“Girls Weekend”

Captain Fairfield Inn
Ranked #5 of 25 Kennebunkport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 March 2012

The Inn was gorgeous. A perfect blend of traditional and contemporary. The new innkeepers were terrific, they made us feel at home by the fireplace. The rooms were beautiful and the breakfast was amazing! Great location in Kennebunkport!

Reviewed 19 March 2012

I was thrilled when several friends and I booked a weekend trip to Kennebunkport recently, and couldn't wait to enjoy a fabulous getaway! When I realized we would be staying at a B&B, I must admit I was disappointed, imagining the dreary, old, rundown inns that some people find appealing. Imagine my surprise when I opened the door at the Captain Fairfield Inn! The contemporary and colorful furniture in the sitting area and interesting wall covering in the dining room made me excited to see my accomodations for the night. I could not contain my excitement after opening the door to Room # 8 . . . the gas fireplace, flat screen tv, unbelievably comfortable bed with zebra print headboard made my stuffy old inn fears disappear!

For all the contemporary design featured in the inn, what they choose to preserve was comfortable and warm entertaining! The cookies each evening were such a nice touch, as was the coffee, tea and extensive selection of wine! And the breakfast? Words cannot illustrate the gourmet meal that was served to us!

From the unexpected contemporary design to the delightful entertaining, thank you Captain Fairfield Inn for the fabulous getaway that I dreamed of!

Reviewed 13 March 2012

I spent two nights at the Captain Fairfield Inn just over a week ago and am still dreaming of it. I was in room #9 and LOVED the decor (the wallpaper and bed were to die for), as well as the uber comfortable bed. Beyond the incredibly cozy yet modern room, the inn itself is lovely--the shared spaces are stylish yet welcoming and I can't say enough wonderful things about the innkeepers. They were friendly, available, and made a darn good breakfast for us--not to mention lots of other special treats throughout the weekend. I'm a huge Maine fan, visiting 1-2 times every year, and I will definitely stay here again.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

My fiance and I stayed here to celebrate our birthdays which are 1 day apart. We specifically were looking for a place which offered both an in-room fireplace and a jacuzzi tub. We visiting in the off season so we knew there would not be a lot to do in town, but also wanted to relax and make our own 'fun'. ;-)

The innkeepers, Jed and Alana, were very friendly and accomodating from the start. Registration process was seamless and we were offered the option of an upgrade upon check-in which we took advantage of. The B&B is old, but that's part of the charm of most B&B's. They are in the process of updating some of the rooms but, to be honest, they seem to be going with a more contemporary flair with their renovations which is strange given the historical nature of the building itself. It just doesn't 'fit'. The room we stayed in, the Library, had somewhat dated wallpaper and furnishings, but I will say that the bed was VERY comfortable. The linens were to-quality and we slept very well. It was pleasant and comfortable. We enjoyed listening to music on the public access station on the flat-screen TV - until the Board of Selectmen meeting interrupted it! ha ha

The jacuzzi tub was very nice and relaxing. I was pleasantly surpised that there was plenty of hot water to fill the tub and also replenish hot water as needed, which isn't always the case with tubs that large. That won big points in my book. :-)

Being there in February didn't offer a lot of excursions, but we did do some window shopping and enjoyed coffee at a local coffee shop, walked along main street, etc. We also drove out Ocean Ave. to see all the beautiful homes, including the Bush's Walker compound. Beautiful homes and the scenery is gorgeous any time of year. I would enjoy going back in the summer sometime.

The breakfast was FANTASTIC! Prepared by Jed and served by Alana. It was different and special (the banana pancakes... WOW!) Alana also did a very nice job of making us feel welcome and comfortable upon check-in, showing us where to find everything from the iron to wine selection to the pantry where we could make our own coffee. Neat!

I would recommend the Captain Fairfield Inn to friends and family based mostly on the service. I also challenge the owners to continue their renovations to improve the B&B, but reconsider their contemporary design choice. Personally, I feel most people choose a B&B because they want that feeling of opulance and high-end comfort. Leave the modern design to the Motel 6's and Quality Inn's of the world.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a fireplace and jacuzzi! Also, the library has a private porch and entrance.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
robblood, Owner at Captain Fairfield Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Reviews like this make us both happy and sad. Happy because it is clear that Bob and his fiance had a great experience and were offered exceptional service by our Innkeepers, Jed and Alana - sad because they used Motel 6 as a comparison for our design!

We hope that it is clear from the photos on our website that Captain Fairfield Inn is a Federal Style home juxtaposed with a soft modern interior . We feel strongly that a bed and breakfast does not have to be lace and doilies and/or offer period design. In Kennebunkport and along the East Coast there are hundreds of Inns that exude historic charm -- exceptional choices in Kennebunkport include Captain Jefferds Inn and Captain Lord Mansion.

We have made a choice to offer an alternative to the conventional bed and breakfast experience -- we do this by offering a design forward aesthetic, attentive service when you want it and privacy when you don't, a three course, cooked to order breakfast - served at individual tables and all the modern amenities that one would expect from a luxury hotel.

Still we do offer a couple of rooms that are more traditional - the Library, Captain Fairfield Room and Polly Lord Suite could all be characterized as being true to the period. All in all we are certainly glad that this couple was able to relax, enjoy the stay and appreciated Jed and Alana's hospitality and culinary acumen.

If any readers have concern about the design of the Inn, please view the website and review the photos of each space. We hope that you'll find Rachel Reider's design refreshing and inspiring as we do.

All the best, Rob and Leigh Blood

Reviewed 25 February 2012

My husband and I spent four luxurious nights in Room #9, the James room, this week. We were celebrating my husband's birthday and our anniversary. The room was lovely (we saw it online and requested it), with an incredibly comfortable bed and room-warming gas fireplace. The weather was lovely, and we were able to walk daily. Jed and Layna, the Innkeepers, were sweet, friendly, knowledgeable, and lent a most personal touch to our celebrations. We, who are very simple breakfast-eaters, vowed to try anything, and were most pleasantly surprised at the delicious elegance of the breakfast offerings. Jed is quite skilled at his culinary craft. We'd return in a heartbeat. Actually, I wanted to live there forever!

Room Tip: Peeked at what vacant rooms there were, and think the James, upstairs in the corner, was quiet and s...
Reviewed 23 February 2012

The bride and I needed to get away with and no kids. Captain Fairfield was a great choice. Room was good sized, full of 18th century charm, but updated ( flat screen tv, DVD, gas fireplace, bathroom, etc), close to everything, and the breakfasts were awesome! The Innkeepers were awesome and made the visit even that much better.

Room Tip: One other reviewer mentioned the stair case can be noisy. They were correct. It your a light sleep...
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Everything was excellent: our room was large and bright with 4 windows and a gas fireplace that provided comfortable heat and serious ambiance; the 3-course, gourmet breakfast was fabulous; and saving the best for last, the innkeepers, Alana and Jed, catered to all our needs with superb hospitality. We will return at our first opportunity.

Room Tip: We suggest that you talk with the innkeepers and provide them with your needs; we did this and ended...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
0.5 km away
0.1 km away
Captain Jefferds Inn
Captain Jefferds Inn
#2 of 25 in Kennebunkport

Been to Captain Fairfield Inn? Share your experiences!