“Loved the chargrilled oysters, fried oysters, hush puppies, onion rings”
Review of DON'S Seafood

DON'S Seafood
Ranked #34 of 539 Restaurants in Metairie
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: DON'S SEAFOOD More Than Eighty Years of Exceptional Seafood South Louisiana locals and visitors have been drawn to DON'S authentic Cajun cuisine for more than 80 years. Menu selections including traditional Landry family recipes, and more recent original creations like Zydeco Shrimp, are well worth repeat visits. Many stop in daily for oysters on the half shell or boiled crawfish in season. DON'S bartenders serve Signature Old Fashioned cocktails alongside the newest specialty drinks, many made with Louisiana products. DON'S SEAFOOD began in 1934, when Don Landry opened his first restaurant and bar in downtown Lafayette with $400 borrowed from his uncle. Prohibition had just been lifted and at only 24 years old, he envisioned serving drinks and offering a simple menu featuring fresh local seafood. Four generations later, the Landry family has expanded that humble beginning into what would eventually become the DON'S SEAFOOD of today. Continuing the tradition, the Landry family still owns and operates each location. An extensive menu of original South Louisiana Cajun family recipes, the freshest Gulf seafood and sizzling steaks is offered. Each location boasts a unique Acadiana-inspired décor, all have a full-service bar and grill, perfect for casual diners or sports enthusiasts. Every DON'S SEAFOOD grill features an open charbroiler where diners can watch exclusive dishes being prepared like DON'S Original Jacked Up OystersTM loaded with bacon, jalapenos and pepper jack cheese. Whether you're just passing through South Louisiana or live right around the corner, you'll find a DON'S SEAFOOD location near you in Lafayette, Denham Springs, Gonzales, Hammond, Covington and Metairie.
Reviewed December 5, 2014

We got a recommendation for Don's from our hotel staff. We had heard of chargrilled oysters and wanted to try them for the first time, and we were not disappointed with Don's oysters. Loved the fresh grilled taste with lemon, butter, garlic. Yum! My friend liked the shrimp/scallop/corn soup on special. After finishing the oysters and soup we went on a fried food adventure with hush puppies and onion rings, and oh boy were they perfectly fried and really good. My husband's fried oysters were the best I've ever tasted. Our waitress was efficient and attentive, and she gave us the heads up on the evening's drinks specials so we could take advantage of the drink deals. We had several good margaritas! The restaurant was almost empty, so we had no problems with noise in the dining room or waiting for service. We really enjoyed our first visit to Don's.

Reviewed November 18, 2014

Went to Don's Seafood for lunch on a Sunday and it was packed. We had just driven in from East Texas and my husband and I were hungry. The hostess told us they had room in the bar and we could set and order there. We did that.
Now when I go to New Orleans area I love to eat char grilled oysters and that's what I had. They were excellent. We were able to watch the guy grill them, which was fun. My husband had an seafood angel hair pasta alfredo dish, which was again very good. It was one of the specials for the day.
We liked it so much, we went back for dinner with my brother and his wife.
We had a variety of things. The jacked up oysters, soft shell crab. stuffed shrimp, it was all good. We did not leave hungry and all was very satisfying. The wait staff was good and helpful. We had a fun time.

1  Thank kissinkousins
Reviewed November 10, 2014

I went on a Saturday night with my wife after a show for a nice dinner to celebrate our anniversary. Both of us we’re disappointed. Since my last visit things have definitely changed for the worst. It seems as if there has been a shift in cooking style that caters to a different palate. I have experienced this before and refuse to frequent an establishment whose main ingredient and answer to flavor is butter, literally soaking just about everything. We first started with the Jacked up Oysters and they were more like Get Jacked Oysters. They only served eleven small oysters instead of the usual twelve or thirteen decent sized ones. Ingredients used for the Jacked up Oysters were minimal and not what I remembered from my last visit. My wife ordered the crab dinner soaked in butter, and I had the shrimp dinner soaked in butter. The only part of her crab dinner that was not too greasy was the fried crab claws and the only part of my dinner not too greasy was the fried shrimp, which I must admit, was good. As of the last visit when I ordered a dinner, it came with a small dinner salad. Not this time. As far as the wait staff goes, we had a very young polite waitress whom seemed to be overworked which is surprising more staff were not available to assist in what is usually a busy night. Sorry Don’s but your standards have fallen and I cannot patronize your establishment unless a substantial change is made in your cooking style. Lastly, the cost was out the ball park for what we had received. The bill was over eighty dollars before tipping for two dinner’s one appetizer and two iced teas. After tipping I was almost a hundred dollars light for a subpar meal. For that kind of money I should have treated my spouse to a good steak instead. While writing this a friend of mind was reading my review as I wrote and he stated, quote “yeah, they have gone down”.

1  Thank Damon A
DonsS7, Manager at DON'S Seafood, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2014

Dear Damon A.,
We appreciate you dining with us in celebration of your anniversary. Since 1934, Don's Seafood has been dedicated to offering the best dining experience and fine Cajun food. It is very important to us that every visit to Don's is wonderful. We hope you will consider responding to the personal message we sent. We would appreciate having an opportunity to speak with you personally about your visit.

DON'S Seafood

Reviewed November 2, 2014

the food was very good and we had our room for my nephews Rehearsal dinner. Very friendly staff and for the food we was a lot of variety

1  Thank Lausier15
Reviewed August 27, 2014

You know it's a great place when wait list is out the door.The hotel desk and the gas station folks recommend it to us as the best seafood place, period. We had a comfortable wait in their outdoor beer garden and enjoyed the evening breeze. I love gator and they didn't disappoint. The kids ordered traditional cajun style seafood and we all shared so we could sample....it all was marvelous. Two beers, two soft drinks, an iced tea and all our food, including tip, was $118. I didn't think it was bad at all for the quantity and quality of the fresh seafood we enjoyed. Even though we stayed in a hotel the kids took boxes with them and snacked on their leftovers the next day.

Been to DON'S Seafood? Share your experiences!