“Very relaxing week on the quiet side of the island”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Thomas J
Lee, United States
“Very relaxing week on the quiet side of the island”
Reviewed July 3, 2017 for a stay in June 2017

Wonderful house on the quiet side of the island. Watch the tides change, birds fly around and the boats coming in and out of the harbor. Close enough to Bar Harbor to visit but away from the crowds. Southwest Harbor has some nice shops and restaurants and is only a ten minute drive. The house was very clean and the kitchen was stocked with all the spices you could ever need. Great fire place and plenty of seasoned wood to use to take the slight chill out of the air. I'm already planning my next trip to this house.

Your age range 50-64
5 Jul 2017
So glad you enjoyed your stay. It was a pleasure having you as our guests and we would be delighted to have you come again.
Chelle F
North Stonington, Connecticut
“Relaxing island house on the quiet side”
Reviewed June 19, 2017 for a stay in June 2017

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay in this charming, little island house on the quiet side. It had all the comforts needed plus plenty of wonderful sights and sounds of island life you'd expect from a hidden harbor town. The garden and deck make this location serene for beginning and ending your day in and around Acadia National Park.

We absolutely loved it!

Meerungeh...
Harrison, Arkansas
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed June 19, 2016 for a stay in June 2016

I took my mother for a trip to Maine where she's wanted to go all of her life. We certainly weren't disappointed in choosing the Little Island House! So quiet and peaceful! With such wonderful views and gracious, helpful and friendly owners, this rental was exactly what I was looking for; and so well stocked! I wish I could have reviewed this as a "4.5", instead of a "4." The ONLY thing keeping me from rating this a "5" is that we reserved the lower unit (the upper was already reserved) and my mother and I are light sleepers, and the upper floor creaks/cracks as people walk around. The real problem was that we had a somewhat different sleep schedule from those who were upstairs and they woke us up every morning earlier than we wanted. This was somewhat exacerbated by them seemingly never sitting still when they were there. That all being said, I'd still rate my experience as a 95 out of 100! I would just recommend for any really light sleepers to try and reserve the upper unit, or just be understanding and flexible with the creaking/walking sounds.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: This is too hard to narrow down!
Liked least: Creaky upper floor. Can't fault anyone for that, though.
Travelling group: Other
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
21 Jun 2016
It was so nice seeing you and your mom on the deck, or heading out to the park. Not much I can do about the sound of footsteps upstairs. It's all carpeted, but the sound does come through. Nevertheless, glad you got to show your mom Maine.
lori103
Stamford, Connecticut
“Peaceful & Relaxing”
Reviewed August 19, 2015 for a stay in August 2015

We enjoyed our stay at this house on the quiet side. The setting makes for a wonderful retreat, the beautiful garden, the water gently washing over the rocks, and views of the harbor. We stayed in the downstairs apartment, which is beautifully decorated and well-stocked from the bookshelf, to the kitchen to the bathrooms. This was the most well-stocked rental we have stayed in, it had all the essentials and a little extra, even a few refills in case things ran out. We especially enjoyed cooking with the seasoned cast iron pans and had every dish, pot, and glass we could ask for. It was also convenient to the free Acadia shuttle and close enough to ride bikes to Southwest Harbor in lieu of driving. The expansive deck was equipped with chairs and a table perfect for morning coffee and afternoon snacks and the living room fireplace was perfect for cool nights.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Daniel H
Rockville, Maryland
“If you think 3BR for $1500/week, BAIT and SWITCH”
Reviewed August 23, 2014 for a stay in August 2014
people found this review helpful

We searched for a place with 3 bedrooms, and found this house. We read how it is configured, one bedroom and two down. The writeup seems to have changed since we booked back in May, but what's going on is this. The owners have divided the house into two different properties. The rates you see are for HALF a house. The properties should be called "Little Island 2BR downstairs apartment", and "Little Island 1BR upstairs apartment."

Absolutely nothing in any of our correspondence said we were getting only half the house, the downstairs. I can't say I recommend the place. Too small. The stairs, which are permanently blocked off, take up a lot of the square footage. No microwave. No laundry. The house is surrounded by water on three sides, but even so the site feels industrial.

The owner swore nobody had made the same mistake we had in twenty years. I'm skeptical. $1500 per week for half the house might be what the market will bear, but for us it was a terrible match, a married could with two grown children of opposite gender. Once the confusion came to light, 11:00 PM when we arrived, interactions with the owners were terrible. They had a code, and stuck to it, but to me it seemed rather vicious. They refused to consider giving any discount. They ultimatum was stay the week at full price or leave by 10:00 AM with full refund, but then they got mad at us and told us we couldn't stay even if we let them keep the whole $1500. It was very "Stand Your Ground" from them. They seemed to enjoy throwing us out.

The owner should not list the two rental units this way. They are NOT offering a house. They are skimping on the listing fees by using one listing to try to rent two different properties. Unless you are just two people, and fine with small (and no microwave), and need to be on the water, you might wish to avoid.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked least: The listing suggested we would get a house.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
3 Sep 2014
I apologized for the mistaken idea these people had, but couldn't hide my amazement that they apparently did not take time to read even the first line of the website's description of our home when they made their reservation. In my 28 years here as owner of this rental, I have never had anyone make this mistake.
The main argument they made was that they would like a sizable amount of money back, and then they'd stay. After listening for a long time, I suggested they must be tired, and that we should all get some sleep and talk about it in the morning. By morning, I felt clearly that they had two options: to stay the week at the stated rate, or to leave with a full refund, having the night they'd stayed for free. The conversation the next morning was more of the same, so I simply repeated the two options and told them my husband and I would be there shortly, and that they should discuss their decision. When we arrived, they hadn't spoken of it to each other. All the draperies were closed to the beautiful Maine morning. I gave them a full refund, at which time I was told to keep my money, that they'd stay. We asked them to leave.
I am to blame in not reiterating either "The Upstairs" or "The Downstairs" apartment. As I looked back through our emails, at the many questions they asked about the area, I should have realized they had not read my website, which would have answered all those questions, and of course would have eliminated any misunderstanding.
A couple of corrections: the door at the top of the stairs is doubled when the apartments are rented separately, but opens up when people rent the whole house. Also, there is a microwave behind the fridge.
melissa g
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Better than my dreams”
Reviewed August 5, 2014 for a stay in July 2014

I first saw this lovely cottage in 2012, when my husband and I were traveling in our RV and staying in a campground just outside Acadia. We found it totally by accident, just exploring. It looked so lovely, with its gray shingles and beautiful cottage garden - and the setting! Right there ON Bass Harbor. Literally, right on it. I said to my husband, "I want to stay there someday." Well we did. We stayed in the upstairs unit and our friends stayed in the downstairs unit. The cottage is SO well-appointed - the upstairs kitchen is large, with modern appliances and everything you'd ever need. It's open and spacious, with a giant stone fireplace. Furniture is very comfortable and so was the bed - and that isn't always the case with rental cottages! But the views are the best - in every direction through the huge windows, and from the wrap-around deck. We watched the lobstermen go out in the morning and the sun set in the evening. We took the Gott excursion boat that leaves right from the dock that runs alongside - well worth it! It was a glorious, wonderful week in the nicest cottage I've ever stayed in. It far exceeded my expectations.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Everything. Okay - the setting, the view, the comfort.
Liked least: Bedroom up the stairs and bath on the floor below - that's a little awkward but didn't negatively affect us.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
QC, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2013 for a stay in July 2013

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing