New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Best location on moosehead” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casey's Spencer Bay Camps

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Greenville
Casey's Spencer Bay Camps
boston, ma
“Best location on moosehead”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2010

Our family has been going to casey's since the 90's. We usually rent a cabin and have a large group, some of us also rent a tent site. The owners have always been nice and we've never had any issues. The camps are very rustic, but comfortable and things work. There's plenty to do if you like the outdoors and there's a great beach nearby, tons of wildlife and the marina is good for boats.
Reading the other reviews I do know that the owners don't tolerate anyone who is disturbing others and run a nice and quiet family campground. None of us have ever had (or heard of people having) a negative experience with the owners. This is a great place for kids and a great way to disconnect from it all and to just relax.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank big_ribbit

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2010

This place was very nice. A little bit of a bumpy ride in for my class A motor home. Take it slow!
The Owners wife is very nice. The owner is a little grumpy and should just stay away from the customers. (made a comment to my kids about their dog, who barely ever barks) just unnecessary and uncalled for.
Video of park can be found here.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank RVSULLY
Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2009

We have camped at Casey's for a several years. One year we didn't make it up there and the kids gave us grief all year long about it. It is my favorite place to be. It is quiet. Sites are large and not piled on top of each other. There is no list of activities through the day, in fact no organized activities at all, AMEN! Yes, my children ride their bikes, swim, skip stones, feed ducks, visit Sarah at the store with all of their change (she is a patient woman), lay on the warm rocks of pebble beach with our dog, go for the occasional boat ride, hike Mt. Kineo, go moose hunting down the logging roads, roast marshmallows, play board games, fish--so if that is not enough for your family and kids then this is not the campground or you. The view is to die for. I have not been to any other campground that has the same view. We love the fact that we don't have electricity all day. Yes, the driveway is long--you are heading into the woods. We look forward to turning into that long dirt road--that means peace, simple enjoyment and a wonderful week is right up ahead.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2009

If you want to experience the beauty of the Maine woods, this is where you do it! There are great sites for campers, tents and RVs. The campground is on a point with water on both sides. it is a great place to get away from it all. The owners are wonderful, and really are accomodating. From what I have seen of other reviews, the people who don't like it should either stay in a hotel with room service or just follow the rules which are very simple. The rules are all about being considerate of other campers and taking care of a beautiful place in order to keep it that way, nothing more. The store has pretty much everything you would need that you forgot to bring, in addition to ice for your cooler and wood for your fire. We go at least once a year and try to go back more, but every time I go, no matter how long it's been, I walk into the store and say hi to Sara and she responds with a hello, Susan. I am amazed with all the campers they have every summmer that she remembers my name. She is always very helpful and is very nice to my kids who make repeated trips to the store for candy, ice, or fishing lures. They come around twice a day and pick up your garbage right at your campsite, and every time I go, the sites are clean and freshly raked. They key about this place is they try to make sure it is as unspoiled by people as possbile. There are trees around every site and they are spaced out well. I've been to so many places where you feel like you're eating dinner with your neighbors. We have many fond memories of family trips here and we will continue to go back every year.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

We return to Casey's every August because this is such a rare and beautiful experience. Casey and Sarah go to great lengths to keep their property looking beautiful and pristine. A earlier reviewer mentioned broken windows in the cabins and I wonder why they would say such a thing. My husband and I return numerous times each year staying in cabins and on campsites and each are kept perfect and ready for use. Our children consider Casey's their perfect traditional vacation spot. All you need do is respect the property as you would any beautiful spot as well as respect your fellow vacationers. This is a destination for you if you want the peace to hear loons calling at night and the respect of your fellow travelers enough to feel safe and secure. Casey's marina is perfect for your boat and there is no better sailing ground on any other lake in Maine.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2009

I read the reviews before we went so I was a little unsure. We only stayed one night and had to be in overflow between the marina and a cottage. The view toward the marina was nice but it was very junky behind us - several shacks and recycling I think that was piled up. We also felt like we got nickeled and dimed. Paid for 2 adults and then $5 each for 4 more people so it was $55 a night which seemed like a lot especially for that spot. Then $1 showers and it said visitors had to pay and I think you even had to pay $4 for a dog if you brought one. The 6 mile long dirt road made you not want to explore other places because you'd have to go back on it. On the positive side Sarah let us use her cell to call friends because we didn't have cell service, there's a nice beach you can walk to about 10 minutes away and if you were lucky enough to get one of the few sites on the water they looked very nice.

Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Lancaster, NH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2009

We have been going to Casey's to camp out for years. We started in a tent and graduated to a pop-up. There is no other campground like Casey's and we use Casey's as an example by which all other campgrounds are measured. We always say we are going to try to go somewhere else but we always go back to Casey's. The scenery is spectacular. We have had to book campgrounds when my son is traveling to play baseball and most of the places are RV parks with no woods or they are so packed together that it is not enjoyable. You do not go to Casey's if you are interested in or used to RV parks. Casey's generators run from 7-10 in the morning and at night so you have to plan your day accordingly. We started coming to Casey's for the simple fact that they had a store with ice and a few groceries so we did not have to run into Greenville every day to get ice. You can also rent small boats at Casey's which at other campgrounds, we had to pay a lot of money to rent the bigger boats or had to go 45 minutes on the other side of the lake to rent the boats. This year I went up to Casey's by myself and rented one of the older cabins. I have to admit that I was a little leery of it since we had always camped and I didn't know what the condition of the cabin was in. I had also read some of the horrible reviews about the cabins with the propane leakage and the cyanide in the water. When I mentioned the reviews to Sarah, she personally checked out the cabin ahead of time to ensure that everything was in working order. It is a little disconcerting since the cabin does get dark when the generator is not on but the toilets and the showers work 24/7. You get used to the darkness so just make sure you bring a good lantern. The cabin was clean and sufficient for my purposes. I was so happy that I made this short trek this year. My favorite part of Casey's besides the views is that every part of the campground is different and each side has different views. I swam on the lake side as well as the bay side as well as Pebble Beach. There is not a spot on the campground that is not nice. Sarah and Casey are very accommodating but they also are not going to put up with bad behavior on the campground. Casey comes off as gruff at times but you get to know them and they will do anything to help make your stay comfortable. As you can tell, they will not get a bad review from me. We did not get to go to Casey's last year for the first time in years and I drove 4 hours up and 4 hours back for a 2 and a half day stay. That will tell you how badly I wanted to go back this year. If you are expecting pampering then Casey's is not the place for you but if you can handle a little bit of wilderness, there is no place better that I have found.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenville
15.0 km away
14.7 km away
Maynard's-in-Maine
Maynard's-in-Maine
#1 of 2 in Rockwood

Been to Casey's Spencer Bay Camps? Share your experiences!