Hotels.com
eDreams
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
StayForLong
All reviews glass of wine fire pit hot tub dining experience huge fireplace trout point owners and staff the river great room before dinner wood stove hiking trails great job beautiful wilderness quick tour junior suite packed lunch
Selected filters
Reviewed August 30, 2020

Gorgeous resort! The staff are exceptional, very efficient and friendly! The food is fantastic, what a talented Chef!! They did a great job accommodating my Gluten free diet (Celiac Disease), almost everything could be made gluten-free and I did not get sick at all, I felt extremely safe eating there and everything was delicious. Really, the Chef is fantastic!
Many options to explore the beautiful nature, the paddle board and kayak are the highlights, and you can also swim at the lake.
We've been there twice in 2 months , we had a wonderful experience both times! And we are looking forward to going back!

Date of stay: August 2020
Patrick Wallace, Owner at Trout Point Lodge of Nova Scotia, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2020

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed August 25, 2020 via mobile

The positives here are the staff and the property. All staff we encountered were exceptional: friendly, efficient, and helpful. The rooms were cleaned twice a day and any complaints are very minor: a cleaning rag left behind, no conditioner one day, and dirty cutlery one meal.

The property is gorgeous. The pictures don’t do it justice. The cedar lodge is great and it is so tranquil being along the river. There are lots of games to play in the lodge and nice sets, not just beat up ones bought from WalMart years ago.

The rooms are a great size. We had a junior suite with fireplace in the main lodge and very much enjoyed the fireplace. The supplies for it were always refreshed. The furnishings are so unique and perfect for the “rustic” feel. The mattress is on the firm side.

Some items may have been removed from the rooms because of COVID-19 (iron and ironing board) and other items because they’re going for the unplugged feel. For example, there was no TV. The lack of a mini-fridge is a big draw back for me. You can put stuff in their fridge but it’s just not the same.

There wasn’t any place to get a snack or cold pop, not even a vending machine (COVID-19?). We asked for a pop and they happily got us some but they weren’t cold.

We were offered a complimentary glass of wine when we arrived and there were squares out in the afternoons. It is an adults only resort so there were no kids running around.

Another big plus was the food. All meals were superb. We are not foodies but if you are, the Michelin chef is fantastic. Dinner is an evening event and takes 2 - 3 hours. You book your dinner times when you arrive (6:30 - 8:30) and when you are finished dinner, you pick your breakfast for the next morning and select a time (8:00 - 10:00).

There are a few activities to do. The wood stove heated hot tub was fun. There’s are nice swing chairs to sit and read. There’s a large fire pit by the main lodge they’ll light for you. You can just take a kayak, canoe or paddle board or they have someone who can take you kayaking, for example. There is organized nature walks or you can go on 4 different hiking trails on your own.

The longest hike is 4 hours return; the shortest, 15 minutes. We did the blue trail which would have taken about an hour return but we made a loop of it and did part of the red trail. We did the short orange trail and tried the yellow trail but it is grown over. Other than the 4 hour hike, all other trails would be rated as easy.

One of the coolest activities I was looking forward to was the stargazing, but unfortunately, it was clouded over both nights we were there.

1  Thank tshep42
Patrick Wallace, Owner at Trout Point Lodge of Nova Scotia, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2020

Thank you so much for your detailed comments and for your kind words. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. For the benefit of future guests, we offer complimentary soft drinks any time and have a bar menu available all day. We were sorry to disappoint on the stargazing due to the cloudy skies, and hope to welcome you back for another attempt in the future! Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback.

Reviewed August 23, 2020 via mobile

Well over priced for a supposingly “luxury” resort. The setting is nice, log home and nature all around. Do not take the granite room, smells very mouldy and the owner just brought a de-humidifier and didn’t check back and was not at all caring had to empty the water for 2 days. Our room, the wood floor was buckled from water and very dangerous when coming out of the bed, this was the Acadian room. Our bed was very comfy but super squeaky. Didn’t get to have the stargazing, he said the astronomer could come ??? A lot of cobwebs everywhere in and outside. Also our toilet would wobble every time you used it. Also the lake water level was low which is not their fault but had all the kayaks on the side where there’s not much water so didn’t get to go on an adventure for too long, maybe 20 min. And the kayaks are pretty beaten up. The only thing that was worthwhile was the dinners, had great service from the waitresses and the food was exquisite!! It was also nice to have a local entertainer one evening. Also the trails could use a bit of cleaning up. All in all the place needs some maintenance done. It is 20 years old and has not had much done. Way overpriced for what you get.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your feedback and we are glad you enjoyed the your dinners. We apologize that stargazing was cancelled due to cloudy skies - we really hoped to be able to show you our amazing night skies as the experience is unforgettable! We take a very light touch with our trails in order to preserve the natural beauty of our forests to the maximum extend possible.
Thank you as well for your mention of some aspects that did not meet with your satisfaction. We sincerely appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed July 31, 2020

My partner, 16 year old daughter and I just returned from two nights at Trout Point Lodge. The setting is gorgeous with amazing views of the river and surrounding forest. The stargazing was a definite highlight as was the wood fired hot tub. The owners and staff are very personable and friendly but the service is subpar especially for a resort that bills itself as luxurious. I had high expectations going into our stay because I had read such positive reviews but I was hugely disappointed by our stay. I felt I did not get much value for my money. I believe you get what your pay for so I expected A LOT more for the almost $3000 spent on two nights.

The main building which has the reception area, library and restaurants is rustic and gorgeous. We stayed in the lakeside cottage though and it was like staying in a cottage that was furnished with old cast offs from my grandparent’s house. I would have been fine with that had I not paid over $1000 for two nights. Also, it was late July and the beds had huge duvets on them, which would be wonderful in the fall and winter but were way too hot for summer. They should consider summer weight bedding for the warmer months.

The food and dining experience were especially disappointing given how much the Lodge promotes itself as having a Michelin quality chef. Part of the reason we picked the Lodge was because they advertised having vegetarian options and I am a vegetarian. They had very few vegetarian options and the first night the entree was inedible. The second night it was an ounce of tofu on a plate with two pieces of broccolini. While it tasted fine, it was not worth the price they charged. On the second night the server told me that the chef admitted vegetarian cuisine was not his strength. Again, this would have been fine if they didn’t charge the same for the vegetarian meal as they did for meals with animal protein.

Additionally, when I arranged our stay I was told that I didn’t have to pre-book our dinner times. While this is true, it seems most people do book their dining in advance because the only times available for dinner was after 8pm each day. We were seated outside both nights but on the grass several feet away from the lighted patio area. By time our main courses arrived it was so dark we couldn’t see the food. Both evenings they moved us to a table in the lighted area once one became available, which was fine but not
what I consider to be luxurious. Also, the servers kept forgetting our drink orders and weren’t as attentive as I expect for the price I was paying.

I’ve travelled a lot and have stayed at luxury resorts as well as budget friendly hotels. I’m not picky and would have thought the Lodge was really nice if it had been half as expensive.

I understand that prices Likely need to be high in order for the owners to make a profit as the resort is small and remote and is likely expensive to run but if you bill yourself a a luxury resort with prices to
match, I expect more. I feel like I got a 3 star stay for a 5 star price.

Date of stay: July 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Wanderer680905
Reviewed November 18, 2019 via mobile

This beautiful lodge is really in the middle of nowhere. When you approach from the south and lose cell signal, you start to wonder where you are going. But once there, you realize that it is totally worth the trip. This small boutique inn has beautiful rooms, an excellent chef, and amazing staff that are very welcoming. Once we arrived, we were offered a glass of wine as we were given a quick tour before being shown to our room. Our room was a wonderful cabin style room with a big fireplace and doors to the balcony. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was large and squeaky clean. There is no TV or cell service although there is WiFi, so a perfect place to get unplugged. You are not given a room key as you can only lock your door from the inside, which is a bit unusual, but there is a room safe for your valuables, if needed. (Since there are only about a dozen rooms and no where to go, I guess they don’t worry too much about thefts.)

There is a lovely great room in the main part of the building with a huge fireplace, lots of games, a small bar, and a coffee and espresso machine, and big comfy couches and chairs if you want to read. The grounds are beautiful along the river with quiet trails through the woods, kayaks and paddle boards, an outdoor hot tub and sauna in a pretty, quiet outdoor setting, and a neat stargazing platform in an unusual open space by the water in an otherwise very wooded environment — one of the reasons we chose this place although we were unfortunately plagued with overcast weather the whole time. Despite the cloudy days, we truly enjoyed our walks through the woods and chose to do it independently instead of utilizing their informative trail guide.

In addition to the wonderful atmosphere, Trout Point spoils you with amazing meals that are obviously carefully prepared to satisfy their guests. They ask ahead of time about allergies and food preferences, and although they only serve a small number of guests, they do offer a variety in courses and options. I could go on and on about the meals that we had. We loved all of our meals. The presentation was creative, the preparation provided tender delicious flavors, and our meals were often accented with a wide variety of mushrooms right out of the woods, which my husband found fascinating.

Finally, I have to mention the outstanding service. From the owners to the lobby and wait staff to the lovely man who built our fire every day in our room, everyone was so welcoming and strive to meet our every need. We only said our name once when we arrived and then everyone knew who we were and how to bill us for meals, drinks, etc. You tip everyone at the end, except for housekeeping, which we found out later.

All in all, a wonderful place to visit if you want to be totally spoiled in a casual, beautiful, quiet atmosphere. We highly recommend !

Date of stay: October 2019