1,337 results
All reviewsleisure facilitiesshort breakfood was lovelybuffet stylespa breakhooksaunabasingstoke
Reviewed June 8, 2018

Probably the worst hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay at. So called Executive Room was dark dingy noisy & airless, wallpaper peeling, so called window was velux style unable to see out of, crack in wash basin leaking water, toilet sloping, 3 lights not working, 1 light faulty wiring, could feel bed springs, old lift clanking through late night use, running bath in adjoining room deafened after midnight, "free" wi-fi only available in public areas not in room.
Twice the price and half the quality of Premier Inn or Travelodge.
No response either in hotel or after contacting H/O to complaints, actually heard at least 3 people making complaints while near reception.

Worst of all due to no air conditioning all fire doors left open 24 hours a day meaning any fire would quickly spread giving no chance for guests to escape making the whole building a DEATH TRAP. Never ever again, would sooner sleep in the car.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank stevekeki
Reviewed June 6, 2018

Visited as part of a large group for a reunion, was a little concerned after reading some of the reviews but was pleasantly surprised. There are some areas that need a little attention but everything was clean, the bed comfortable and the food was good. The pool is in a beautiful glasshouse and there are plenty of sitting areas in the enclosed garden. The staff were friendly and helpful. We had a lovely weekend.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank janicem542016
Reviewed June 1, 2018

We stayed 2 nights as we were at a wedding nearby and were looking for a fairly budget option to keep our travel costs down a bit. We arrived at the train station in Hook and tried to call the phone number for the hotel that was on our booking, but this number didn't work so we then had to use roaming data to find another number online. It took the hotel a good while to answer and when they did they would give us no further directions than that it was 'about a mile out of town' and wouldn't call us a taxi, asking us to wait at the station and see if any taxis turned up at the taxi rank there (they didn't, we had to find a number on a sign at the station and call one ourselves, again charged at international rates for us!).
We arrived at the hotel to find it very busy with only one staff member on reception - it seemed very understaffed considering she told us they had 2 conventions arriving that day and we queued a little while.
The room was well sized but very tired, the bed uncomfortable and badly made up with the sheets just thrown on and the pillows were really flat and worn out. Drinking glasses weren't clean (and the next day when we asked for the room to be cleaned the glasses were left unwashed again), the door frame to the bathroom was filthy, with suspicious brown stains, the shower curtain dirty, water stains on the ceiling and the shower wouldn't hold a consistent temperature at all! I had been hoping that a 'Country Hotel and Spa' would provide some toiletries as we had flown over and I had been limited on the products I could bring in my hand luggage, unfortunately this wasn't the case - there was a hair and body wash dispenser on the wall which I unfortunately only discovered was empty during my pre-wedding shower and ended up having to wash my hair with the one tiny bar of hand soap that was the only toiletries provided between 2 people for the 2 night stay! Needless to say, I didn't feel like I looked my best after that! I'm usually the type of person that would ask at the front desk for help with something like this, but they were constantly so busy that it felt easier to just go along with what we had.
We did discover that it was quite easy to walk into town as there was a footpath and it was more or less a straight road - I'd say it took around a half hour (if you go out in the evening though you will need the torch on your phone as the road isn't lit at night and there are nettles all along the path, though there were plenty of other people about and it seemed safe enough!) there is a pub and a pizza takeaway about 5 mins along the main road from the hotel, and a few pubs in Hook itself. We ate breakfast at The Raven, which was good value for money and looked much cleaner.
The lack of wifi in the hotel was a pain as we were trying to meet up with friends and had to either use roaming data or walk into town and use the wifi in other hotels/ pubs there. I didn't even realise there were hotels that charged extra for wifi use any more! I wouldn't bother paying for it though as the free 1/2 hour we got was slow and unreliable anyway.
Overall I would say that this hotel is fine if you literally want somewhere inexpensive to bed down overnight, but it sadly doesn't live up to the way it looks from the outside and was much closer in quality to a motel than a country hotel and spa! The staff were pleasant but just seemed over-stretched and over-worked for the amount of guests there when we stayed.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2018

The staff are great and the place is clean and tidy (in the 4 rooms i have stayed in).
Either a bath or a shower which is good, Poor aircon in the rooms i have stayed in, fan available but why oh why in todays' age do we have to pay for Wifi.
A 20 minute free wifi service does not amount to be able to advertise it for free when you have to apy.
It should be in the price seeing that the rooms can vary from website to website.
Do shop around for a deal as it can be expensive.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed May 31, 2018 via mobile

Found the hotel clean & tidy rooms clean & all the reception staff very friendly & welcoming the waiting staff also very pleasant unfortunately the restaurant manager was like a little Hitler walking around with a clip board making announcement before opening the dining room that we must gave him our room number & wait to be seated he was very intimidating!!!! We were a group of 5 people so after the 3rd night any professional manager would remember a table of 5 (not a everyday number of people usually 2, 4,or even 6) but not him think he enjoyed the power. There wasn't much choice of food 4 nights we had fish on the menu no variety.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family