“Amazing Follow-up to Houstons'”

Boulevard American Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Boulevard American Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #110 of 527 Restaurants in Metairie
Price range: US$10 - US$38
Description: Introducing Creole Cuisine Restaurant Concept's latest venture, Boulevard American Bistro! Located conveniently on Veterans Blvd. in Metairie, Boulevard boasts a family-friendly upscale American menu and a sophisticated cocktail/wine list fit for the most experienced diner.
Reviewed 24 February 2016

Sometimes chasing a legend is difficult. In this case the Boulevard Bistro opened in the same location that a very popular New Orleans restaurant, Houstons' occupied. For reasons unknown to me, Houstons' gave up the location, and the Boulevard Bistro moved in.

My brother, who was a huge fan of Houstons', made reservations on a Sunday for our family to have dinner. When we arrived, we found that the decor and ambiance was very similar, if not exactly the same as its previous occupant. And for good reason, its beautiful.

The service was excellent, and Derek, our server was especially attentive to any request. Several of us had the prime rib, and my spouse ordered the rack of BBQ ribs. The ribs must have been very good, because she ate them all, and didn't even offer me one. I reluctantly had the prime rib, I say reluctantly because I don't like the texture. Since I had not had any for some time. I ordered it medium rare, but it came VERY rare and I had to send it back for the chef to put it on the grill for a few minutes, as did others in our party. The staff was very accommodating and responsive to our request. Upon returning with our meal, they even gave me a new loaded baked potato since I had taken a few bites of the original one. That was classy.

I think the star of our table was the pork chop. It was huge. This was a very popular entree at Houstons' and the Boulevard carried on that tradition. I didn't have one but that will be on my radar at the next visit.

All in all it was a first-class dining experience. The food, service and ambiance were excellent. I highly recommend the Boulevard American Bistro.

Reviewed 18 February 2016

It's obvious the new owners simply tried to duplicate the success of the former Houston's as the decor, menu, waitstaff and ambience are nearly identical. The difference is the quality of service, food and overall energy of the former restaurant have seemed to disappear...but the relatively high prices have not. Went for dinner and ordered the house cream spinach artichoke dip which was only luke warm and took 10 minutes to arrive on a slow night. Our entrees were ordered at the same time and came within 3 minutes of receiving the appetizer, not allowing us to enjoy it. The wood grilled redfish was tasteless and had far to much butter sauce. The cheeseburger was very good. The waitstaff that served us were polite but just going through the motions and did not help the overall dining experience. You may want to try a real Houston's for the money...

Reviewed 18 February 2016

This is a very good well run restaurant. It is in the location of the old Houston's and is every bit as good. Lots of the same management, cooks and service staff as the old Houston's. Crabmeat topped fish is also back on the menu! Everthing I have had there is good.

Reviewed 1 February 2016

When Houston's abruptly closed, everyone was saddened by the departure of a restaurant that had been in the city for over 30 years. Houston's provided good food and good service, at a high price. They say 'if aint broke, why fix it' and that seems to be the mentality the owners of Boulevard took. From the ambiance to the food and service, and high prices, you get a feel of Houston's

Many items that were customer favorites at Houston's have migrated over to Boulevard, including many appetizers, salads and burgers. One favorite was the spinach and artichoke dip so we ordered that as an appetizer and it tasted very similar to Houston's - nice nostalgic feel. We also ordered salad and a burger, both of which were very good with good flavors and decent portions.

Overall, the Boulevard provides good food, good service, decent portions and a high price - very similar to Houstons :)

Reviewed 27 January 2016

Since the menu is almost identical to the former Houston's at the same location, expectations for service are similar. Our waiter was a bit quirky in his mannerisms and service. He was obviously hard of hearing. We ordered two appetizers for the table of four to share. One came out, the other did not. We thought maybe he had not heard us order it, so we inquired. He informed us that it is the restaurant's policy that when multiple appetizers for sharing are ordered, he can only put in the order one at a time. The order for the second appetizer could not go in until the first appetizer was on our table. I think this sounds a bit odd as a policy. I think he simply forgot to put in the order.

Been to Boulevard American Bistro? Share your experiences!