FindHotel
Destinia.com
Trip.com
Hotels.com
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed October 18, 2019 via mobile

When planning our trip to Maine I wanted a hotel/motel that was close to Bar Harbor & Acadia, pet friendly (very fair $10 per night pet fee) and wouldn't break the bank and Colonial Inn checked all the boxes. We checked in last Sunday and were greeted by a very friendly woman at the front desk, within minutes of arriving she had me checked in and handed me a map showing our room location on the side of the building by the Elks Lodge, explaining we were in one of the "budget" rooms. I was initially a bit concerned but as we pulled up in front of our room I could see that they opened up onto a communal porch and was close by the wooded area (great for puppy potty breaks) and bonus points for not having to worry about having "heavy steppers" above us. The room was small but clean and seemed to have been updated recently and the mini fridge was one of the nicer ones that has a separate door for the freezer. The only faults I found with the room were that other than several coat hooks, there is nowhere to hang your clothes and the toilet seat kept coming loose. Although we never needed housekeeping she did check in to see if we needed anything and someone was always available in the building. Ice machines were just off of the main lobby but not terribly far from our room, #144, plus the freezer had it's own mini ice tray and a microwave in the room allowed us to enjoy our many leftovers. The beds were a tiny bit too firm for me but hubby loved them and it was nice to have a storm door to allow in light and fresh air, especially considering how nice the weather was and it was so quiet, never even heard other guests even though they were on both sides of us. Never got a chance to get in the pool but I did check it out and it was really big and the perfect temperature for a quick dip. The main building even had a vending machine filled with heat/eat & go foods in addition to snack and soda machines and there is a restaurant attached to the hotel that seemed quite popular. About 20 minutes from Bar Harbor and lots of restaurant options within a mile made this a perfect fit for us and fine for short stays but when we return next fall for a week we'll opt for a larger room.

Date of stay: October 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Colonial2015, Manager at Colonial Inn Ellsworth By Magnuson Worldwide, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2019

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again next year.

Reviewed October 12, 2019 via mobile

We booked this at the last minute to fill in the gap between resort stays. Our room had been recently remodeled (except the tub/shower...which is radio to be replaced but worked fine). The beds are comfy, New carpet, marble top vanity, parked just outside the sliding patio doors so loading/unloading was easy!
We didn't use the heated indoor pool or the laundry but both were very nice...impressive, actually.
The coffee was excellent! Every staff member we interacted with were friendly and Hemphill. No complaints from our crew.

Date of stay: October 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Colonial2015, Front Office Manager at Colonial Inn Ellsworth By Magnuson Worldwide, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2019

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are happy to hear that you had a good stay with us and we hope to see you return on your next visit to Acadia.

Reviewed September 9, 2019

Stopped at the Colonial Inn last year on a planned trip last year, so this year we used it for a last-minute visit to Mount Desert Island nearby. It's really convenient, and the staff is cordial and helpful. Since last time we stayed, they have included free grab-and-go breakfast items, and the lobby coffee is good; certainly enough to get you moving for the day. We got a recently-renovated room, and the mattress was excellent. This time we also had time for fun using the pool, unlike last time.

Date of stay: September 2019

Thank you for this wonderful review. We are glad to hear you had a good stay with us and were able to use the pool on this visit. The staff love to see returning guests, we hope to see you again next year.

Reviewed September 1, 2019

I just needed a cheap place to stay while traveling through, and it was getting dark when I rolled into Ellsworth. The desk man was pleasant, and put me in a room in the Annex, behind the main hotel.

Upon driving around the back, I was met by a scruffy looking dude drawing a drag on his cigarette while sitting on the tailgate of his company truck. My next door neighbor. Probable just a working stiff on a job, but it was a little creepy.

The room is accessed from the hallway inside. The door sticks and had to be forced open and shut. Above the bed are hooks where a picture used to be. Around the walls are drill holes and plaster patches where other stuff used to be. The carpet is worn and stained.

There's a sliding door leading to the parking lot. After several attempts to open it I realized that the lock is non-functioning. The door is secured by means of a hunk of PVC pipe lying in the rail.

I slept with my pistol within arms reach.

Date of stay: August 2019
Escape39061622249, Owner at Colonial Inn Ellsworth By Magnuson Worldwide, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2019

We are sorry that your stay at the Colonial was not up to your expectations. We are a family run business; we assumed ownership a year ago and have been gradually making improvements and renovating the rooms. Regrettably, you were assigned a room in need of work and we apologize for that. We hope that you will try us again should you find yourself travelig through Ellsworth in the future.

Reviewed August 20, 2019 via mobile

We didn’t like anything about this place, it was disgusting. It said no smoking yet it had cigarette burns in the flooring & wreaked of smoke, the smell was horrible. Other things that we disliked was the bed was broken & not on the frame properly so it fell in the middle of the night, noisy a/c unit, exposed fiberglass insulation, dingy & dated 1970 decor, filthy stained mattress, old thin tattered blankets, stained & disgusting carpeting, (afraid to take our shoes off), the stairs to 2nd floor were crooked like a funhouse, outside steps were about 10” & dangerous to navigate, (def not up to code), people fighting in the room next door, unfriendly & unhelpful staff. Not to mention the outrageous price. I couldn’t believe they can even charge people to stay here, it should be the other way around. I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy.

Date of stay: August 2019