“Nice looking but poorly run”

Sheraton Metairie New Orleans
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Metairie
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Every single aspect of the stay was terrible, but the hotel looked nice and the room was fine.

Horrible unattentive service by every person that worked there. Every time someone had a chance to be addequate they let me down. It was shocking really. They need to retrain everyone there or something. Just horrible, horrible, employees.

Positives: pass to a great gym nearby while theirs is being worked on, free parking!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank davrodrg
Sheraton-Metairie, General Manager at Sheraton Metairie New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

As much as we hate to see negative comments about a past stay at our hotel, I appreciate your honesty and for taking the time to bring these matters to our attention. On behalf of me and the entire staff of our hotel, we are truly sorry that we didn't live up to your expectations during your stay. Thank you so much for your comments. The feedback will help us improve our service and product for the future. I do apologize, if my staff was less than accommodating. It is our goal to surpass all expectations as it relates to guest service. I hope we have the honor of hosting you again in the future and we thank you for your business. Sincerely, Paula Evans, General Manager

Reviewed 4 April 2012

We needed a hotel for an overnight stay prior to our cruise that was leaving the next day. This location worked well since it was easy to get to from the airport, and to get to the cruise terminal the next day.

We were a bit early arriving and had to wait until our room was ready (not a criticism!), however the staff made us feel very welcome and we found the lobby to be very comfortable. A number of other people had also arrived early and were in similar circumstances, including one rude individual who felt he was more important than anyone else. The situation was handled expertly by the staff who ensured that we were all treated with respect.

The room itself was very nicely appointed and comfortable. Initially we were a bit worried that there would be noise from the nearby Interstate, however I have to say that this was one of most quiet hotel rooms we had ever stayed in; some real attention to noise dampening must have been considered in the design.

We made use of the restaurant for both our dinner and breakfast the next morning and were pleased with the food. We did notice however that there did appear to be some staff shortages that might have affected the restaurant's ability to serve adequately (one couple waited quite a while and left after not being served).

We were a little dissapointed to find that WiFi is not included as part of the stay at the Hotel, but was offerred at a fairly steep price. This was mitigated somewhat by the availability of internet workstations in the lobby that were made available to patrons.

One last item of concern; we had wanted to use the outdoor pool facilities but noticed some significant damage had occurred to some of the tiles in the pool and were lying on the bottom; in our opinion the pool area probably should have been closed to aviod injury.

All in all I would still recommend the location due to it's strong points. The location is a little hard to find (the front staff was constantly answering queries on the phone from confused motorists) however once you find it your stay is likely to be peaceful and pleasant.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank JohnnyLinux

Thank you for taking time to provide us with such an honest review of your stay at our hotel. We love knowing that our staff made you feel welcome and provided you with such a positive experience and we will definitely share your comments with them. We are happy to hear that you had the opportunity to utilize other amenities that our hotel has to offer. Also I am happy to inform you we have made the necessary and needed repairs to our pool and surrounding area. It was nice of you to take the time to share your comments. Thank you for recommending our hotel and I do hope we have the honor of you being our guest again in the very near future. Sincerely, Paula Evans, General Manager

Reviewed 31 March 2012

After a long day of driving, my husband and I arrived at the Sheraton in Metairie just after 3:00 pm (the beginning of check-in time). I was told my room was not ready even though it was after the acceptable check-in time. When I asked when I could expect my room (or an alternate room) to be ready, I was told, "I don't know." The front desk attendant did not offer any other words; no offering of another room, no suggestion that the front desk could call me when my room was ready, or even a guess at when I might finally be able to shower and rest. Instead, I was given a short response of "I don't know." Little did I know this would be a preview of the kind of service I could expect for the remainder of my stay.

After 4:00 I called the front desk to find out if my room was ready (I didn't want to drive back only to be told again that my room was not ready.) After several minutes on hold, I was told my room was available. I dumped my luggage into my room and hopped into the shower. Just as I was exiting the shower, the door to my room opened! Luckily, I had placed the security latch across the door which caught and startled the person entering my room with a key! I immediately called the front desk to find out why someone other than room service or housekeeping had been able to enter my room! The front desk didn't know and said they would investigate and call me back. Several minutes later I was told there had been a misunderstanding and that the hotel's system had not updated yet, allowing someone else access to my room! This was quite an unnerving experience as you can imagine.

As I mentioned in my title, this hotel paid little attention to details. While the latch on my door worked (thank goodness!), the deadbolt did not latch. There was not "do not disturb" sign in my room and when I went to the front desk to get one, I received one that was ripped and had difficulty hanging on the door. There was no hair dryer or robe in my room although a co-worker had both in her room (same kind of room). My co-worker also had a shaving mirror on the wall in her bathroom (I had a patched up hole of where one used to be) and a lamp on her work desk. I did not, which was unfortunate for someone on a business trip. In addition, the quality of housekeeping was sporadic. Some days I would receive refills on toiletries; other days I'd be left with plenty of disposable Starbucks coffee cups but no coffee lids and no toilet paper or tissues. When I used the gym, I had to call the front desk for more water cups. Again, little attention to detail.

There were a few positive aspects about the hotel, however my experiences as mentioned above outweighed the positive. There is free parking, free wi-fi in the lobby (it costs money in your room), electrical outlets available on the side of the night stand, the bathroom has plenty of storage space (even in the shower), and the room has plenty of seating areas and featured curtains that really kept the room dark when used.

I travel often to the New Orleans for extended business trips, but I will certainly never make the mistake of staying here again.

Room Tip: The gym is on the fifth floor so make sure your room is away from it if you'd like a quieter exp...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank foxegurl266
Sheraton-Metairie, General Manager at Sheraton Metairie New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Please allow me this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay at our hotel. Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback which will enhance our guest’s experience. I was saddened to hear that the service our staff provided was not up to the level of service for which we are known. Our team members undergo ongoing customer service training, to improve our service delivery. Also please be assured that the issues raised have been investigated and appropriate action has been taken to prevent any guests being similarly inconvenienced in the future. We strive to always be at the top of our game and to take care of our guests needs at every opportunity. I hope to have an occasion to have you back as our guest so that we can show you the exemplary service each of our valued guests expect and deserve. Thank you again for taking the time to give your feedback and we hope to see you again. Sincerely, Paula Evans, General Manager

Reviewed 15 March 2012

If you wish to visit the Big Easy, but not stay in the 'Quarter' this is a very good choice with clean updated facility, free parking, free wifi, decent food and beverage service and value rates.
This hotel is specifically for those who are planning to drive, as there is little in walking range, but it is an ideal point for touring the city, the plantations, and the bayous of the area. We loved the easy access to the French Quarter, the Garden District, and a number of plantations and small nearby towns, but would never have attempted without a rental car.

Room Tip: Club floor is a worthy upgrade
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank RovingJohnUSA

Thank you so much for your patronage and for sharing your positive experience with us. Many of our guests appreciate the tranquil surroundings as an escape from the hustle and bustle of the city and it’s great to know you enjoyed the accommodations as well. Your feedback means a lot to us and we look forward to seeing you in the future. Sincerely, Paula Evans, General Manager

Reviewed 14 March 2012

Stayed here on 3/13/12 and while the rooms have recently been re-done, the room I stayed in had a stale, musty odor which could have been a result of the A/C being below par.
There are not any restaurants or entertainment nearby and no taxis on-hand. We waited 30 minutes for a cab and finally had to take our own car to the restaurant.
Staff was friendly and helpful and food service on the club floor was acceptable and on-time but as I said, this hotel is sufficient if you need to stay in the area but don't make a special trip.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank PointAfter
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Finally remodeled in late 2011, far below Sheraton standards prior to then. The swimming pool is outside and no hot tub, mediocre at best. Restaurants menu leaves at lot to be desired and is expensive. The staff is nice but don't rely on the wake up call. Good location and parking garage is nice but congested when the 2nd floor ball room is in use. The card system used for linen & bedding changes does not work well, frequently ran out of towels and had to call down for some. They need to do away with that practice. Price was reasonable.

Room Tip: The 7th floor executive level is nothing special, save your money.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We spend a lot of our life working on cruise ships, so it is wonderful to spend a night in a hotel with a comfy bed and fluffy pillows. We arrived at 1am after a flight from San Francisco and even at this time there was a warm welcome. The room was large and clean, with plenty of drawer space for a longer stay. Breakfast is a sort of help yourself affair, on the same floor as your room, but was adequate.
I would say the hotel would be more suitable for people with cars as it appears to be some distance away from anywhere one would want to go to, although i believe there is a shuttle to the local mall.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business