First Farm Inn
US$110
Travelocity
Quality Inn & Suites(Lawrenceburg)
US$95
US$111
US$102
US$86
Orbitz.com
Comfort Inn(Lawrenceburg)
US$100
ComfortInn
Rising Star Casino Resort(Rising Sun)(Great Value!)
US$85
Doubletree.com
  • Pool
US$89
Country Inn
All reviewshorseback ridecreation museumthe outdoor hot tubvisit cincinnatimini fridgeriding lessonstreetop roomjenhorsesfireplacetreetopsencounterark
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay! I chose this place because of the animals, the old farmhouse and the traditional charm that it offers. The owners are inviting, warm and friendly.

First Farm Inn is located in a safe, countryside place, so in the afternoon, I had a chance to walk and explore. I was accompanied by Odo, the lovable Aussie mix, whose intense need to play ball with me was a joy. I met another furry companon reading in the living room at evening, by the fireplace; a kitty curled up beside me.
I even had a free concert that night by a family member practicing on the grand piano. Precious.

My room was spacious, clean and quiet and featured a private bath, a desk for my laptop, and wireless internet.

Breakfast in the morning consisted of multigrain waffles, topped with maple syrup and fresh-cut strawberries and bananas. We also had our choice of a variety of cakes and treats, such as Poppy Seed Muffins or Lemon Coffee Cake. I liked that we were all seated together for breakfast. The food was excellent and the conversation was lively. I can only imagine the stories that have been told at that table!

It's rare to find a bed and breakfast that also offers horseback riding! I loved both. To my delight, Jen is also an accomplished Dressage instructor. So I not only had a good ride, but received some expert tips as well. In fact, since I've been away from horses for a while, I was able to benefit from the instruction that all of the riders were given as we groomed the horses and tacked up. I'm so glad that this was NOT the standard nose-to-tail experience. Jen's watchful eye matched the rider's skill level to the horses well, and knew when the riders were comfortable enough to trot a bit. I could tell that she wanted us to have fun, relax and be safe.

Chatting in the kitchen with Jen, I learned that she's quite talented... Most of the stained glass that hangs in the windows to catch the light was hand-crafted by her. She enjoys watercolor and the house is filled with her artwork and the work of local artists. I learned of nearby art galleries and resources that I'd not heard of before; despite living in the area for 15 years. She is a wealth of knowledge!

This B&B was a home away from home. I am looking forward to returning.

In fact, I'd like to make a habit of it.

Thank you for your hospitality, First Farm! -m

:) http://www.firstfarminn.com/

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Michelle S
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I had read the reviews about the squeaky bed before we arrived and wish I had paid more attention! We spent a very sleepless night in the 1870's room (the downstairs room) because the bed does NOT just have some slight, barely noticeable squeak. This bed squeals like a banshee. If you move AT ALL in your sleep you will be immediately startled awake by this sound in your ear, heaven forbid there be someone else in the bed with you! When we first arrived it was definitely noticeable when we touched the bed but when the house is quiet and you are sound asleep it's much worse. Anyone who makes this bed should have been able to easily tell it is LOUD! My husband didn't sleep at all b/c he is a light sleeper and I slept in 15 minute increments only to be startled awake repeatedly by the squealing bed. Even my six-year old unprompted said "Mama I didn't sleep very good cause your bed was so loud!" It made for a miserable experience at the Creation Museum (which was our whole reason for staying here) and an "interesting" 7 hour drive the next day. BTW there is definitely a cat smell from cats spraying in the downstairs living/guest areas but not in the bedroom. I really wish I could have focused on the friendly innkeeper who let us borrow their vacuum for our car AND their dryer, and made homemade brownies in the evening. I also wish our review could have been about the lovely animals we were surrounded by which my children loved and the pretty table we were greeted with in the morning but I fear I must warn people that if you actually require sleep this may not be the place for you unless the innkeeper can offer you a money back guarantee that your bed will not squeak. He was spraying it with WD-40 the next morning but I tried the bed after and it still squeaked (he may have been about to spray it more). All the other nice things are the reason we gave it two stars instead of one. Sorry First Farm Inn.

Room Tip: If you are going to the Creation Museum check their website. A nice family we met there recommended a cottage location that they found on their website.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
13  Thank HomeIsWhereAFSendsUs
Jen313, Owner at First Farm Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

So sorry this family didn’t sleep well. After seeing previous comments, last summer we bought a new underbed support system that we thought had eliminated or reduced that antique bed’s squeaking. No one had mentioned it until now, so we thought it was resolved.

I’ve posted a request for suggestions on an innkeeper’s blog and we will continue to try various methods to reduce the squeaking. Meanwhile, if you are a very light sleeper, try the Treetops room. That 1870s-vintage bed and mattress are nearly identical to this one (also featuring a foam topper) yet they don’t squeak. It’s a frustrating mystery of dealing with antiques and a historic home.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

This place served its perpose being a place to stay, I enjoyed watching the chickens run around and liked looking at the horses. The owner was accomodating but not very personable. He seemed to be much more of an animal person than a people person - mainly cats- there are cat towels, cat stitched pillow in the chair, a cat nitelite, cat pictures and in general cat decor. All of that cat decor comes complete with inside cats, outside cats, guests being responsible for cats, a cat smell, and a few cat stains. One of the many "outside" cats got in the house under my feet, and i was ordered by the owner to chase the cat down and put it back out. my response to that was "Really?" to which he repeated himself. So there i am wearing a very expensive cashmere sweater chasing this cat through the house knowing that if i grab this cat he will ruin my sweater. I told the owner on arrival that i was allergic to cats so he shewed them out of our room and told me to be sure to make sure the door stayed closed at all times or the cats would be "in and out all night". we have stayed in dozens of b&bs in Europe, but this was our first in the states. I will be much more leary about American B&Bs in the future. Perhaps we are used to a different standard- The owner made me an omelet for breakfast which was nice of him but they were serving turkey bacon... im not much of a turkey bacon kind of a guy- but he tried. The rooms minifridge had some drinks, but the ammount of funk and mold on top the can kept me from grabbing a second. Our skiing was very limited due to my wifes flight being delayed overnight and she wanted to stay away from the place as long as she could because of the cats so we opted to hang out at a restuarant all night until time to go to sleep and we left immidiatly after waking showering and packing - about 11. For $330 including 2 lift tickets we feel like we could have done much better if cats werent a factor, but cats being in the mix we were downright dissapointed. We opted not to even say anything..we knew it wouldnt matter.
so my advise to you is this - if you dont mind a bunch of cats, dont have black mold allergies, dont mind sandpaper towels, and generally have low expectations - this may be a great fit for you. I will say, some of their antiques were really nice and the room was quite large.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
13  Thank AlishaWitty

We are amazed when people who don’t like animals choose to stay with us. The huge majority of our guests love our kitties as much as we do. If hundreds of website photos aren’t enough to let potential guests know that we have cats, every single caller is reminded before they book.
Looking forward to a fun and romantic weekend, this guy had a huge disappointment when his wife's plane was delayed repeatedly and she didn't arrive until the second day. When we are disappointed, we often begin to see more negatives. Once that starts, everything spirals downward.
When Dana responded abruptly and inappropriately to his work being interrupted, that set up more negativity. “What I should have done was apologize then and there,” Dana says. “I realize that apologizing now holds little weight. This man wanted, to spend a nice weekend skiing with his wife and enjoying our farm. He was disappointed with his experience. I reacted in a thoughtless and insensitive way.” (By the way, he opened a door and the cat ran out before Dana could pick him up.)
Sorry one soda can top wasn't clean. If you're a soda drinker, cleaning them should be a priority wherever you are. All the remaining soda cans we offer have been cleaned. Because the detrimental health effects of sodas, we will soon stop offering them.
Our commitment to healthy living and eating -- again as indicated on our website – has led us to offer turkey bacon primarily. Most guests enjoy it and say they plan to begin buying it after trying it with us. While very few B&Bs offer breakfast choices, we try to serve our guests their preferences. Sometimes not everything on the table is every person’s particular favorite, but there are always plenty of options.
We are also committed to being environmentally responsible. One component of that is sun-drying our linens – as is mentioned on our website. That gives the towels a texture many remember from their grandparents' homes. During our initial house tour, guests learn that additional towels are available under the sinks if needed. Usually some towels have been dried using electricity and are “fluffy.” A few regulars even request machine-dried towels.
If you don’t like animals, First Farm Inn is certainly not the place for you. Our website gives a complete and accurate description of what we offer and why. Bed and breakfasts are unique establishments that reflect their owner’s interests and tastes. We are committed to being healthy, environmentally responsible and rescuing abused and abandoned animals. If that’s not a good fit for you, you probably won’t be happy here.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

I had wanted to go to a Dude Ranch when my husband found the FFInn was on our way to visit family. I was so afraid it would be a nose to tail ride. Not even close. It was a lesson, a chance to get to know your horse, and a bit of freedom to enjoy your ride. A wonderful experience. Close to Cincinnati, you have activities for the night before your ride. We choose a riverboat cruise. Breakfast was delicious. The Inn was charming, homey and clean. We plan to stay again next year on our trip from Florida to Ohio for our annual family visit.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bonnie M
Reviewed February 7, 2012

If you would like a very unique experience of sleeping and dinning in an old farm house, the First Farm Inn is perfect. We enjoyed relaxing in our comfortable rooms that had everything we need to unwind from a long day of travel. We also enjoyed the wonderful warm hot tub just off the back porch. We took our 3 boys with us and they had a great time! They are very close to everything, but far enough away to not feel the pressure of life. We did not get a chance to go horse back riding, but we did go out and meet the friendly horses in the paddock. We picked the time we got up and had a wonderful breakfast that we all went from extremely satisfied. The food was both pleasing to young and old. We enjoyed visiting with, Jen, the owner. She is very experienced and has been doing this for over 15 years. That says a lot about this establishment. People keep coming back. Thanks for a wonderful stay!!! Would recommend to a friend!

Room Tip: The downstairs room is perfect for a couple or a romantic night. The up stairs room is perfect for people with children.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family