“White barn inn” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Kennebunk
maryland
“White barn inn”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

We recently stayed at the white barn inn along with 3 other couples. We personally stayed in the tern cottage - at the pricey cost of $650 per night. It had a 1970's marigold yellow bathroom with a walmart shower curtain, no mirror to see and moldy tile. It is not waterfront - it is mudfront. There is no great patio as shown on the internet. I am from Maine and have wanted to stay there for a long time. I would not refer anyone there - it is grossly overpriced. The drinks were $25-$40 each. Dinner was good but not exceptional. The barn itself is beautiful - but that is about it. Rooms in the main area are small. The clientel is mostly from the NY / NJ area and maybe they are used to small rooms in NYC. There are alot better places to stay - especially in Portland.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank sines9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

I will start by saying the food at the restaurant is really outstanding. It is a very expensive restaurant and they require jackets for men but I will say it is worth the money. The room I reserved was not in the main building but a few blocks away and across the street. I loved the view from my cottage and the tranquility and privacy as well. It had a beautiful view of the bay. I had a car so it was not a problem to go to the main building and if you order room service they will bring it to your room in no time. The problem I have with this hotel is that the person who decorated my room had no idea what a hotel room supposed to look like. First, there were no drawers in the entire suite (and I had the largest of the cottages). The suite had a kitchen, which was useless (there was no water or kitchen sink), so I had to use the kitchen cabinets to put some of my clothes. There is a closet but you can only put clothes on hangers. The bathroom is almost a ridiculous excuse for a hotel bath. I think it belongs in a 1960's motel by the side of the road. I could not believe they put the mirror behind the bathroom door. How do you suppose to shave? Above the sink there were two windows, so they could not hung the mirror there. Somebody needs to redesign the entire suit. Eliminate the kitchen because nobody who goes there and pays that kind of money wants to cook anyway. Use the space to create a beautiful bathroom with a shower and a nice tub (there is no tub now) and make a nice size closet and please add some drawers some place.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank javier200
, General Manager at White Barn Inn, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Dear Javier200,

I want to personally thank you for your suggestions for our Friendship Cottage. The comments and suggestions of our guests are very important to us.

Since your stay, we have completed major renovations at our Friendship Cottage and have implemented quite a few of your ideas.

As you know, our Friendship Cottage is located right on Kennebunk River and now features a beautiful outdoor seating area overlooking the water. We created two beautiful seating areas inside the Cottage; one overlooking the water, and the other one facing the original wood burning fireplace.

The Bathroom Suite now features a oversized soaking tub as well as a marble walk in rain shower room which is designed for two.

I sincerely hope that you can visit us again and experience our redesigned Friendship Cottage. If you decide to return it would be a great pleasure if I personally may take care of your reservations.

Kind regards,

Corinne Finn Heyl
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

My husband and I had a delightful stay at the inn. It is quaint and quite lovely. The staff was very professional and extremely accommodating. It is exactly what it was represented to be. We booked the fall package which included our room, breakfast and dinner. When booking, I considered it to be somewhat expensive but it was most definitely worth it.The restaurant and dinner were "FIve Star" in every respect. It was one of the finest restaurant we have ever dined. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would most definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without a sloping ceiling. The main inn has three floors and no elevator, if that mat...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank terrell c
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

There are many choices of inn, resort or hotel in this lovely area of Maine, but I was intrigued by the many excellent reviews of this inn...so we stayed here f or thee nights in early September. The weather was lovely and the crowds gone after labor day...so Kennebunkport should be high on your list if open stretches of beach, local shopping and crude perfect location is important. The inn is just as it has been described...charming and inviting. We were in room 4 in the main house. This is a double deluxe room with a gas fireplace that is two sided ..one side in the bathroom where the large jacuzzi tub is.
Double sinks, all the amenities. The double bed was perfectly fine. We usually stay in king rooms but we found the bed and linens comfortable and excellent. No need to ask for the king in my opinion. Because it's an inn, all the rooms differ in size and amenities. The staff is just wonderful. They know your name immediately, this is a relays and chateau hotel. Some of the staff are European, some local young people who have been properly and well trained. The spa has an excellent reputation but I was unable to get a last minute treatment. My fault for delaying..they were booked. The restaurant is the pinnacle. This top rated and beautiful restaurant is an experience. . We had the 5 course chefs tasting menu ( also a three cohere if you want...but both are prix fix) and a 2006 silver oak cab that was amazing.
Perfect way to celebrate an event. Walk to town..walk to beach...across the street is a beautiful Franciscan monastary hiking path. Chowder, lobster...wonderful. The price is high...but if you live the Kenwood Inn in Sonoma...this is a similar east coast experience. Go for it.

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank taloola
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

great time in ME. the service of the staff made the occasion very nice. The restaurant had great food! Something special indeed as I have eaten here on multiple occasions. the room was as comfortable as you can get. would definitely recommend people to stay and eat here!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Brooklyn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

My husband and I stayed here for our "mini-moon" following our wedding in September of 2009. Everything was perfect, the Inn truly employs a host of professional, accommodating staff. Attentive, but not solicitous, helpful but not saccharine. I suspect that much of the staff has extensive training, as the service was that thorough from the moment I made my inquiry to the time we stayed.

True, my husband and I were inclined to be in a good mood owing to our having a fantastic wedding the day previous in Brooklyn, but the room, the food and the aforementioned service all comprised an unforgettable experience. The bikes they supplied, well, they have the charm of being old and very solid, so they don't really zip along, but they're cruisers, so I suppose they aren't quite meant to "zip". Besides, everything about WBI screams relax and enjoy yourself, so the leisurely jaunt to the beach via bike was a minute longer and took a bit more huffing and puffing, not a biggie - truly.

It might seem weird to write this review close to two years after my stay, and I might in fact, be shooting myself in the foot by doing so, as I might be contributing to a fully booked in advance situation, but it was so special I had to share this.

We stayed in the modern rooms in the main part of the inn and it was just gorgeous, with lovely bath products, linens, shower/tub etc. The town of Kennebunkport fits right in with all the storied images of coastal NE towns.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EzmereldaH
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

My husband treated me to a stay and dinner at the White Barn Inn to celebrate my birthday at the beginning of August. I will limit this review to the hotel stay and write a separate review for the restaurant. The service is impeccable . We were greeted by the valet as soon as we pulled in the driveway and before our bags were out of the car, we were greeted by someone from the front desk. We were shown around the inn, including high tea service, our dinner reservations were confirmed, and we were whisked off to our room. Once we were oriented around, including the double shower and skylight and the fireplace controls, we were offered two glasses of champagne! Perfect way to start our stay. Then we hit the heated pool and enjoyed lemonade and iced tea that is made available. The pool was absolutely beautiful. They also offered bikes and beach chairs if we cared to use them. There is an extended continental breakfast in the morning with fresh berries, quiche, assorted cereals, yogurt and more! Plenty to choose from, plus a hot menu that you can order from for additional charge....really no need though, especially if you enjoyed dinner there the night before. My only regret was that we could only stay one night but we will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank teatravels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunk
0.5 km away
Stage Neck Inn
#2 of 4 in York Harbor
38.3 km away
The Press Hotel, Autograph Collection

Been to White Barn Inn? Share your experiences!