All reviews bald eagles the river b and b the main house walking path wonderful bed and breakfast french toast campobello island cookies cynthia nest bedroom maine diners antiques hostess miles
Reviewed April 8, 2018

We found ourselves back in Machias for a family funeral and luckily happened upon the Riverside Inn. Cynthia, the innkeeper, not only graciously found a solution where my daughter could sleep (as it turns out in her office!), she fed us fantastic breakfasts and a wonderful dinner. She is great company and her dog, Bartie, is a fun addition. In a part of the world where things skew to the basic, this is a lovely place with a great hostess.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank marymdc
Cynthia M, Owner at Riverside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2018

Thank you for the gracious review. A great stay begins with great guests. Please come by the next time you find yourself Downeast.

Reviewed October 18, 2017

After a very long journey from Boston to Machias, it was a welcome relief to find ourselves greeted so warmly as we entered a delightful kitchen and told to go ahead and get settled in our room. It was all about making sure we were comfortable versus getting our credit card.

The atmospheric Mrs.Eliott room was waiting for us with lights on, cookies, wine glasses & complimentary bottled water. The decor was true to the period of the inn and the beds were very comfortable. The bathroom had bath salts, great towels, and a coffee pot with teas & coffee to pour into these lovely antique tea cups & saucers. I could have hosted my book club in the bathroom as it was that large. I felt like I was visiting a friend or family member versus feeling like a guest in an inn.

We were late arrivals that first evening and the kitchen had closed. Cynthia, the inn's intrepid owner, sat us in the romantic & intimate restaurant requesting the talented chef whip us up a delicious meal. Tania, server extraordinaire, made the experience delightful. She had already ended her evening but one would have never known we were last minute diners by how she made us feel. It wasn't until we were well fed that Cynthia let us settle our bill for our two-night stay.

We enjoyed a glass of vino and chocolate on our second night in her cute "lounge." It was a treat to have another place to go for wine and/or appetizers.

She has managed to create alternate environments in an old historic home. One gets the feeling Cynthia took all of her best travel experiences and created a space encompassing all of them.

I felt sad saying goodbye and truly appreciate her discretion in not once mentioning I may have taken the roof down with my remarkable snoring.

If you find yourself in beautiful Machias, this is the place to rest your head and be made to feel like you are the most important guest amongst all.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
CynthiatheInnkeeper, Owner at Riverside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2017

What a wonderful review. THANK YOU for noticing all that I try to do for my guests. I was pleased to be able to share this with Tanya and Nigel, who may have winced but not once complained when we re-opened the kitchen for you. Then they both went above and beyond! I am twice blessed with great staff and delightful guests.

I think you are exactly right, I have taken a little from all my travels and rolled it into the Riverside Inn. I hope you can do the same someday and a part of your time at the Inn lives on.

Reviewed September 12, 2017 via mobile

Best place I've eva stayed the owner was awesome upgraded me to the nicest room with the best views and the breakfast was 5 stars i would recommend that u bypass the rest of the run of the mill hotels in this area and book your stay rite here..

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank scott l
CynthiatheInnkeeper, Owner at Riverside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2017

You are welcome here anytime...looking forward to your next anniversary stay (so is your wife, but she doesn't know it yet!) Thank you for the review. Great guest!

Reviewed August 21, 2017

We had an the pleasure of taste testing appetizers and drinks in the new bar area of the Riverside Inn. The owner, Cynthia, is such a great person and made us feel so welcome! She is an outstanding chef and know she will be a huge success. The outside decks, sitting and garden areas are perfect for ending a busy day. The view of the river is relaxing and the wildlife beautiful. Don't pass up the chance to stop here to relax!

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
CynthiatheInnkeeper, Owner at Riverside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2017

Thank you for staying at the Riverside Inn and sharing your experience. The patio is a wonderful addition to an already memorable stay, but the weather won't hold out for long. For that reason, I have done a bit of rearranging inside the Inn and can now offer a Club Room for those appetizers and drinks! In addition, the twelve seat restaurant (Vue) is about to debut. You'll definitely have to make another trip up!

Reviewed August 7, 2017

We checked into two rooms in the main house early in the afternoon. Everything was perfect in the bedrooms; comfortable beds, nice bathroom and water and cookies. The location was excellent as we spent the afternoon and into the evening on the patio overlooking the river. A nest of bald eagles with one baby was just down the path. Cynthia is a wonderful hostess and we were able to be part of her her soft opening of the bar and enjoyed wine and excellent appetizers. In fact, we enjoyed enough that we did not need to go out to dinner! Breakfast offered many choices and was more than enough to hold us until a late lunch. We will be back.

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Lane W
CynthiatheInnkeeper, Owner at Riverside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2017

It was my pleasure to host you at the Inn and the opening of Vue! You are welcome anytime.