“Spencer Pond Camps ... A Dream Come True”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Spencer Pond Camps

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Greenville
Spencer Pond Camps
GreenLeadersGold level
Orland, Maine
“Spencer Pond Camps ... A Dream Come True”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

There is no place like Spencer Pond Camps. My husband and I had been searching for years. Over the years we had camped with the kids and family, and now that the kids are on there own, we wanted to get away without the hastle of the camper or a tent. We always have enjoyed the campgrounds with NO generators, there are none now! To book a cabin we found only places that were geared toward tourists with all the ammenities. So, we had all but given up. Until, we found Spencer Pond Camps!

Our stay was everything we dreamed it would be. 1) Quiet, peaceful, clean and "homey". 2)The owners were very helful and friendly. 3) The pond is absolutely beautiful, you cannot see another structure ... no people, no camps, no stores, no vehicles. What you will see ... deer feeding on the opposite side of the pond, moose wading along the shore, a bald eagle flying overhead, and the majestic view of the mountains. 4) The water is beautiful and clear and I never saw anything but fish but If you are going to swim and are scared of leaches (which by the way, are in every pond in Maine) rent a room at the marriot and swim in the pool. 5) The fishing was great, we use the canoe, the owners graciously did not charge us for, and paddled in the sunset AND caught 3 trout! We also caught some off the dock. 6) I normally would rather use the woods than an outhouse, but the outhouse was incredibly clean. Each cabin comes with its own privy and the owners cleaned it every day! Well, actually I don't know who cleaned, because we never saw anyone, it was just magically clean. No smell what so ever. Amazing. 7) We were celebrating our 25 wedding anniversary and so privacy was what we wanted when we booked, and we got it!

Absolutely wonderful. We ARE going back this year to celebrate our 26th!

We had such a great time, our kids have asked for a certificate for christmas so they can go with their spouses.

I do not recommend choosing Spencer Camps if you are:
Affraid of Deer, Moose, Fish or Leaches
Affraid of tripping on a stump
Affraid of birds or bird poop
Affraid of being without technology
Affraid to drive on a road for over an hour and not see a vehicle or a building

For the rest of us...an unbelievable experience. We are blessed to have a place in this crazy world where we can still go and enjoy nature, and each other!

Karen and Don Lanpher

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Karen L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

I certainly understand that this place is "rustic" but "dangerous" wasn't anywhere on the website. The cabins were fine, clean enough, etc. etc. but my trip was skewed by one major incident: the dock in front of our cabin actually BROKE. My friend and I went out on the dock at night to watch the stars and meteor shower when my foot busted THROUGH the wood and I fell head first into the canoe next to the dock and rolled, fully clothed, into the water. At which point one of the owners came out to tell us it was "quiet time." I had to let my friend deal with her because I was soaked to the bone and ready to rage.

The other owner came out the next morning to take a look and said, "we were hoping to get one more season out of that dock." Oh really? So this means they were very aware this dock was old and unsafe. Negligence doesn't even begin to cover it.

THEN to add insult to injury, my friend and I were late checking out becuase we were doing dishes and cleaning up and when we went to pay the bill, they had the NERVE to charge us a late check out fee. Not only did they offer me NOTHING in return for my scraped up leg and banged head (I really could have been seriously injured), they were trying to milk us out of more money because we were a half hour late checking out. I did my best to stay calm (for the sake of my friend, otherwise I would have laid into these slum lords) and they did end up taking off the late check out charge.

Oh and let's not forget a major point left out of the website - the pond is riddled with leaches so you can't swim.

So let's recap, shall we?

1) Dock BROKE, could have been seriously injured (and I did hurt my leg/head)
2) Was not offered any form of compensation - THEY NEVER EVEN SAID 'SORRY'
3) They attempted to charge us for a late check out
4) Cannot swim in the pond unless you want to donate blood to the suckers

I was so disappointed. I'm from Maine. I'm rural. I love my home state. But bad business is bad business. Do your research if you're thinking of staying here. Be very careful if you're bringing your kids.

Let's just say I won't be back - without my lawyer. Or a peg leg.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Kimberly T
SpencerPondCamps, Guest Relations Manager at Spencer Pond Camps, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
It is unfortunate this is the perception and opinions that this guest left with, we did offer our apologies, and will do so again here publicly. The facts are the cabins are currently undergoing a restoration, two of the cabins are complete, and three new docks have been built, the remaining docks are scheduled to be replaced in 2012 and I am sure that was conveyed to these guests,. These are historic sporting camps, set deep in the North Woods of Maine. I will let potential guests come to their own conclusions based on this and other reviews but as with anything old and authentically historic or antique, it does wear out eventually, even with regular maintenance. It will wear out faster if it is put through rigorous, repetitive motions or not used gently or used in a fashion it was not intended for. We make every attempt to be proactive with our maintenance. We do indeed have leeches in the ponds, they tend to frequent the rocky shallow weedy areas, as they do every pond in Maine. Despite the marketing suggestion for our website, it probably isn’t the best marketing idea to highlight it on our website in bold lettering, but we are VERY honest about it and will think about adding it to our FAQ list, along with the information about black flies and our outhouses which is already included. These cabins are authentic, extremely remote (14 miles via dirt roads to our closest neighbors), and set deep in the heart of Maine's North Woods on a pristine and undeveloped pond with absolutely no amenities other than everything we provide onsite. We want our guests to be well informed when they arrive, We do tell guests where the best swimming areas are & make sure to advise those that are swimming to avoid the weedy areas. Most of our guests have no concerns and enjoy their vacation swimming in the pond! For those interested, there is some great information to dispel many of the myths on leeches from the Maine Department of Environmental Protection. For parents who are considering bringing their children & their safety, please know our two young daughters are currently being raised at the camps, and creating family friendly atmosphere is our highest priority. Our little girls are among the hundreds of children who cherish their time at Spencer Pond and return with their parents each year to create lasting and fond memories. We pride ourselves on our FAMILY focused environment and our policies, such as the 10pm quiet time and zero tolerance for drugs and alcohol outside the cabins reflect that purposefully.
Hope, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

Really enjoyed our stay. This is a place for people who want peace, quiet, and rustic. Stellar location.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MidcoastJames
Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

Spent three nights and had a wonderful time. Very beautiful and peaceful location. Serene. Owners friendly, helpful. gracious and hardworking. Cabin very clean, and very cozy. Cabins are rustic- but equipped with everything you need: well-equipped kitchen with gas stove and fridge and lights and hand pumped water at the sink, books and games. Beds so very comfy! Little wood stove kept the cabin cozy. Great hiking, fishing, swimming, canoeing, kayaking right outside your door.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

Spencer Pond Camps is a very very special place. If you enjoy quiet walks, canoeing on an undeveloped large pond with the chance to see wildlife in their natural setting, being off the grid, gardens, wandering chickens, leaving your car behind, etc. then this is the place for you. We'll be back!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Boothbay, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

A friend and I only spent one night at the camp - and it rained the whole time - but the camp was dry and warm, propane lights, and everything you'd need. The camp and outhouse was very clean and nice. This place is off the beaten path and has hiking, canoeing and kayaking right there. The screened in porch (with view) elimated any bug problem and it was quiet and peaceful. The owners were helpful and it's a great place for families.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Gorham, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

We hadn't even been at Spencer Pond for a full day when we'd already decided that we'd be back next summer -- this time, for a week. It was clear that four days wouldn't be enough time here!
We stayed at the Moose cabin & enjoyed the swing on the screened in porch more than anything, I think. Lucky the cat was a companionable visitor and the kids loved the "chicken parade!" when the hens & rooster would stroll through the lawn.
It's a very special place and the love that Christy & Dana have for it shines through. They are excellent hosts & we loved our stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenville
24.5 km away
27.8 km away
Maynard's-in-Maine
Maynard's-in-Maine
#1 of 2 in Rockwood

Been to Spencer Pond Camps? Share your experiences!