“Special inn with outstanding service!”
Review of Blue Hill Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Blue Hill
Blue Hill Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Blue Hill B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I stayed at The Blue Hill Inn in the Cape House Suite over Thanksgiving. It was immaculate, light, and airy. The kitchen was stocked with breakfast items, snacks, and coffees/teas based on my personal preferences. When I made the reservation, the innkeeper, Sara, inquired about my eating likes/dislikes and stocked the pantry and fridge accordingly. I specifically booked the Suite because of the large, wood-burning fireplace. Knowing the fireplace was important to me, Sara made certain I always had an ample supply of firewood throughout my stay - even on Thanksgiving day. Sara is an exceptional host/owner and the Blue Hill Inn is a treasure. As a frequent traveler, I rate this property at the top of my list based on the property itself and the exceptional service. I will definitely return. And, during the winter, it is a real bargain with the "stay 3 nights for the price of 2" deal - at the off-season rate! Next to the fireplace, my favorite feature was the large, "soaking" tub in the large bathroom. This is truly a property worth trying!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Traveler6754

Reviewed 20 October 2011

We booked for three nights and only stayed one. Usually, when that happens, something went dramatically wrong and the customers storm off in a huff. That definitely was not true in this instance.
To backtrack, we booked a three-night stay in the suite for Columbus Day weekend. However, after settling in, I noticed a musty smell that was really annoying. (We assumed it was from a recently lighted fire). An air freshener didn't help. So I asked the owner, Sarah, if it would be possible to move to a different room. She couldn't oblige, because the inn was full.
And this is when Sarah excelled. She offered to call around to see if another room could be found for the night. Consider for a moment that would have cost her a substantial amount of money. I refused, in part because her gesture was so grand. I also was hopeful that things would improve in the room.
They didn't, and the next morning, we informed her that we had to leave. She not only waived the remaining room fee, but after I wanted to purchase some preserves she had for sale, she gave them to me gratis.
What I can also say was that the breakfast was excellent, and the rooms we saw in the main house (the suite is next door) were charming. I assume our problem was a fluke, and if only for the experience of staying with Sarah, a most gracious hostess, you should definitely consider the Blue Hill Inn if you are in the area.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Exscribe
Reviewed 20 October 2011

You are pampered here at the Inn. Sara is a wonderful Innkeeper with an attention to pampering: appetizers before dinner, sweets after dinner and all homemade! Dinners at the inn are better than the breakfast. Beds are a bit uncomfortable and the floors and stairs uneven but the hospitality is worth it. We got a granola/yogurt/banana bread/chocolate breakfast to go when we were leaving early for hiking and would miss breakfast. Nice touch. Inn is walking distance to arborvine restaurant. Great food but a bit pricey.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank SCBerry
Reviewed 17 October 2011

We had a great room and food. The Blue Hill Inn is grand - from the rooms to the service in the breakfast room. The room staff is invisible - our room was made up while we were at breakfast. The breakfast area is a grand restaurant for the evening meal.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the rear of the inn.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Enjoyed meeting the host/owners and several of the other guests over wine and hors d'oeuvres. Attractive historic inn. Only two caveats- rooms in front of inn had a lot of traffic noise- also we were surprised to be charged $8 per glass of wine after having been "invited" to partake.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Blue Hill Inn in Blue Hill, Maine for 5 nights and could not have been more pleased. From the gracious, helpful staff, to their meticulous attention to detail, the comfortable beds, and of course, the FOOD - it was a fantastic experience. We ate at the best restaurants in the Blue Hill area and were delighted to find, on our last night, when we ate at the Blue Hill Inn, htat it was by far the best. The breakfasts are to die for, and the dinner is nothing short of superb. Inventive and fresh cuisine, and a hospitable staff, with well appointed rooms and comfortable common areas make this a memorable stay in Blue Hill.

Ellen Lutz

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jim60795
Reviewed 29 July 2011

My wife and I spent a lovely weekend in Blue Hill, Maine at the Blue Hill Inn. The inn was charming, the inn keeper was personable and the other guests were friendly and interesting. Our room (#7) was on the small side but well appointed, air conditioned, quiet, and very clean. The dining roomand food were fabulous. The town of Blue Hill is very low key compared to other seaside towns in Maine like Ogunquit or Bar Harbor. Dinner at the Boatyard Bar and Grill was lots of fun. We brought our own kayaks and kayaked in the tranquill bay, out around the islands and the moored boats, and the seals. We also took a day trip down to Stonington, about 20 miles south, and kayaked out of the working harbor there to the many many islands just off shore. We also did a 20 mile bike ride out of Stonington, which was a little precarious, as the roads were curvy, hilly and had no shoulders. The side roads (some dirt) down to the various coves were much better, and much more scenic.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
17.9 km away
The Manor Inn
The Manor Inn
#3 of 3 in Castine

Been to Blue Hill Inn? Share your experiences!