“Peace & quiet at The Meadow cabin”
other travellers have booked this property
Dining Area Screened Front Porch
Wildflower Meadow
Fountain View at the Pond
Fish House and Deck at the Pond
Front Gate Entrance to Little River Bluffs
One of many pieces of art found through-out the grounds
Hint of Spring at Little River Bluffs
One of many varieties of flora here at Little River Bluffs
Silver Bells in Bloom
Wild Azaleas on the River Banks
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
M V
New York City, New York
“Peace & quiet at The Meadow cabin”
Reviewed November 3, 2015 for a stay in October 2015

When we first arrived at Little River Bluffs, It was nighttime, but we were able to see the “Guard House” at the gate, with its welcoming pumpkin-headed scarecrow on a bench, an obvious nod to the beginning of fall season. Behind the bench on the side of the ‘guardhouse’ was a lovely stepped mini-water fall feature. It was absolutely charming! - Though unable to witness much of the surrounding area due to darkness, we found the MEADOW CABIN, as directed upon booking, by the new owners, Loretta and Blaine DuBose.
Upon arrival, the cabin, which had been illuminated for us, was absolutely so embracing in its warmth, I felt that I was back in my grandparent’s guest house! It had similar wooden interiors: floors, walls and ceilings; as well as loaf of homemade bread and jelly awaiting us on the table. Further exploration discovered butter, eggs, ham, biscuits, coffee, etc., etc. – Wow! What an unexpected, but special jolt from the past. I loved staying in my Gramps and Granny’s place. However, my grandparent’s cottage was not as private as this one. This was quiet! - Stays at my grandparents were a bit hectic with all of the family comings and goings. – Also my grandparent’s guest house did not have A/C, cable or Wi-Fi, or a whirlpool bath for that matter.
After our nighttime arrival, I was unable to sleep, so the following morning, while my husband was sleeping deeply, I awoke at 5:30 AM. I could not focus on my reading material as I wanted to explore. I decided to survey my surroundings. – What a marvelous experience that was! As an amateur botanist it was delightful to discover flora I'd never seen before.
I also found wonderful, whimsical and unique pieces of art in the most unexpected places while following the hiking trails. The awakening birds kept me company as I continued on my trek. I came across a pond that absolutely spoke: ZEN! I just sat on a chair in front of the screened enclosed ‘cooking & entertainment’ building and watched across the pond at the hypnotic fountain of water spewing into the center of the pond. It was just what I needed to transition from a hectic work schedule to a CALM place! And it was most calming.
Further investigation found me on a green set up for croquet and horseshoe games. Nearby, I also saw, what I termed the “Hand of Heaven:” A Huge Stainless Steel hand, fingers and all, that was a seat situated so that a person could sit and watch the night sky. How pleasant is that??!
I continued to find more and more unusual pieces of art, including one large installment with some 15 pieces (or so) of wrought iron “tines,” approximately 16 feet high. Each tine was wavy in a construction that seemed to be coming from the depths of the sea, like sea grass or eel grass. [But on land!!!) – I later learned that David Campbell, the person who originally “imagined” this privileged piece of utopia in Louisiana, had purchased all of these pieces placed in unexpected sites from Tulane’s University’s Art Department.
Finally, I found a trail that led me to the Little Tchefuncte River. Again, the solace of the river slowly passed by me as I continued to listen to the birds and feel the cool, clear water under my feet. – The remainder of the long weekend was a most romantic and tranquil time for both my husband and me.
We will definitely come back and will definitely recommend it to our friends.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The solitude and quiet
Liked least: Wanted to stay longer
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
3 Nov 2015
We are so glad your stay with us was memorable one. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences with us. we too feel this place is magical and are very blessed to have an opportunity to wake up every day to the wonderful surroundings of Little River Bluffs.

Look forward to seeing you back soon and be well.
The Little River Bluffs Family
Don D
“River Chalet is outstanding”
Reviewed November 1, 2015 for a stay in October 2015
person found this review helpful

Having lived in Louisiana for many years in my younger days, I knew that it was a diverse place with many surprises for those willing to get out of New Orleans and explore the rest of the state. Little River Bluffs is one of those hidden jewels that rewards the adventuresome traveler. It was a very pleasant surprise to find such an ecological and environmentally sensitive resort just 40-50 mile from The French Quarter!

From the time you drive through the rustic gates you know you are in a different kind of place. The narrow winding road leading into the compound is surrounded with native flora and fauna. Bamboo leans over the road providing a tunnel like effect as you drive to the cabin that was to be our retreat for a few days. My wife and I had decided to rent The River Chalet, primarily because the river runs directly behind the cabin and you can sit on the deck and watch all the wildlife that surrounds the Little Tchefuncte River as it rolls lazily by.

While we really expected a primitive cabin in such a native setting, we were pleasantly surprised at the comfort and extensive supply of amenities that we found when we arrived. The cabin is spacious with incredible views from both the living room and the comfy deck. A fully equipped kitchen with a dining area made us feel right at home. Upstairs in the master bedroom we felt like kids sleeping in a tree house! Windows all around gave treetop views in every direction.

The weather was good during our stay so we took advantage of the Kayaks that are provided for guests. What a visual treat. Floating on the water through primal forest surrounding the river really recharged our “city tired batteries”! For those who prefer walking to floating, there are trails winding all through the 30 acre compound with delightful visual surprises around every corner.

This is a 5 star place in our book. It is rustic, but comfortable and civilized while being a little wild! We will be back.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Rustic but very comfortable...could live here!
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing