“Beautiful inn in a beautiful location”

Inn at Ocean's Edge
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Lincolnville
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Staying only one night at this lovely Inn was not enough! The receptionist gave us a warm welcome and showed us all around the property. Great pool and area around the pool for relaxing. Even a sauna! Our room was very comfortable and spacious and well appointed. I got up very early and had a lack of water pressure in the shower, but other than that, everything was perfect. (Receptionist explained that when the maintenance man fills the hot tub each morning, it messes up the water pressure for a while. I can understand that!) Breakfast, which is included in the rate, was very good. So much variety, everything was fresh and eggs and pancakes cooked to order. My husband and I really enjoyed the homemade breads and muffins! We hope to return to this inn for many more visits.

Room Tip: Rooms in the upper building have their own private balconies with ocean views.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Busyinnkeepers
mydogjob, General Manager at Inn at Ocean's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2011

Thank you for your very kind review of our Inn. It is always a great pleasure for us to know that our guests have experienced the Inn in such a positive manner. This is why we are all in hospitality in the first place!

We hope to see you again and again.

Thank you.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

I stayed in the Hilltop for two nights in early September and thoroughly enjoyed myself. OK I'll admit that I never knew that I disliked flowered wallpaper as much as I did, before my trip to Maine, so next time I'll specifically ask for a room in the Inn and hope for that relaxing blue decor I saw on their website.

My corner room was very large, with a 4 poster pencil bed, a fireplace and jacuzzi, and two comfortable wing back chairs as well as having a nice balcony. Other than the flowered wallpaper, which I'm sure many others would enjoy more than I did, the only unpleasant surprise I got was that there was no hairdryer. Not a major issue, but I was surprised.

While the distances aren't that great between the Hilltop, the pool, the Inn, and the restaurant, I made use of the valet especially at night and thought it was a nice touch.

I loved sitting outdoor on the balcony at the Edge restaurant for breakfast. There was a huge selection to choose from and the homemade croissants were fabulous. I had a reservation at the Edge for dinner and thoroughly enjoyed all of it, including their wine selections.

But the best thing about the inn, despite how lovely the main in and pool house is, is the infinity pool and it's quiet location by the ocean. I spent an afternoon there unwinding and it was one of the highlights of my trip to Maine.

Would definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Debra13

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of our property.
We are always so pleased to hear that our guests have enjoyed themselves here.

We always hope that our guests will enjoy the size of the rooms, the outstanding view and of course...the pool!! So happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself and we hope to see you again.

Inn at Ocean's Edge

Reviewed 30 August 2011

As much as we love the romantic notion of a cozy B&B, my wife and I have been spoiled by modern amenities. We want a TV, and internet, and our own bathroom. Most of Maine seems to offer either quaint B&B’s or bland chain hotels. This makes The Inn At Ocean’s Edge something special.

We really enjoyed our stay in this facility, which is spacious, comfortable and clean. Our room was in the main inn. There’s a hilltop inn on a hill (naturally) some ways behind it, and although the rooms are newer (I think), it’s a bit of a walk to the amenities of the main inn, shoreline included. The poolhouse suites are really nice, although I imagine if there are people socializing at pool side, it would be hard to escape the noise.

Lounge areas are comfy and welcoming, the grounds beautiful and well-tended. Upholstered lounges dot the grassy, serene shoreline, but we gave up on them after a half hour of batting away flies (probably a seasonal thing), and headed for the fly-free infinity pool, which we quite enjoyed.

There’s a Mac with printer in the main lounge for anyone to use, and the wireless internet that covers the facility is fast and free.

TV’s are installed in every room, nothing fancy (no gigantic flatscreens), but they have a good selection of channels, and a VCR. Yes, I said VCR, not DVD. Next to the books on the main lounge shelves are several hundred VHS titles you are welcome to borrow. I wondered why the ancient technology, but think there’s a logical answer: nobody will steal VHS tapes. FYI, our room’s TV was actually a little flatscreen computer monitor, with a computer video input; next time I’ll bring along the proper cable so we can watch DVD’s from our laptop.

The exercise room is small but passable. I didn’t notice it getting much use, so there’s probably no payoff in the place upgrading it.

A couple of comments about the ocean. You are technically on the ocean’s edge here, but you’re actually on the western edge of Penobscot Bay, so your view is of the placid bay and the islands beyond. As typical of Maine, the water is chilly and you won’t want to be swimming, which is just as well, because the actual shoreline here (which you can reach via a flight of stairs) is quite rocky. Because the bay is so placid, and the main inn set back a hundred yards or so, I wouldn’t expect to be lulled to sleep by the sound of ocean waves, despite what an earlier reviewer claimed here.

The innkeepers and staff are nice people who will go out of their way to accommodate you.

We have only one caveat, and that is The Edge, the property’s adjacent restaurant. It’s a pretty room, with a nice outdoor terrace overlooking the bay. I would suggest going for drinks only. Our dinner there was unmemorable and overpriced, and the service was erratic. Just to make sure we weren’t imagining things, we ventured back the next morning for our continental breakfast, which was an absolutely interminable disaster of disorganization and culinary mediocrity. We never returned, even though our breakfasts were included in the room rate.

The Inn At Ocean’s Edge is situated just north of Camden, in the town of Lincolnville. If you want peace and quiet to write that novel of yours, or just need to catch up on a year of bad sleep, it works as a destination. If you’re like us, you’ll use it as a base for daily explorations (see my area recommendations elsewhere), for which it is just ideal. There’s not a lot for children to do here, you are forewarned.

All told, this is a lovely place, and we wouldn’t hesitate to return. Sorry about the restaurant!

Room Tip: Ask for either poolhouse or main inn rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank homesick_and_grumpy
mydogjob, General Manager at Inn at Ocean's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive review of our property.
We are so pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of the property and you are right that the Inn is a great home base for exploring the surrounding areas. We have many guests who do just that during the day and come back for refreshment and relaxation after a long day hiking, biking, kayaking, etc.

I am very sorry to hear about your experience at The Edge Restaurant. It is true that we have had major staffing issues this year and that the service has been inconsistent. We are very aware of it and hope to have finally rectified the issues. Mid-Coast Maine is hardly over-populated and finding good staff is a challenge every year, however this year, it has been especially difficult. This is not an excuse just an explanation so that you are aware that we are fully aware of the issues at the Edge and are confident that the issues have been fixed.
I certainly hope you will try us again.

We hope to see you next year and thank you again for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed 22 August 2011

You just can't go wrong with this property. Every thing was so well done, so relaxing, so properly managed down to the details. If you are in the Camden area make a reservation and you will wish you didnt have to leave. I went to BarHarbor for a few days then to to the Inn at Oceans Edge and I didnt want to leave- I wish I had booked a few more days to just stay on property, relax and enjoy.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank gibbsy904

Dear Perfection,

Now, that is exactly the kind of review we like to see!!

Thank you for taking the time to write this.

Next year you can stay with us as long as you like as it is our complete pleasure to serve you.

We certainly hope your travels bring you back to Maine soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2011

The Inn at Ocean's Edge could not be have been more accomodating to our corporate customers. They prepared two lovely evening dinners with cocktails for 30-45 guests. The food was very good and the service was impeccable. I could not have asked for a more caring and attentative team. As for this place looking like it is going downhill or bankrupt.. I just don't see it.. The pool and pool house became the meeting spot and they were lovely. The infinity edge pool like no other in New England. Thanks to Laurel and Jean for making it an extra special event for us.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Jo Maine

Thank you for writing this review of our property.

Your group was a lot of fun and we hope to have you all back again and again.

You also had the perfect Maine weather for your entire stay. Perfect.

We hope to see you again next year. It is our pleasure to serve you.

Reviewed 14 August 2011

We stayed here at the end of July and had a splendid time.
The room was very large and exceptionally clean. We had a balcony that overlooked the Inn with beautiful ocean views where my husband and I spent our mornings sipping coffee before everyone stirred and started their busy days. We went downstairs to look for coffee and there were several fresh pots waiting on the first floor for us. Yum! We thought we would have to walk down to the main building but they had brought it to us.

We dined at the Edge our first night there and enjoyed every bite. The menu features local Maine seafood with a nice variety of other things if you are looking for something other than seafood. Our waitress was Brittany and she was very good and very pleasant but not over bearing. The restaurant was busy because they have several rooms to dine in with ocean views.

The pool is incredible and we spent all of our first day pool side. There is a beautiful pool house with tasteful furniture and cold drinks for guests to use with a huge fireplace.

When we checked in a very nice woman gave us a tour of the inn and told us where guests have coffee and cookies every day. There were hot cookies waiting for us. In fact when we checked in we could smell fresh baked cookies everywhere. A really nice way to start vacation.

We enjoyed our stay here and have marked if for a great stop over on our way to Acadia next year.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
mydogjob, General Manager at Inn at Ocean's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2011

Dear Splendid Time,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed the whole property from room, to pool, to restaurant to cookies! I agree that the aroma of fresh baked cookies is a good way to start a vacation.

It is our pleasure to have you as guests at our Inn and hope to see you again next year on your way to Acadia.

Reviewed 13 August 2011

We called to let them know we were still coming and planned to arrive a few minutes after 9 om, which we did. Fortunately we called, which had seemed overkill for a guaranteed reservation at a 4 star resort, as the desk clerk went home at 9. They left an envelope for us at the front desk and the key to our room, which was in another building and a little hard to locate in the dark, in the unlocked room. It was in the hilltop annex.
The room itself was very large and sunny, with two comfortable wing chairs in front of a remote controlled fireplace. There was also a large jacuzzi in the bedroom, with a walk in shower in the bathroom. The toilet was completely rusted and the shower handles needed adjusting. Otherwise things were clean No toiletries to speak of and not the kind of services we expected. We had been on some islands for a week and planned to have them do some laundry, but this was not available. We did not have any kind of map in the room or list of services and no one to speak with, though they did leave an emergency number. Fortunately, we did not need help with our bags, since you cannot park next to the building and have to walk up stairs since there is no elevator and, again, no one to help.
Breakfast was included and the restaurant building was well marked. Breakfast was OK, though nothing special, just a buffet. We ordered some eggs which weren't very good. It was very short-staffed.
We had trouble getting back into our building, the hilltop annex, as the combination lock needed 24/7 to get in did not work very well.
There is a very pretty swimming pool and,the landscaping is very nice. We could not use the pretty balcony because of the mosquitos--there are trees on both sides and in quite close. Overall, we had the sense that the place was on the brink of bankruptcy and it was quite overpriced for the lack of attention..

Room Tip: If you don't mind walking and carrying stuff up and down, ask for upstairs at the annex with a...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tourist22903
mydogjob, General Manager at Inn at Ocean's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2011

Dear Tourist 22,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property.

We are sorry that your experience was not all that you hoped it would be. If you arrive after 9pm
the front desk is closed and a letter and key is supposed to be waiting for you with instructions explaining how to get to the hilltop and to your room. I'm sorry that this was confusing for you.
The Hilltop building is tucked away which is why our staff affectionally refer to it as the "quiet building" as it is far from the noise and activity of the pool and restaurant.

In regards to the toilet being rusted- we are located on a ledge and have extremely hard water which stains the toilets a rusty color. For some reason this year it has been particularly hard and we diligently try to stay on top of it. When we are very busy it is hard to win the battle as we need to soak the bowls for a long time and there is not much time to do so when guests are checking in right after someone else checks out. This is something we constantly try to stay on top of and I'm sorry if we did not manage this better in your room. I can only assure you that your room is very clean and we continue to address the stain issues.

As for the other comments, I have addressed all of them with my team and we continue to work towards making the Inn at Ocean's Edge an excellent experience for all of our guests.

Laurel Johnson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lincolnville
1.0 km away
0.9 km away
Mount Battie Motel
Mount Battie Motel
#1 of 5 in Lincolnville

Been to Inn at Ocean's Edge? Share your experiences!