“Best Baton Rouge Hotel”

Renaissance Baton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #9 of 78 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I've stayed in many Baton Rouge hotels and motels over the years, and this is the first full-service hotel at par with any hotel anywhere in the country, apart from the very first tier (St. Regis, Mandarin Oriental, etc.). The lobby and bar are noisy but fun; the rooms are large, comfortable, and with large windows; the employees are friendly and helpful; and there's a buzz about the place that is unusual for Baton Rouge. It's not that it "feels" like a hotel in Dallas or Atlanta (although it does) and is therefore unusual; what's special about the hotel is that it has created--from a partially completed, then abandoned Bible college--a vibrant urban center.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side--away from Bluebonnet Blvd--are quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank NolaHal
Joy H, Hotel Manager at Renaissance Baton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2012

We are extremely grateful for your review! We too feel as if we are in an incredible structure with amazing history. The ownership has created an amazing piece of art out of existing architecture that we all are very proud to be a part of! You will definitely find something new and exciting during every stay.
Thank you again and we hope to see you on your next visit to Baton Rouge!

There are newer reviews for Renaissance Baton Rouge Hotel

Reviewed 28 February 2012

I stay over 80 nights a year at Marriots and this is my second stay at the Renaissance Baton Rouge. This is my FAVORITE hotel of ANY Marriot property anywhere in the US. That is a bold statement, but true. First of all the decor is unique and classy. White alligator wall covering, lit mirror in the bathrooms, chaise lounges in the bar area, marble showers (tubs are in the suites only). I had the pleasure of meeting the architect and the owner on my last trip here, and learned about the thought process they put into the hotel and design. They were looking to design a hotel that would appeal to female as well as male business travelers, and they nailed it! Who needs a tub? I would much rather have a large marble shower. The pool and outdoor bar is FABULOUS, I can't believe I forgot my suit! The staff is attentive. As a Platinum member I was upgraded to a very large suite this trip, although one was not available on my first stay. The concierge lounge has great food, enough to make a meal of. Can't say enough abou this hotel! Classy, comfortable, warm, friendly!

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank rrkky
Joy H, Hotel Manager at Renaissance Baton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

We are so honored by your "bold" statement and hope that you continue to have an amazing experience during your future visits to the Renaissance Baton Rouge. Our property has an amazing owner with an incredible vision and appreciation for the local area in which they have invested so much. Our location and unique hotel offers a new experience to all whom travel wanting a special experience! Again, thank you and our alligator walls will be waiting for you upon your return!

Reviewed 25 February 2012

This hotel has an amazing staff, delicious food, incredibly comfortable beds along with bedding that you simply sink into. On February 12, 2012 we were notified that a family member was dying in a Baton Rouge Hospital. We had one day to prepare for a trip from Fountain Hills, AZ to Baton Rouge, LA. We never thought we would succeed with our travel plans because it was Mardi Gras Week in Louisiana. However, we were lucky enough to find flights and this wonderful
Renaissance Hotel in Baton Rouge, LA. The staff at this hotel helped make a very sad situation better by their caring and attentive efforts. They could not do enough to make our stay a pleasant and comfortable one. Joe, the hotel’s van driver offered to take us to the hospital and pick us up if necessary. Unfortunately, our family member passed that night. When the hotel staff heard of our loss, the entire staff who was working that night signed a sympathy card and left it for us in our room. I cannot express enough our heartfelt thanks to all of them. During our five day stay, any time a staff member passed by us they would say “is there anything we can do you help you Mr. and Mrs. Mayeux.” They would also express their sympathy. The amenities at this hotel, along with this remarkable staff are incredible! I needed to complete some work and I was offered an office (all guests have accessibility to this) along with a PC and printer.
One afternoon, I was introduced to Mr. George Katz, the Regional Manager of the hotel. I told him Marriott should be extremely proud of the dedication of the entire hotel staff. An added note: I lost my Droid Phone the first day of my stay. Yesterday, Chad Emory, Director of Housekeeping mailed me my phone. Again, kudos to a wonderful staff. I would like to say special thanks to the following people:
• Laura Lee, manager at Quality Suites who helped find us a room at the Renaissance
• Lindsay Tassin, front office manager
• Justin Phan, bellman
• Joe Nittolo, van drive

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank rita M
Joy H, Hotel Manager at Renaissance Baton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Thank you for your wonderful words and detail in regards to the staff members who helped you here at the hotel. Our staff prides themselves on their empathy and genuince compassion for our guests and we as management enjoy the process of patting them on the back for these experiences. We want you and your family to know that we offer our sincere condolences for your loss and that you will be in our thoughts. Please come back and visit us again when you are in the area!!!

Reviewed 20 February 2012

My husband and I decided to go to this hotel for sort of a staycation. The hotel was very nice. The lobby was beautiful. The room was very nicely decorated and clean. The spa like bathroom was great and had a wonderful shower with Aveda products. Check in staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The description of the room listed pay per view movies under the amenities. However, there were none, which was disappointing considering that there was severe weather the whole time we were there. Another big annoyance was the fact that the hotel put a $50 hold on my debit card for incidentals without even telling me. Maybe this is common practice, but I didn't know about it and it is very inconvenient.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary G

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on our hotel. I do apologize that the hold on your debit card was not communicated to you. It is common practice to place a hold of $50 for incidentals charged to your room. Please let me know if I can do anything additional to assist and we are certainly glad that you enjoyed the other amenities that our beautiful hotel has to offer.

hm@renaissancebatonrouge.com

Reviewed 3 February 2012

The Renaissance Hotel in Baton Rouge brought such high hopes for diners in the Baton Rouge area. However, the restaurant Tallulah left us disappointed and hungry. The service was slow and anemic at best. When our drinks finally arrived they were acceptable in spite of the limited wine selection. When our food arrived it was cold and inedible. We asked to speak to the manger and we were met with ambivalence. Long, long, long, story short....Dont waste your time or money! Dine at one of the many fine restaurants in Baton Rouge.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Redfishgirl63

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on our hotel. I sincerely apologize that we did not live up to your expectations. We work very hard to ensure that our guests receive the best experiences that we can provide. I would be more than happy to discuss further your stay with us. Please contact me at hm@renaissancebatonrouge.com.

Regards,

Reviewed 18 January 2012

My first trip to the Renaissance was in December. Most recently, January 8-13. Both times I walk in impressed at the beauty of the hotel and the feeling of class that it has. First room was a queen suite with a living room and 2 queen beds. It was larger than my first apartment! Second stay had 2 queen beds and no living room. I didn't care for the chairs in the room as they are not comfortable. Sitting on the bed was my only option. They could swap out one of the chairs with something more comfortable.
Housekeeping was great both times. They are really on their toes and keep things clean and tidy. While I hadn't ordered room service myself, a co-worker did and had a little issue with the lateness of breakfast arrival. We're attributing this to working out all the kinks of being new. Check in staff (Aryn) was lovely and helpful. Check out lady both times...not so much. Not sure why the difference in attitude in PM versus AM. If it happens a third time, manager on call will know.
Valet staff are kind, helpful, and on the day I didn't have an umbrella, offered me use of one to return. Great service on their part. Hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Make sure to confirm on check in that your room has a small fridge if that's what you want.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Isedso
Peter D, General Manager at Renaissance Baton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2012

Dear Isedso,

Thank you for the detailed feedback. I will make sure to let the reception staff know that the check-in team does a better job than the check-out team, a little competition will make this fun!

Thank you again and give us an update on your next visit!

Peter J. Dunn

Reviewed 15 January 2012

This hotel was a excellent display of Southern Hospitality!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely loved everything about this hotel. The Receptionist were very professional, and very welcoming. The valets were very helpful and recommended several places around Baton Rouge to eat and shop. The rooms are very spacious and modern. The beds are very comfortable and probably one of the best beds I have ever slept on. My family was very pleased with this hotel and are planning on staying here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank GoldenNatchez

Dear GoldenNachez,

Thank you for kind words and thank you for recognizing the different department staff. We are all thrilled that you loved everything about the hotel. Come back soon!

Peter J. Dunn