. We had a relaxing and enjoyable stay at Griffin Gate.

Vine Grove, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

The wonderful staff was very accommodating to our family needs. My children spent more time in the wonderful pool and hot tub than in the room...
I can't wait to visit and stay again. The beds were so comfortable that I could have stayed in bed all day..(= Thank you for such a great stay.

St Johns
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

Stayed for two nights, being Christmas it was especially beautifully decorated. One thing of great importance to me is the efficiency of all employees. Genuine friendliness too. Every staff member I encountered was just that.

Cleanliness is huge - it was top quality.

One thing I also noticed, after getting back home....my clothes I had worn while being there, etc. didn't have that "motel" smell!