Spencer Pond Camps
Moose Mountain Inn(Greenville)(Great Value!)
US$139
US$129
Kineo View Lodge(Greenville)(Great Value!)
US$119
US$108
US$32
Hotels.com
Lodge at Moosehead Lake(Greenville)
US$349
Official Site
US$95
Herbert Grand Hotel(Kingfield)(Great Value!)
US$79
US$77
Sugarloaf Inn(Carrabassett Valley)
US$89
Orbitz.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewshand pumppumping waterbald eagleshiking trailsrustic experiencewonderful tripgreat fishinga special placechristywildlifesimplicitycabinrabbitsroadslampsshoreglow
Reviewed January 20, 2012

I certainly understand that this place is "rustic" but "dangerous" wasn't anywhere on the website. The cabins were fine, clean enough, etc. etc. but my trip was skewed by one major incident: the dock in front of our cabin actually BROKE. My friend and I went out on the dock at night to watch the stars and meteor shower when my foot busted THROUGH the wood and I fell head first into the canoe next to the dock and rolled, fully clothed, into the water. At which point one of the owners came out to tell us it was "quiet time." I had to let my friend deal with her because I was soaked to the bone and ready to rage.

The other owner came out the next morning to take a look and said, "we were hoping to get one more season out of that dock." Oh really? So this means they were very aware this dock was old and unsafe. Negligence doesn't even begin to cover it.

THEN to add insult to injury, my friend and I were late checking out becuase we were doing dishes and cleaning up and when we went to pay the bill, they had the NERVE to charge us a late check out fee. Not only did they offer me NOTHING in return for my scraped up leg and banged head (I really could have been seriously injured), they were trying to milk us out of more money because we were a half hour late checking out. I did my best to stay calm (for the sake of my friend, otherwise I would have laid into these slum lords) and they did end up taking off the late check out charge.

Oh and let's not forget a major point left out of the website - the pond is riddled with leaches so you can't swim.

So let's recap, shall we?

1) Dock BROKE, could have been seriously injured (and I did hurt my leg/head)
2) Was not offered any form of compensation - THEY NEVER EVEN SAID 'SORRY'
3) They attempted to charge us for a late check out
4) Cannot swim in the pond unless you want to donate blood to the suckers

I was so disappointed. I'm from Maine. I'm rural. I love my home state. But bad business is bad business. Do your research if you're thinking of staying here. Be very careful if you're bringing your kids.

Let's just say I won't be back - without my lawyer. Or a peg leg.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank Kimberly T
SpencerPondCamps, Guest Relations Manager at Spencer Pond Camps, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2012

It is unfortunate this is the perception and opinions that this guest left with, we did offer our apologies, and will do so again here publicly. The facts are the cabins are currently undergoing a restoration, two of the cabins are complete, and three new docks have been built, the remaining docks are scheduled to be replaced in 2012 and I am sure that was conveyed to these guests,. These are historic sporting camps, set deep in the North Woods of Maine. I will let potential guests come to their own conclusions based on this and other reviews but as with anything old and authentically historic or antique, it does wear out eventually, even with regular maintenance. It will wear out faster if it is put through rigorous, repetitive motions or not used gently or used in a fashion it was not intended for. We make every attempt to be proactive with our maintenance. We do indeed have leeches in the ponds, they tend to frequent the rocky shallow weedy areas, as they do every pond in Maine. Despite the marketing suggestion for our website, it probably isn’t the best marketing idea to highlight it on our website in bold lettering, but we are VERY honest about it and will think about adding it to our FAQ list, along with the information about black flies and our outhouses which is already included. These cabins are authentic, extremely remote (14 miles via dirt roads to our closest neighbors), and set deep in the heart of Maine's North Woods on a pristine and undeveloped pond with absolutely no amenities other than everything we provide onsite. We want our guests to be well informed when they arrive, We do tell guests where the best swimming areas are & make sure to advise those that are swimming to avoid the weedy areas. Most of our guests have no concerns and enjoy their vacation swimming in the pond! For those interested, there is some great information to dispel many of the myths on leeches from the Maine Department of Environmental Protection. For parents who are considering bringing their children & their safety, please know our two young daughters are currently being raised at the camps, and creating family friendly atmosphere is our highest priority. Our little girls are among the hundreds of children who cherish their time at Spencer Pond and return with their parents each year to create lasting and fond memories. We pride ourselves on our FAMILY focused environment and our policies, such as the 10pm quiet time and zero tolerance for drugs and alcohol outside the cabins reflect that purposefully.

Reviewed September 26, 2011

Really enjoyed our stay. This is a place for people who want peace, quiet, and rustic. Stellar location.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MidcoastJames
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Spent three nights and had a wonderful time. Very beautiful and peaceful location. Serene. Owners friendly, helpful. gracious and hardworking. Cabin very clean, and very cozy. Cabins are rustic- but equipped with everything you need: well-equipped kitchen with gas stove and fridge and lights and hand pumped water at the sink, books and games. Beds so very comfy! Little wood stove kept the cabin cozy. Great hiking, fishing, swimming, canoeing, kayaking right outside your door.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Spencer Pond Camps is a very very special place. If you enjoy quiet walks, canoeing on an undeveloped large pond with the chance to see wildlife in their natural setting, being off the grid, gardens, wandering chickens, leaving your car behind, etc. then this is the place for you. We'll be back!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2011

A friend and I only spent one night at the camp - and it rained the whole time - but the camp was dry and warm, propane lights, and everything you'd need. The camp and outhouse was very clean and nice. This place is off the beaten path and has hiking, canoeing and kayaking right there. The screened in porch (with view) elimated any bug problem and it was quiet and peaceful. The owners were helpful and it's a great place for families.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends