“SCAM!!! Stay away. Shady business practices and unprofessional!”

Swamp Adventures LLC
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Luling
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Airboat tours offered daily just 25 minutes from downtown New Orleans. Round trip transportation available
Reviewed July 12, 2017

My wife and I were on a local plantation tour (Whitney Plantation, the most amazing tour) and asked a few staff about a swamp tour and they mentioned a place by the side of the road on our way back to New Orleans. Neither person knew the name of the company, simply offering a phone number (googled the # to find out it was Swamp Adventures). I called and was informed that they had space for a 2pm tour.

We arrived as another tour had just come in, and the event at that time seemed promising. We were told the tour would be an 1hour and 40 minutes long (100 mins). That being said, neither captain who was there seemed to want to take us out. After being introduced to our captain, he asked what time it currently was and stated, "Great I've got 8 minutes to relax". First flag went up.

At our scheduled time, we headed out after a quick briefing from the captain. I spotted a gator after about 5 minutes or so on the water. Turns out this is one of their "pet" gators, Goliath, whom they feed regularly and keep around to provide an authentic alligator experience with. The captain then proceeded to add a turkey neck to a small PVC pipe with a wire on the end and feed the gator directly. I was shocked at this and seemed counter to everything I was raised (in FL) to understand about wild gator behavior. Second flag went up and this was before he tried to lure the gator towards the boat for my wife to pet it.

After moving on down the main channel, we then went into a few thicker wooded areas, spotting only 1 single fish. That's it. Simultaneously, the weather was changing (usual afternoon thunderstorm approaching) and the captain received an alert on his phone about lightning in the area and so we headed back to the dock. TOTAL TIME ON THE WATER WAS 30 MINUTES.

We got back to the docks and immediately the woman who booked the tour for us started to turn on the Southern charm. "You guys will have to come back and see us next time you're in town", "You make sure to ask for me and make sure you bring your grandma too"(unclear why she mentions grandparent here). After informing we were flying home the next day and were in the area for a conference, she stated, "Well maybe you'll come back next year for a conference".

This was all a prelude to the inevitable which she knew was coming: we would ask for a refund. After my wife finally asked for a partial refund, we were told "It's our policy, we can't refund after the boat leaves the dock."

It rains everyday in the Southeast (esp LA) from June through October, almost without fail. Swamp Adventures is likely making a killing off of these partial "tours", by luring unsuspecting tourists out for the afternoon, even with inclement weather approaching, and offering a half-*** tour. They then save on their costs (fuel, human capital) by stating it's their policy to not refund and netting the increased profit. The woman was in her truck pulling out almost before we were.

We were not informed of any cancellation policy and it is no where on their website. Beware! This is a terrible shady business, with horrible customer service. We felt like we got played as tourists since we didn't live in the area and likely wouldn't be back.

STAY AWAY!

in 33 reviews
"bayou"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed June 28, 2017 via mobile

We had captain Rodney who was great. We saw many alligators and were able to feel them and get close. Captain Rodney made everything fun and was your prototypical swamp type guy. Two thumbs up.

Reviewed June 25, 2017

I was referred to this outfit from another tour company who couldn't accommodate me. I was in an airboat with a family of 5, with Captain Rodney at the helm. Rodney is a fantastic character, whose family roots go back to the late 1600's in the New Orleans area, before that from Canada so a true Cajun. He deftly looks us around the maze of waterways that make up the Bayou, pointing out not only alligators but white Egrets, giant crickets called "Devil's Horsemen," spiders that are harvested for their silk, and kept us laughing by calling his favorite gators to the boat with his heavy Creole accent.

According to Rodney, it is illegal in the State of Louisiana to feed alligators, but because Swamp Adventures sits on their own property, they allow their guests to feed them, which if you can believe it, is highly entertaining. Rodney would put a chicken leg on a hook on the edge of a homemade fishing pole, and dangle it over the edge of the airboat until a gator would swim up and snap it off the hook with it's powerful jaws. He even coaxed a gator up onto the boat a couple of times! I was of two minds about this practice, but as there is no scarcity of gators in these swamps, I ended up deciding it was okay.

I recommend Swam Adventures not only because of Rodney, but also because their boats are small making for a more intimate experience, and fast, which provides for nice breezes on searing hot summer days. We didn't see anyone else on our tour, so it really felt like we had the swamp to ourselves, and the sense of scale is overwhelming - the swamp is huge!

Reviewed June 6, 2017 via mobile

We passed this place on the side of the highway on our way to tour a plantation and it looked a little shady. its basically a little building with airboats out front. On our way back from the plantation tour we stopped in and talked to a guy who told us some info and we decided to book a tour for that day at 2pm.
It was a beautiful day and the weather was perfect. We were the only ones booked for the 2pm so we had the whole boat to ourselves. Our captain was Dave and he was fantastic! Very personable and well educated on the Bayou and its inhabitants and history. We learned a lot and saw some Awsome wildlife.
These tickets were not cheap 80 dollars a person for 1 hour 45 min tour. At first I thought it was priced high but after the tour it was worth it.
We saw a lot of alligators and other beautiful sights. Where the ear muffs they provide the boat engine is very loud.
Would recommend them to everyone we know!