“A Thanksgiving Meal”

Copeland's of New Orleans
Ranked #60 of 541 Restaurants in Shreveport
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Copeland's of New Orleans restaurants are committed to the concept that every dish and meal is true to the culinary traditions and heritage of New Orleans, augmented by the gracious hospitality of the Copeland Family. Copeland's of New Orleans is more than a restaurant; it is the family's promise to provide you with the finest dining experience each and every visit.
Reviewed July 28, 2018

We sat in a booth towards the back. Just hubby and me. We have no family in this state and all of our friends either moved out of state of passed on. So we went to Copelands to have a nice holiday meal and hear the sounds of happy people.

We ordered the Thanksgiving plate. It was all like a pile of mushed up food. It was far and we did have a cocktail first and of course we love the biscuit. So I asked for another and the waiter seemed horrified that I would expect a second biscuit.

We talked and looked around and enjoyed being out and our waiter walked by and said, wow are you STILL here! Made me feel badly and as if we were just, well, made me feel badly. What was to be a happy day turned to a sad experience. I wish we had given him NO tip. We had planned to have some sort of special coffee, but felt that we had overstayed our never gotten welcome.

Never went back. Never ever felt so bad in a restaurant. We eat out 6 or 8 times a month and go to nice places and never ever have been made to feel as that waiter made us feel. We do not recommend this place on any level and again, we are done.

Ariel P, Guest Relations Manager at Copeland's of New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2018

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your recent visit with us.We certainly take pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction and unfortunately we did not meet your expectations as well as our own. We want our guests to feel at home when they visit Copeland's and we failed to meet our standards at your visit. At your earliest convenience, would you please reach out to me directly, apierce@alcopeland.com? Thank you again, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Reviewed July 20, 2018

Used to be such a nice place. Not so much now. Went in for all you could eat catfish but didn't realize the place was set to close in about 30 minutes. My wife and I with our 3 children sat down for dinner but quickly realized we we're almost alone save one other couple who looked to be almost finishing up. First we were actually seated by kitchen staff as our waitress was busy making placement sets for the following day and it took her almost 10 minutes to even acknowledge we were there. She finally come over to get our drink order and we also ordered our food at this time but she never returned with the drinks. She walked off, disappeared for a little bit then returned with a mop and started cleaning the floor. After a while, not really sure how long, she returned with our food. The fish tasted excellent to be honest. No complaints there but the sides were soooooo cold. After we had eaten the two pieces of fish and wanted to order more we were told that that cook had turned the fryer off and it would take a long time for it to heat back up. Obviously we were being a bother, at least that's how we felt, we just requested the ticket so we could leave and eat at Mcdonalds next door. We did finally get cokes though... After we had requested them again. Guess they we're ready to go home and one more ticket wasn't worth staying a little late for... So, Sorry we showed up late Copelands... it was an honest mistake. We try not to do that. But if ordering the all you could eat fish was a problem so late it would have been nice to be told. Would have gladly ordered something else..

2  Thank ShaneP1974
Reviewed June 18, 2018

This is some serious delicious food that will delight your taste buds. I've been there a few times and everything is really delicious. Lunch specials are a great bargain.

Reviewed March 31, 2018

We used to absolutely love Copelands which is why we stopped in for dinner. The atmosphere was awesome and our server Tray was the absolute best ever.One of us ordered the Jambalaya pasta bowl and enjoyed it. I ordered the shrimp linguine pasta bowl and it wasn't that great. The flavor was salty and I literally didn't eat it. My husband got the fried shrimp and crawfish and it was also beyond salty. The chef that night had a very heavy hand with salt which in my case made the food uneatable. We did take the red velvet and turtle cheesecake home and they were both delicious. We visit Shreveport often and it really is ashamed that we will not be back here. The food used to be mouthwatering.

1  Thank JaniceKo
Amy B, Guest Relations Manager at Copeland's of New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2018

Hello JaniceKO,
Thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback! While I am happy to hear that you had great service, I would like to sincerely apologize for the lack of culinary excellence you experienced on your recent visit to Copeland's! I would appreciate the opportunity to communicate with you further regarding your experience. At your earliest convenience, will you please reach out to me directly, abordlee@alcopeland.com? Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Reviewed March 21, 2018

I went to the buffet on Thanksgiving Day and the manager ruined what otherwise would have been a good meal and a good holiday when he refused to accept my valid gift card. After calling the corporate office and learning that although they claim gift cards do not expire, they in fact do. They fraudulently tell customers that they don't expire, but the older card that I had forgotten I had (that wasn't even too terribly old) had already gone into what they refer to as a dormant mode. After calling the corporate office and believing we had worked out the gift card issue where they verified that it would be accepted when I came in, my significant other and I returned for dinner in December. It was the worst experience I have had at any type of restaurant I can even remember. My significant other felt the same way. We arrived to a restaurant that was essentially empty. We had to wait some time for a hostess to greet us as there was no one at the hostess stand. She was busing tables and putting table cloths on tables. We were then told that it would take some time before we could be seated. It was a very cold night and we went to the bar to warm up and told them so and ordered hot coffee. We were charged a high price for it by the manager on duty. Ordinarily, when you wait for a table at Copeland's and have anything in the bar that is not finished and paid for, they will gladly offer to transfer it to your meal bill, but we were required to pay for the high price coffee, which by the way was not decaf as we had ordered. They put a pot of decaf on when we confirmed that it was decaf and they told us it was not, so we waited some time for it and payment was essentially demanded when it was brought. When we were finally seated while the restaurant was still for the most part empty, the waitress was one of the rudest I have ever encountered from the onset. She greeted us by basically telling us that service was going to be awful that evening and that we should be patient because they had a room set up with a large party coming in. She refused to refill our tea, coffee or water and eventually agreed to refill the coffee only after we had to get assertive about it. The staff members who we came into contact with were openly complaining that they had booked a party for that evening and were understaffed and therefore having to do jobs that they don't ordinarily do. Instead of maintaining good attitudes, it certainly showed in our server's performance and most of the other employees' that they were bitter about being understaffed for the party. After they brought out our entrees with no sides or bread (which was being blamed on the massive party that still had yet to arrive when this occurred), the manager on duty acted as if she was being gracious by not charging for the meager and unfilling appetizer we had ordered. We had to go back over all of the things that we had gone through (most of which she experienced, did nothing about, and did not dispute). She ultimately did not charge us for the meal as she should have agreed to do immediately. Going to Copeland's and eating your dinner without sides cannot even be considered acceptable or deserving of a dime of compensation nor was it acceptable that the waitress said they would bring the sides out once they had been prepared. Back when I spoke with the lady from the corporate office, she assured me that the district manager would want to talk with my about what occurred during Thanksgiving. He never called. I left the lady a voice mail and sent her an email to discuss what had occurred on Thanksgiving (as I had since learned the name of the manager who had treated me and my significantly other so horribly and refused to honor our valid gift card) and also to discuss what occurred during the dinner in December. I believed that he would want to know the details, but apparently he had no interest at all. The district manager never called me and the lady at the corporate office that I had spoken to before going to the dinner in December never returned my phone call or email I sent thereafter. Surprisingly, despite the horrific problems that the restaurant has, the food on their buffet at Thanksgiving was very good. We did not have enough food during the dinner in December to judge the taste of the food, but the value of the food was worthless. Since this is Louisiana and sides and biscuits/hushpuppies (which they used to bring out, but we never received), determine how the meal tastes, I could not say whether or not the food was good. Copeland's has been at the Bert Kouns location for a very long time. But considering the lack of people dining in the restaurant on what should have been a busy night during the holiday season, I would find it very hard to believe that they will continue to be able to keep that location open. Furthermore, they have recently revamped their menu and have many less offerings are are enticing persons to come to the restaurant where two can dine for a certain fixed price promotion. I cannot remember them ever having done that until having received those emails recently and I have been a customer for decades. If their restaurant is not very full during peak times and they are having to revamp a menu that has worked well for many years, I believe that signals some severe problems. If they do somehow to continue to stay in business, I would surmise it would simply be because people are accustomed to going there, but I would recommend that diners do their homework about the type of food they would like to have and make another choice. Because in my opinion, this is an extremely poor choice. After telling persons of my experiences with the restaurant and corporate office, other people reacted that the changes in the restaurant were all viewed as negative and few people I know intend to ever return. The restaurant has brought back a weekend brunch, which was for a long time very popular, and a friend said that she went and was extremely disappointed and the food which already is expensive was way overpriced. If this place was charging fast food prices, it would still be too high to spend your hard earned money at. And trust me, the prices are not cheap, but until recently I believed it was worth it.

1  Thank AndersenTraveler

Hello AndersenTraveler,
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. I certainly do apologize that your recent experience at Copeland's location was not an excellent one! Our team takes feedback like yours seriously, and we would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you further. At your earliest convenience, would you please reach out to me directly, abordlee@alcopeland.com? Thank you again, and I look forward to hearing from you!