New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Wyndham Garden Lafayette

Wyndham Garden Lafayette
Ranked #37 of 48 Hotels in Lafayette
Morrison, Tennessee
“Should not be a Crown Plaza.....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

I had to switch rooms Three times..... First room smelled like Pee and carpets were just disgusting. Second room had ants. Which were all over. After moving rooms I ended up with ants on my things.(Yuk) Third room was my last room was ok but by that time I just wanted to get out of the hotel. I had other reservations the next day and was out by 8am. The staff was friendly and did help with the problems. But really this hotel needs a update horribly. You can tell they did some things to change but its not enough. Carpets need ripped up through out! Also walking in the side door the whole building had an smell. Just wouldn't recommend it at all.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Kayla T
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Lafayette, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
kayk_Tn,

Thank You for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Crowne Plaza around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message.

Ben J
IHG Care

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
The Woodlands, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

The sleep was good and the amenities were acceptable however the bathroom was less than acceptable. The toliet seat was loose and the towels had staining. Optically this made me nervous using the towels/shower/toilet.

I rank cleanliness as poor as the bathroom looked dirty.

Room Tip: request a room with a renovated bathroom and clean looking towels
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Opelousas, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

I have stayed at this property several (about 10) times since October with most of the stays being in December 2011 and it's always a pleasure. It quickly became my go-to hotel in Lafayette especially after I figured out that it usually comes up when you bid for a three-star on Priceline. (I've only had another property - the Hilton - one time on a Priceline bid.)

The hotel used to be the Best Western Hotel Acadiana and is an older property.
However, the rooms appear to have been recently renovated and are generally in excellent condition. The property is well-kept, clean, and quiet - the three things I look for most in a hotel.

The desk clerks are efficient and friendly. They accommodate my room requests (I prefer a king non-smoking NOT on the first floor) with a smile.

The restaurant's food is good and is reasonably priced. I had a cheeseburger and cheesecake from the restaurant and it was good, if not a bit slow to arrive.

Their Internet configuration is a little odd and it seems to load-balance between two ISPs (Cox and LUS Fiber) ... This can cause constant-streaming applications (Skype and FaceTime), large downloads (YouTube videos) and sometimes even fast-paced browsing to time out if you get caught in the switch between the two providers. The connection seems to be hard-capped at 3.0Mbps download per user...adequate but not spectacularly fast.

As a Priority Club member, my Priceline stays do not qualify for points. However, I always ask the clerk to add my member number to the stay anyway so that I may enjoy benefits such as late-checkout. This is always accomplished with little effort.

Try to stay on the sixth floor if you can. Floors two and four were used by UL for student residency and I'm not sure how those rooms look after that madness.

I've stayed on the first floor once, the third floor four times, and the sixth floor all other times.

I am at the property tonight.

I did not recognize the desk clerk (and he didn't recognize me - they usually recognize me) and he put me in a room on the first floor even though I requested the sixth and he agreed to do it and said the first floor probably because of the Priceline rate code on file.
I went back to the desk and asked to have my PC number attached (he did this) and to be moved to any floor other than the first. He moved me to the sixth floor, alright - to a room next to the ice and Coke machines and the elevator. It is clearly one of the "Priceline rooms" you so often hear about in hotels - the air conditioner doesn't work very well (the wall control doesn't work at all and I had to fiddle with the buttons on the unit for a few minutes before it would even turn on at all), there is paint patchwork on the walls and ceiling, and the carpet seems worn. I've never experienced this at the hotel before and I'm honestly kind of shocked. However, for the rate I'm paying I can't really complain and besides, the room is still VERY nice.

The bottom line is: This is my go-to hotel in Lafayette and would be even if it weren't such a great deal on Priceline. It is quiet, everyone is friendly, and it's an excellent value. Stay here if you can.

Always a pleasure, Crowne Plaza Lafayette! :-)

Room Tip: Ask for the sixth floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank CRS_91
Norman, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

We found this hotel via Priceline on our way back from Florida. We had been driving all day and got in to the hotel very late. The room was clean and comfortable. But we had no towels or toiletries in our room. Since it was late we didn't call the front desk about it. The next day the front desk staff was overly apologetic about the oversight. We also noticed that one of the headboards was broken and had never been fixed or replaced. Front desk staff was friendly.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

I agree with another reviewer about trying to stay on the 6th floor, which is where I stayed and had an excellent stay.

Although it is an aging hotel, it is very well kept up, and one would really have to be nitpicky to find signs of wear and tear. Besides, with rooms as low as $80ish/night, one should be reasonable and expect Ritz Carlton quality with those cheap prices.

The two queens were very comfortable with plenty of pillows and covers. The room was large and really nice, and the hotel nicely accomodated me with a cot for one of my kids, which was the best hotel 'cot' I had seen in a long time, as it had a heavy duty mattress and plent of coverings.

The A/C was loud enough that I turned it off before going to sleep, but that was the only downside of this stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank AustinTexn
Monroe, Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Don't check in on a Saturday.. hotel VERY NOISY... People yelling up and down the halls as well as beating on the doors and walls...things finally calmed down around 3 AM. We'll be staying elsewhere our next trip down to Lafayette.

Room Tip: We were in a room with a connecting door to another.. The people in the other room kept either knock...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Destrehan, Louisiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

Caution: two floors of the hotel are being used as dormitories by ULL students. The students themselves posed no problem at all, but safety concerns limited what would have been our most convenient elevators to only the students' floors. Translation: be prepared to walk a long way to and from from the elevator.

The location of the hotel is very convenient, close to many good dining options. Our room was nice and large, well-cleaned and with comfortable bed, desk, and other furnishings. The room had a small "kitchenette" area with only a sink and small refrigerator. But the hotel is starting to show its age. The room air conditioner dripped onto the carpet, soaking it, and the shower curtain in our room was incorrectly installed such that gravity opened the shower curtain at both ends.

Floors in pubic areas like hallways and elevators needed to be cleaned more often, and room service dishes sat outside the room across from us the entire weekend without being removed.

Being a member of their Priority Club rewards program, we were given a room for the weekend on the 6th floor. Supposedly it had special amenities, but as it turned out the special amenities (free breakfast, evening reception) were only available on weekdays.

To be fair, the front desk personnel were very welcoming. They dried the wet carpet and offered to move us to another room.

Room Tip: Priority Club members should request the 6th floor, where there is a free breakfast and evening rece...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple