All reviewsscreened in porchcajun culturenext morningwildlife gardensalligatorscabinbayouhoststroypropertyms
Reviewed March 31, 2016 via mobile

Have to review as other reviews are ridiculously generous. I agree Betty is charming (although she doesn't welcome you) and she booked a great airboat swamp tour for us but the cabins are really grotty and the location is not as remote as implied, in a semi industrial area with a lot of noise which destroys the rural illusion.
Bring bottled water and other supplies, the only shop is a gas station in Gibson. The only restaurant the Bayou "Delight" (haha) has the usual selection of fried breaded catfish.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed February 27, 2016 via mobile

It's been a couple of years since we went but I think about it often. I really enjoyed our stay and really want to go back. Our hosts were great. Vernon is Cajun all the way down to his bones and I really enjoyed listening to him talk about his youth and the history of the Cajun people. He told us that Cajuns are illiterate in two different languages and I thought that was really funny. He for sure had a thick accent. There were two women from France staying in the cabin next to ours. Vernon would speak French to them and they'd look at us kind of confused. Then he would speak English to us and we looked at THEM kind of confused. I got a big kick out of that. We ate dinner at Bayou Delight. It was tasty and had a zydeco band playing and belting out some nice Cajun French lyrics. Everyone was so nice. There was an older couple there celebrating their 50th anniversary and they passed out cake to everyone in the restaurant. We rode down there from Birmingham, Alabama on our motorcycle. I was having some issues with my chain so I pulled off on the side of the road to fix it. I needed some chain oil or wd40. The first person that drive by stopped and asked if I needed help and I just told him I needed some chain lube. He went back to his truck and gave me a can. I was just blown away by how nice the people were. I liked being down there so much and admired their simplified lifestyle that I constantly think and dream about living in that area of the country one day.

All this to say, I really enjoyed our stay!

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jon B
Reviewed October 31, 2015 via mobile

I spent a fantastic night here to break the journey from Houston to New Orleans. If what you're expecting (as I was) is a cabin in the middle of the swamp then yo won't be disappointed. The other couple staying there at the same time as me commented that their cabin was "a bit basic" - I'm not sure what they'd been reading to get their expectations up. For me it was just what I wanted.

I've corrected the location in Google Maps too

Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
3  Thank NickCrabtree
Betty P, Owner at Wildlife Gardens Bed and Breakfast and Swamp Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2017

WE really are glad to hear that you experienced exactly what we want to represent. Simply a cabin nestled in a natural Cypress Swamp. We are trying to keep it as natural
as we can but still have a full bathroom for our guests comfort.
We try to feed you a good home cooked breakfast. And give you a guided tour to
show you as natural as we can how our families lived in a Natural Cypress Swamp.

Hope we lived up to your expectations.
Betty & Vernon @ Wildlife Gardens

Reviewed September 14, 2015

Anyone travelling through Louisiana should be ashamed if they don't spend a few nights at Betty's. This really is a magical place, and a rare gem in a world of uniform botique guesthouses - this is the authentic experience of what life in the bayous is really all about.

The cabins are set well apart down boardwalks through thick swamp groves and hold a strong sense of adventure while also feeling safe. The carefully mosquito-netted porch is the perfect place to spend an afternoon soaking up the atmosphere, or sit at night with a candle and listen to the medley of frogs and crickets. The cabins are basic, but this is very much part of their charm, and they are clean with efficient air conditioning and very comfortable beds.

Breakfast with Betty, Vernon and the other guests was a delight. Hot food in a cosy cabin room, very quiet and laid back with Betty on her rocker telling us the history of the place. Her grandparents were trappers living on the water and she creates a vivid picture of how the culture and ecology of the wetlands has changed over the past 100 years. We came away with a profound impression of the 'Bayou Cajuns'.

Visitors should be prepared for a long and leisurely post-breakfast walk around the grounds as Betty has a maze of ponds, alligators, tortoises and cyprus trees to introduce. And, as someone mentioned below, wear mosquito repellent at all times. Long trousers and sleeves are also a good idea - this is true swamp land.

Listen to her suggestions for local attractions; Bayou Delight really is the best place to eat in the area, there's not a lot happening in Houma and Alligator Annie's son Jim gives excellent swamp tours (I study birds and my boyfriend is a doctor of biology, and both of us were fascinated by Jim's extensive knowledge of the trees, swamps, birds and other wildlife). The Mandalay Natural Wildlife Refuge is also not to be missed - assessable via a trail on the right of Bayou Black Road if you're driving towards Houma.

We stayed in a number of places in this area and Betty's stands out as far and away the best. Someone below advised to visit before it disappears and I would resoundingly agree.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jess F
Betty P, Owner at Wildlife Gardens Bed and Breakfast and Swamp Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2017

Dear People it has been a little while. Thank you for enjoying our little bit
of Heaven. Vernon & I both enjoy our guests stories. We learn all the time.
It is the sharing of lives that makes what we do really wonderful.

Betty & Vernon @ Wildlife Gardens

Reviewed August 17, 2015

We stayed the night in one of the cabins. It was a unique experience as the cabins are right over the swamp. At night you could hear the frogs singing. The cabins were very clean and the air conditioning cool. The next morning you are greeted by the owners Betty and Vernon where you are served a good breakfast and the host will sit and visit with you. After breakfast Betty and Vernon took us on walk where we were able to see a huge snapping turtle and some alligators. There was also a trappers cabin on property. Make sure to wear mosquito spray even in the morning. We didn't put any on before the walk and the mosquitoes were already out full force. We really enjoyed our time and would definitely recommend for anyone looking for a different experience from a regular motel.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family