“Norbert Leblanc” 5 of 5 bubbles

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Norbert Leblanc”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Most awesome experience ever! Norbert was great! He was so knowledgeable and so kind he had a great sense of humor and just a kick of moonshine! wink wink. He has pictures when he was a gator hunter. Showed some magazines he was in. And spun some stories and of course as he says the blue herons have a little red around the necks and so he calls them red necks. He is as Cajun as they come with a thick accent but very understandable he gave us the tour in French and American.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Aprilvioletrose

Kingsland, Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“AWESOME”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Absolutely wonderful. Our guide was authentic and very knowledgeable about the swamp and all the wildlife in it. Great job, a good time was had by all.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank Jennifer R
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Highlight of our trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2010

Upon arrival at Lake Martin for our swamp tour, we saw about 10 people getting into a boat and I was a little disappointed because I wanted something on a more personal level. As we turned right to find a parking spot, I was thrilled to see Norbert off to the side near a different boat. Hubby and I ended up being the only ones to tour with Norbert that day!

Norbert used to be an alligator hunter but gave that up when the payout fell to $10 per foot. He will do swamp tours at Lake Martin, which is very convenient to the Breaux Bridge / Lafayette area. I also heard others tell of his great knowledge of the Achafalaya Swamp area.

While the other boat zoomed off to the south side of the lake, going too fast for people to see too much and scaring away the wildlife, Norbert trolled us north directly away from them. We knew immediately that we had made the correct guide choice. By keeping our voices at a lower conversational level, wildlife was very easy to spot and we got quite close to even the herons.

Norbert is as home grown Cajun as you can get. While he has an accent, there is no issue with understanding everything he relates. He showed an incredible knowledge of the flora and fauna of the swamp as well as local history and ecological changes of the area. He may be 75 years old, but his physical and mental acumen couldn't be sharper. At one point, I saw a piece of litter floating on the swamp. I asked him to pull along side it so that I could pick it up. Unfortunately, I missed. Norbert then reached down and grabbed what may have been a tool used for grabbing a frog or snake. He whipped it out, grabbed the cup, and put it in the boat so fast that Hubby and I both started laughing. I haven't seen such quick reflexes in the Ninetendo/Wii generation!

We saw numerous alligators and even tracked one by its bubbles until it emerged from the water. Norbert identified birds that we weren't familiar with as well as the various plant life.

The only disappointment about the trip was when it was over. I could have stayed out in the swamp with Norbert all day and never have been bored.

8 Thank TravelingHillbillie
Sacramento
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Skip the Champagne - go for the 'shine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2010

Look for Norbert LeBlanc - have more fun and support the underdog! He's been around a long time, knows hte swamp, and is definitely friendly, entertaining and sharing.

LeBlanc Swamp Tours