All reviews the grill beach restaurant st vincent modern hotel fantastic breakfast stayed one night fresh fruit nice pool the main road taxi airport hill island tank internet pathway volcano
Reviewed February 14, 2018

Bed and Breakfast Inn.
This was my very first trip to St Vincent so I was all excited over the visit. So I got my travel agent to set up the bookings and the plane ticket for my mother and me. When I was sent the hotel details I immediately checked the hotel’s website. From the pictures I saw, it looked nice and modern with a plantation theme. There was supposed to be a balcony ,two beds , a fridge and what appeared to be hip grill joint with guys barbequing over an open flame, however when I got there it was a different story.
We arrived at the hotel around four in the afternoon. Thank God for the driver at the airport, he epitomised the great Vincentian hospitality that I was expecting. To begin with the hotel was located off the main road at the end of a narrow back street. A bit dark and creepy if you ever had to leave the hotel at night and the road to get there was not the best. As I took my first real look at the hotel I noticed that while it did bear some resemblance to the picture on the internet the actual hotel was exhibiting some signs of neglect and age.
We were greeted by a very pleasant receptionist (all the staff were incredibly friendly).I was given the keys to my but then I was cautioned about the toilet facility. This was not shown on their website. Apparently while the toilet bowl maybe modern, the tank is a relict right of a museum. The tank is attached to the wall above the bowl and is encased in a wooden box with a long metal chain hanging at the side. You have to pull this in order to flush the toilet. I was advised by the receptionist not to pull the chain too hard as it may damage the mechanism. This ancient artefact was not shown on their website. I took it in stride and proceeded to the room assigned.
Now their website showed single beds and listed a fridge as a standard feature of each room. I got a large single bed and an” ice box”. Yes folks an ice box perched on top of the shelf containing the television.
Now the view of the ocean from this room was great, but the windows were the old time slide up type with no burglar proof (don’t need it here), that rattled constantly when the wind blew and the wind was always blowing here. A piece of stick to insert between the two window panes was provided as the solution to this problem.
My other issue with this bed and breakfast inn was food. After arriving at the hotel at around 5pm after having last eaten at 11.am, I was understandably hungry. The restaurant in the main building was already closed so my only other option was to go to the grill. What an adventure. If you have any mobility problems this is not the place for you. The Grill is located at the bottom of the hill. To access it one has walk through grass then on to a potentially perilous pathway that consisted of a poorly belt steps with no hand rails at certain points. At one time I had to turn on my cell phone torch light to help my 80 year old mother see where she was going. She would not have been able to have dinner if I wasn’t there to guide her to the grill. Also please hope and pray that it does not rain because there is absolutely nothing there to protect you from the elements. Just let hunger be your guide and keep moving.
The restaurant like the hotel also looked a bit run down. The lighting was poor and some of chairs were positioned near to the restaurants under ground septic tank. Not a very pleasant smell. The food at the restaurant was ok, nothing to shout about, but the staff as usual were very pleasant.
The beach located in front of the restaurant was not very inviting and this was the only way to gain access to the beach as it could not have been done directly from the hotel. Accessibility again will be an issue for mature people or persons with mobility issues. While the water was clear the beach was littered with many volcanic rocks. Not good for bathing at any time and the thought of using the pool was out of the question. The pool looked even more neglected than the other parts of the hotel and I did not see any lifeguards on duty. What is plan should a guest get into difficulty while bathing in the pool? The pool is located at the back of the hotel out of the view of the regular staff.
One of the saving graces for this hotel is their staff. They were just wonderful. I can’t say the same for the management who I guess were the two people who often sat at the reception desk. For the 4 days that I was there the only time that they spoke to me was to order a taxi to get me out of there. No attempt was ever made to engage me as a visitor in any conversation about the country or the hotel. Maybe my expectations may have been too high as I thought that being in the hospitality business they would have been eager to hold on to every customer that walks into their establishment.

So while it is a pleasant hotel with great views, I do not see myself going there again. I know that there are some people who like the quaint colonial look and feel but that is not my style, at least not how it is done at this hotel. The place is good for an overnight stay but not longer. There is simply nothing to do at hotel but watch television. Also there is the safety issue that exist with regards to the ability to safely reach the restaurant at any time and in any weather. They need to address this quickly before someone gets hurt.

Room tip: The views on the top floor are good.
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank susanmartha1
Reviewed February 13, 2018

What a delight to find a hotel that still considers personal service and attention a priority! The staff were all excellent and friendly, from the front management to the outside gardner! The hotel itself is “historic” and quaint, but rooms large and comfortable with views that are unbelievable. We had breakfast, dinner and the bbq night - all very good and excellent value as was their well stocked bar and expert bar Man! I would recommend this to couples, families and anyone interested in having a good time and being well looked after.

Room tip: Sea view is best
Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank esmondl601
Tony S, Manager at Grand View Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2018

Very pleased to know that you were happy with our services; our mission is to make sure our guests are satisfied and enjoy their time with us.
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, it was our pleasure to accommodate you and your friends.

Reviewed February 10, 2018

Stayed here in January, excellent staff, clean, well maintained, 2 restaurants, swimming pool pool and bar. the rooms are large and airy, beds comfortable and views amazing ! This hotel overlooks the only 2 white sandy beaches on this island which are accessed via a delightful path running down to the beach restaurant. The hotel was quiet, the staff friendly and very helpful. Travelling on local buses to Kingstown (10 mins and 2EC$, ~70p) was great fun and the passengers were really helpful assuring us of when to get off and on again later. So a beautiful hotel, well run, happy with beaches, pool and Kingstown just around the corner !!

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank RR W
Tony S, Manager at Grand View Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2018

Thank you so much. We are pleased to know that you were happy with our services and appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us. Hope to have the pleasure of accommodating you at Grand View soon again.

Reviewed January 29, 2018 via mobile

Old fashioned hotel in a circa 1900 building. Scrupulously clean. Big room with a big comfortable bed. Nice people. Nice pool. Long walk down steps to the beach where the restaurant/bar is. Fantastic breakfast of fresh fruit and an omelette. Happy to recommend.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2017

The hotel is about fifteen minutes from the airport once the traffic is not too bad. I just stayed one night there as I went to write the Building Owners and Managers Institute (BOMI) examination at a Pearson Vue Center in Kingstown in March, 2014. There great views from every direction of the hotel.

The room itself was decent and the breakfast that was served was good enough when compared to other established hotel chains.

There is a bar and restaurant that is located on the property but it could be difficult to access as there is a track that has to be manoeuvred through to reach it. The hotel is at the top of the hill and the restaurant is at the base, close to the sea.

The beach itself did not seem enticing because there were a lot of rocks and the water was not looking clean either.

The swimming pool looked ok but I was unable to utilise it because even though I was back at the hotel before 11:00 a.m. I would have had to pay the full price to use a room since there were no other areas to bathe and change. I asked about options with regards to the use of the room if I returned early from the examination since it was supposed to take two hours but the staff indicated that I either have to check out then in the morning before I left or risk paying for another night if I returned late. If the hotel was busy I could understand that policy but the place was almost empty so I just waited until my taxi came for me to go to the airport. I did have the benefit of a place to sit in the hotel's lobby though as I waited.

If you find this review was helpful I will be grateful if you give a thumbs up.

Room tip: There aren't too many options since the hotel is not that big.
Date of stay: March 2017