All reviews screened in porch cajun culture next morning wildlife gardens alligators cabin bayou hosts troy property ms
Reviewed March 3, 2017

Betty and Vern are amazing people. They have incredible stories and take time to show you around the swamp. They will even help tow your car out of the mud when you get stuck. Breakfast was also top notch. The environment that the cabins are in is so beautiful. The cabins are literally on stakes above the swamp. You see lots of wildlife on their property. I love the white peacock. We hope to go frog hunting next time!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gummibearwear
Betty P, Owner at Wildlife Gardens Bed and Breakfast and Swamp Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2017

We hope the two of you are doing fine. We are having a very good season.
Hope to see you again in the future.
Betty & Vernon @ Wildlife Gardens.

Reviewed June 10, 2016

My boyfriend and I stayed here last summer, and wanted to come online to reiterate what a wonderful and rare place Betty's is, and something definitely not to be missed.

Just reading reviews below, while there are signs of industry in the area, these aren't a strong feature and the overriding impression is of bayous, swamp and woodland. The cabins are set well back from the road, deep in trees, and while you can hear the occasional motorbike accelerate, the frogs and crickets drown out all else. We were very fussy in terms of wanting to stay somewhere unspoilt and remote, and Betty's more than filled all criteria.

A tip for Bayou Delight; if you specify you don't want your fish breaded, and ask to have it grilled, they suddenly prove more than capable in providing a surprisingly tasty meal. We were shocked at the contrast. You can also swap the side of fries for an additional salad, making the food at Bayou Delight live up to the friendliness and hospitality.

Room Tip: All cabins are good, 4 and 5 are furthest from the road/ parking, so quieter, but feel more remote (which we loved)
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2016 via mobile

Have to review as other reviews are ridiculously generous. I agree Betty is charming (although she doesn't welcome you) and she booked a great airboat swamp tour for us but the cabins are really grotty and the location is not as remote as implied, in a semi industrial area with a lot of noise which destroys the rural illusion.
Bring bottled water and other supplies, the only shop is a gas station in Gibson. The only restaurant the Bayou "Delight" (haha) has the usual selection of fried breaded catfish.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed February 27, 2016 via mobile

It's been a couple of years since we went but I think about it often. I really enjoyed our stay and really want to go back. Our hosts were great. Vernon is Cajun all the way down to his bones and I really enjoyed listening to him talk about his youth and the history of the Cajun people. He told us that Cajuns are illiterate in two different languages and I thought that was really funny. He for sure had a thick accent. There were two women from France staying in the cabin next to ours. Vernon would speak French to them and they'd look at us kind of confused. Then he would speak English to us and we looked at THEM kind of confused. I got a big kick out of that. We ate dinner at Bayou Delight. It was tasty and had a zydeco band playing and belting out some nice Cajun French lyrics. Everyone was so nice. There was an older couple there celebrating their 50th anniversary and they passed out cake to everyone in the restaurant. We rode down there from Birmingham, Alabama on our motorcycle. I was having some issues with my chain so I pulled off on the side of the road to fix it. I needed some chain oil or wd40. The first person that drive by stopped and asked if I needed help and I just told him I needed some chain lube. He went back to his truck and gave me a can. I was just blown away by how nice the people were. I liked being down there so much and admired their simplified lifestyle that I constantly think and dream about living in that area of the country one day.

All this to say, I really enjoyed our stay!

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jon B
Reviewed October 31, 2015 via mobile

I spent a fantastic night here to break the journey from Houston to New Orleans. If what you're expecting (as I was) is a cabin in the middle of the swamp then yo won't be disappointed. The other couple staying there at the same time as me commented that their cabin was "a bit basic" - I'm not sure what they'd been reading to get their expectations up. For me it was just what I wanted.

I've corrected the location in Google Maps too

Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
3  Thank NickCrabtree
Betty P, Owner at Wildlife Gardens Bed and Breakfast and Swamp Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2017

WE really are glad to hear that you experienced exactly what we want to represent. Simply a cabin nestled in a natural Cypress Swamp. We are trying to keep it as natural
as we can but still have a full bathroom for our guests comfort.
We try to feed you a good home cooked breakfast. And give you a guided tour to
show you as natural as we can how our families lived in a Natural Cypress Swamp.

Hope we lived up to your expectations.
Betty & Vernon @ Wildlife Gardens