“Worn is being kind”

Ranked #30 of 49 Hotels in Lafayette
San Jose, CA
“Worn is being kind”
Reviewed 6 October 2011

Looked clean and definitely worn at first glance. However, the bottom sheet on the bed was stained in several places. One stain was still greasy so by my standards the sheet should have been tossed. The sheets were so old and washed so many times that they were soft and almost sheer.

I had a tough time finding usable plugs to recharge my phone and other devices because the outlets a) didn't work or b) were so old that plugs fell out of them. I eventually unplugged the floor lamp which was "conveniently" plugged into the light switch by the door, laying my devices on the back of a chair. The plug in the bathroom supposedly worked if you flipped on the overhead light. It didn't so I couldn't use a hair dryer or the coffee pot (not that I would have). Plugging in my 5V charger into the same outlet as the TV tripped the breaker.

There were no privacy sheers so I had to keep the curtains closed during the day and there was no light because I had to unplug the floor lamp (see above). There's a lot of traffic -(bumper-to bumper during the day and speeders at night) so it was noisy. Weatherproofing around the door would have helped block the noise and light seeping in at night.

A running toilet and noisy A/C unit (also old) contributed to the noise. I used ear plugs that night.

The hanger hooks on the rack had to have been original because they were completely rusted.

On the plus side the room had a safe, a flat screen TV, free wi-fi and is 300' from the Blue Dog.

Yes, it's cheap and fairly clean but I stayed in other hotels at the same price on my trip which were not shabby or worn and offered fresh interiors.

Room Tip: Possibly a room in the back. I don't recommend a room in the front / near the office.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Carrboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Convenient and inexpensive motel in Lafayette’s Oil Center near University of Louisiana at Lafayette and less than 10 minutes from airport or downtown. Nothing fancy, nothing shabby, just nice rooms, and a decent free breakfast (featuring New Orleans’ own Community Coffee). Staff was friendly and offered extremely helpful information on local tourist sites. Best feature: It’s across the street from the Blue Dog Café, a popular Cajun-style restaurant with a lively crowd and live music. Other good restaurants are also within walking distance.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 April 2011

A friend and I stayed here one night on our way to New Orleans. The room was clean and comfortable. It is a no frills place. We were able to park our car right outside the door for easy loading and unloading. The only thing amiss was that the coffee pot looked a little dirty, like it had toothpaste residue on it from being by the bathroom sink, but we didn't use the coffee maker so it wasn't a big deal. The staff was nice and make check in/out easy. I probably wouldn't stay here for an extended period of time, but it was great for the one night.

Room Tip: Online booking is easy
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank CarrieJArmstrong
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 March 2011

From entering the small, musty Lobby to sign in, we should have known this place needed help. The day manager sent us to a room where the beds had not been made then sent us to a 2nd room. The air in the room was bad. The A/C just made it mustier smelling so we had to leave the door open for several hours. The windows don't open. It was a non-smoking room, so why was there and ashtray and matches in it? Wanted to shower but there are no hair dryers. Bed was hard and squeeked like it had a rubber sheet in it if you moved. As we settled in, at 9:30 a stranger tried to open the door. Turned out the day manager had forgotten to change the computer showing our moved and double-booked it. The guy outside was angry! The walls are thin and we could hear our neighbors TV until very late. The manager did apologize, but that was all. We finally drifted off to sleep, hoping we wouldn't be sick from the cruddy air. Then at 4 am the room phone rang - no one on it - I guessed it was our wake up call - that we did NOT ask for. The breakfast room wasn't bad, but no bread or bagels. "We ran out of waffles" we were told. Why couldn't the manager ask someone to guy buy a loaf of bread? It was 6:30 am and he had a full load of customers that hadn't eaten yet... On returning to our room we couldn't get in. The manager helped us, but I think next time we will say "Travelodge, NO THANKS!" (At least now we know why their Bear mascot looks so sleepy.)

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Lafayette hotels

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 2 January 2011

Clean comfortable but worn/dated rooms...staff friendly and helpful...no hairdryer in room...generous ice machine...breakfast Spartan

• Stayed January 2011
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Pros: location (next door to Blue Dog,) value (AAA rate $56 including tax,) helpful courteous staff, clean, good variety for breakfast, and last but not least I loved the rainfall showerhead.
Cons: older property but a non issue for us since it was clean

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank t.castle
Hampton, Arkansas
Reviewed 8 August 2010

My husband worked in Lafayette for several years so I'm quite familiar with this motel. My family has stayed here many times. It is hard to find a manager like Mark who is more helpful and courteous. I have always enjoyed visiting with him. The motel is older but every effort is made to keep it clean and comfortable. The neighborhood is quite safe. I have stayed there alone on many occasions and I have never felt uncomfortable. It is located close to many attractions and resturants. If you want the Hilton then stay at the Hilton but if you want small, comfortable, easy access and a great staff then this is the place for you. Lafayette is a wonderful city and I highly recomend everyone visit.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple