“Best in the area”

Kanno California Sushi Bar
Ranked #96 of 523 Restaurants in Metairie
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 7 February 2017

After reading all of the raves about this sushi spot, I was excited when I found myself in the area for lunch.

First of all, I'm going to be honest- I didn't even mess with the tiny parking lot they have. What is the deal with Metairie and those tiny "one way in, one way out" lots? No. Uh uh. I parked across the street and kept my sanity. Walking in, the restaurant is almost as small as the parking lot. There are a few tables scattered throughout and, of course, the sushi bar area. I was seated at a table in the corner by a very sweet waitress.

I decided to start with a miso soup as I looked over the menu. I was pretty hungry, so I got the protein special roll which is salmon and tuna wrapped around spicy tuna, snow crab and avocado. Note: their special rolls contain no rice. I also got a Philly roll and a crawfish roll. All of the rolls were excellent. The protein roll was huge and well worth the money and, if I'm being honest, I could have gotten this roll and the miso soup and called it a day. The Philly roll was tasty and I especially loved the crawfish roll because it had a nice, spicy kick to it. I have been very into rolls with a little spice added, as of late.

Service was great. The waitress was friendly and fast to take my order and bring everything out, even though the place was full. My drinks were refilled regularly and the little chocolates at the end of the meal were a nice touch. While I wouldn't necessarily drive from the Westbank to Metairie for their sushi, I would absolutely choose this spot over other sushi restaurants that I have tried in the area.

1  Thank Marielle S

Reviewed 13 September 2016 via mobile

I got the spicy tuna roll, the David roll, and the lobster special. Spicy tuna was great. The other two were VERY SWEET. Not for me :(

1  Thank kitdoor
Reviewed 20 August 2016 via mobile

You may think twice about this place if you call to make a reservation and get the stoned-sounding staff person I talked to, but disregard any initial concerns. The cuisine here is some of the best I've ever eaten outside Japan, and certainly the place to go in NOLA. For example, they offer REAL wasabi and pickled ginger. This stuff is totally different than what most Americans are used to. Everything we had was so authentic, including the edamame, miso soup, chicken teriyaki appetizer, tuna box sushi, king crab and king salmon nigiri. The Elvis roll was a fun and tasty, with a generous hunk of blue crab meat on top of each piece. We will be back.

Reviewed 27 June 2016

Fresh sushi, prompt service and delicious homemade chocolate to complete your meal! My favorite rolls are the Elvis and Protein rolls (no rice!)

1  Thank Stephanie H
Reviewed 6 June 2016

There are a lot of sushi options around where i live but this is my go to place. I'd recommend the spider roll or the shrimp shumai dumpling soup. Those are my go-to favorites.

Been to Kanno California Sushi Bar? Share your experiences!