All reviews wood stove groomed trails xc ski cross country skiing wool blankets your luggage cozy cabin amc sauna snow winter camp wilderness matt lodge pond grid
Selected filters
Reviewed March 2, 2020

I'm back to write a second review because I just cannot get enough of this place! My dog and I went back for a second year. I plan my weekends around my dog and plan activities where he can tag along. I love that Little Lyford is dog friendly. It makes it so much easier to get off the grid in comfort vs back country camping trips. Shout out to Tiffany for being an awesome host and Shannon for the unreal food! (I mean huevos rancheros for breakfast and tiramisu with dinner ugh I think I died and went to heaven)

Room tip: If you're bringing a dog you have to request one of the dog friendly cabins.
Reviewed February 26, 2020

All of the staff were very friendly and very helpful! The main lodge is quite cozy, even when completely filled with guests. Fantastic way to get off the grid for a couple days and leave electronics behind. There is generally no cell service anyway. The location is stunning in the winter with snow and the xc ski trails are very well maintained in the area.

Reviewed February 9, 2020

Throwback. A tradition of old backwoods Maine sporting camps is given new life by the Appalachian Mountain Club. We loved, loved, loved the simple, off-the-grid rustic cabins and lodge here. A 6+ mile ski from the Winter Parking Lot, it is soooo nice to arrive and find your luggage already sledged in and waiting. To be ushered to your cozy cabin, already warmed by a wood stove, and bunks adorned with warm wool blankets. Old gas lamps in the cabin cast a warm old-timey glow on the log walls. Charmingly rustic. (Rookie mistake though: We left the lamps on too long - 4 hours? and set off the CO detectors. Perhaps add this to the very easy to follow instruction manual?) We borrowed snowshoes and walked across Lyford Pond, enjoyed the sauna, used the showers, and gorged on a delicious camp dinner and breakfast. They even prepped bag lunches for our ski off to the next lodge. We skied on beautifully groomed trails the staff maintains daily. Touring in these AMC Maine camps in the 100 acre wilderness near Greenville Maine is a must for all lovers of cross country skiing. Highly recommend! Matt and his staff are tremendously welcoming, friendly, knowledgeable pros.

Reviewed August 24, 2019

If you need to get away from the hustle and bustle, Little Lyford can’t be beat. Miles of hiking (including the spectacular Gulf Hagas), fishing, swimming in a number of nearby ponds and lakes, campfires at night, and fabulous food! You will not go hungry during your stay! Cabins were clean and comfortable for sleeping. Staff was helpful and friendly. We’d been there in the winter 20 years ago, before AMC owned it and were afraid it might not have the same appeal. We were wrong - AMC did a great job keeping the rustic charm while adding a few comforts like hot showers. Glad we went back!

Date of stay: August 2019
Reviewed August 2, 2019 via mobile

A historic lodge and camps in the Maine woods with two beautiful ponds and much to do this place is a must visit for those heading to the north Maine woods. Book online and drive in from Katahdin Iron Works or Greenville, pay the fee for the forest and spend a night or a week at Little Lyford.

I grew up at this camp in the 1980s and it has been improved and changed by the AMC, but mist remains historic and the same. A rustic kind of feel to the cabins we stayed in Mountain View. We walked to the nearby stream and ponds. Bring bug repellant. Cables are available and breakfast and dinner is served with a packed lunch. Great for kids and families. It is BYOB so plan ahead. There are some other light drinks you can buy.

Date of stay: August 2019