New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Holiday Inn Airport & Fair/Expo Center

Holiday Inn Airport & Fair/Expo Center
Ranked #54 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
Charlotte, North Carolina
“WAY too pricey for this hotel and the area”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

In town for the EXPO and booked this hotel because suppliers from another country had already booked it. Roms at most area hotels were going for $125 - $160 and this hotel was charging $250 per night. I thought it must be a pretty special Holiday Inn to get that money. Well, it wasn't very special and it was worth about half.

The staff there is very pleasant and friendly. I asked about free breakfast coupons which I usually get as a priority member and was given three for my stay even though it is supposed to be for Platinum members. Very nice. However, I booked a king room four months before check in and was told that one wasn't available. I couldn't remember if I had specified a King when I made the reservation so I didn't make a big deal about it but since I had a lot of work to do, the tiny table in the 2 queen room made things tough.

The restaurant there is weak, once again considering what they are charging for rooms. There is a good selection on the buffet but you have to order drinks from the bar and service in the morning was sketchy. Had dinner there one night and it while it wasn't bad, the fairly simple pasta dish was just flat.

The fitness center was OK, but one of the treadmills was broken so it put a cramp on two days worth of work outs as someone was already on the other.

My bottom line here is that if this hotel wants to play in the big leagues at $250 a nght, then it needs to step up the quality of the ammenities and performance. One last note on the price, I was speaking with a staffer mid-stay and I mentioned that I was surprised at the cost per night and was told that they put it up for the show since it is always crowded. Nice policy. Next year I will handle the bookings for my suppliers and it will NOT be at this Holiday Inn.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnSDF, General Manager at Holiday Inn Airport & Fair/Expo Center, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

I am very sorry to hear about your stay at our property. I'm a little bit confused on how you obtained a $250.00 rate, since our rates were at $149.00-$169.00. I am assuming that you booked so far in advance that the rates had been set at the default rates because the booking window for special events is only 6 months. The rates are set at $250.00 before that time period to protect our inventory. I would be happy to discuss this further with you via telephone to go over your other concerns in detail. FYI the treadmill has been fixed. It was damaged during a Fraternity Party we had the week before. The hotel's phone number is 502-637-4500. Just ask for the General Manager and I will get back with you ASAP. I also want to personally thank you for your input and the time you spent in creating this response. My number one goal is to make the Holiday Inn Louisville Airport Fair/Expo the best hotel in the Louisville area, to provide quality service, and value to everyone's stay.

Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Trumansburg NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

We *loved* the staff. They were great. Fantastic. Very pleasant. The hotel was nice, off the beaten path by hundreds of yards. There were restaurants in the immediate area.

The room was nice (with the exception of mildew in the shower curtains) and even quiet, which we were surprised about, being so close to the airport.

We went to a wedding at a winery and when we got back to the hotel, we shimmied up to the bar for a good (Kentucky Ale, ice cold!) beer and sandwiches. We loved that. We weren't that excited about the breakfast brunch option that morning. Some of the hot foods weren't. I ended up eating a yogurt and a cup of skim milk, setting the "hot" things aside - we regretted not ordering from the menu instead.

We left feeling like we enjoyed ourselves, until we got home and realized we may have left something behind. So I placed a call about it and was asked to call the next day. I did and left a message. No one returned my call. I sent them email; that too was not returned. I ended up having to order a replacement in the absence of communication. Because of this, it makes it hard to give value to service. The staff that took care of us were excellent. The followup service after we left was unimpressive.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
HolidayInnSDF, General Manager at Holiday Inn Airport & Fair/Expo Center, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

In speaking with you through emails, I hope we resolved your concern with your computer cord. We run a very tight ship when it comes to lost and found. You would be amazed at what people leave in hotel rooms. Even though we did not find your cord, I wanted to make sure that we did as much as we could for you to resolve your inconvenience. I personally have lost a computer cord and it's no fun when that computer starts to notify you with a low battery. Please do not hesitate to call me at the property if I can provide you with any other services.

Elkton, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Wasn';t the easiest place to find but once I got there they treated me great letting me checkin many hours beofre I was alowed;,

Room Tip: corner room two windows
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay! It was a pleasure having you here with us and we look forward to seeing you again!
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

Stayed here by accident. I was booked at a Hilton brand (which i am a fan of) bu they oversold their rooms and had to relocate my stay to the Holiday Inn across the street. Beautiful hotel, awesome service and wonderful restaurant. This Holiday Inn was new and was very upscale. Had I not been reloated by the other hotel I might not ever found out about this hotel...I WILL ALAWAYS STAY HERE WHEN IN LOUISVILLE!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank INOAGOODHOTELWHENIC1

New Mexico, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

We bid on a 3 star hotel from Pricline and should have taken the advice that our better deal was a 2-1/2 star. The room was very nice and comfortable, but at over $100, we could have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express and gotten breakfast. There was nothing very special about the hotel common areas or the room. The location was fine for our purposes, but I was a bit dissapointed. Of course with Priceline we were hoping for much more bang for our buck.

Room Tip: Look carefully at the options before submitting/
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

I appreciate you choosing the Holiday Inn Fair/Expo Center. We work very hard on making our property the best value in Louisville with a concentration on service and amenities. I truly appreciate you taking the time to recommend us and comment on our facility and staff. If and when you are back in Louisville please do not hesitate to introduce yourself to me at the property. In reading your comments I did see where you were concerned with the lack of free breakfast at the Holiday Inn. Holiday Inn's are a full service property. The Holiday Inn Express is the property that has a free continental breakfast. A solution to when you stay at a Holiday Inn is to sign up for the Priority Club Rewards program if you are not a member. After a few stays you will start to recieve benefits such as complimentary breakfast and other types of coupons. Please remember that Kids 12 and under always eat free. We also offer a package rate with breakfast included.

Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2011

stayed here one night randomly. It was a nice hotel. close to the Univ of Louisville and the airport. Nice pool, airport shuttle.
Restaurant on site.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business

cincinnati
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2011

There were 7 couples that stayed here for the boat show. They provide transportation to the expo center which is just a 5 minute drive. We arrived at 12 noon and were allowed to check into our rooms. Samka checked us in and she was very quick and greeted us when we walked into to lobby. We told her we wanted to take our bags to our room and then wanted to go to lunch. The hotel doesn't serve lunch but she recommend the Hall of Fame restaurant and said she would drive us to the restaurant plus she gave us coupons for a free appetizer. We liked the restaurant and the food was very good. Then she picked us up and took us to the expo center for the boat show. We came back after the boat show and Angela the chef picked us up after the boat show. She was great. She said she was looking forward to having all of us for dinner. There were several choices on the menu and the food was good. We also had some drinks and watched the sporting event on TV. When the food came out everyone helped serve us from the chef to the bartender to the front desk person. Everyone works as a team at the Holiday Inn and they are so accommodating. The hotel facilities are very clean and updated. The room was nice and the bed was very comfortable. We had a small fridge, microwave and coffee maker. They have Bath & Body soaps and shampoo in the bathroom. There is also a blow dryer on the wall. You also have have plenty of seating in your room with a chair and foot stool, a desk chair and a double stool. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple