New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Inn at Ocean's Edge

Inn at Ocean's Edge
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Lincolnville
Cape Cod, MA
“Review of the Inn and poolhouse suite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in August 2011 to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. Friends of ours recommended this place because they knew we were looking for a beautiful, private, quiet setting and this resort claims "...perfect for that special occasion, honeymoon or romantic getaway."

First, let me say that the gardens and landscaping were absolutely beautiful and we enjoyed the infinity pool and the hot tub at night. We also enjoyed breakfast at the Edge each morning and our dinners the one night we ate there. Our waitress was lovely.

We chose to splurge since this was our 30th and booked the expensive poolroom suite. On the positive side, we loved the casual elegance of the room, the spaciousness of the suite, sipping coffee on the balcony, relaxing in the tub, and the view.

What we didn't like, and the reason I gave this place a 4 (it would have only gotten a 3 if I had written this right after the stay, but time as softened me) was the lack of peace I felt being located so close to the pool which is right outside of the suite. It just so happened a large group of family was staying at the same time and their kids were yelling in the pool (the way kids do when swimming) for hours. The resort states on its website" "The Inn is a non-smoking property, cannot accommodate pets and is appropriate for children 14 and older. We ask that children under 14 be accompanied by an adult at all times and are mindful of other guests' desire to relax." Luckily, we had one rainy day, hence, a quiet, serene one.

When I voiced my concern at the front desk, I was given a shrug and was told there was nothing that could be done about it. When I booked this room, I was told it was very private and had it been during the winter months, it probably would have, but not true in the summer. I love kids, work in a public school from Sept-June but expected a quiet vacation, filled with rest and relaxation when I booked this suite. A little sympathy, not a shrug, would have been nice. I decided to write this so someone else with similar expectations can make an informed decision about whether or not to choose the poolhouse suite.

I

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Jayne2004

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Northern NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

We loved the room. We loved the pool and pool house. The Breakfast was fun and had good variety. The overall Inn lacks warmth that is typical of the surrounding area. There is a quasi business feel to the place. Its a bit of a turn off. The entire place was clean and well maintained but cold and unimaginative

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MiggieNorthernNJ
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

The Inn at Ocean's Edge combines the atmosphere of a seaside resort with the hospitality of a Maine bed and breakfast. We stayed in a Hilltop room and were pleasantly surprised to find it very spacious. It had a whirlpool tub, gas fireplace, and a balcony complete with patio furniture. The location of the Inn is about midway between Camden and Belfast, both places worth an extended visit. Breakfast is included in the room rate, and it is served in the Edge dining room which is very close to the water. Choices are extensive, and plentiful. There is ample room to relax in the main house, and scrumptious cookies are served in the afternoon. A really nice touch is early morning coffee set up in the main hall of the Hilltop building so that guests do not have to leave the premises for that first cuip of java. There is an infinity pool on the property. The Inn is extending it's season through the Christmas Holiday this year. Staff are knowledgeable and courteous. A really nice getaway.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Hilltop building are quiet and spacious.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank circe64
Rockland, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

My wife and I had the chance to stay at the inn on the Sunday of Columbus Day weekend. Truth be told, we just needed to get away from our high-paced lives only a short drive away in Rockland, ME, and we were hoping for a quiet, simple night away from dance classes, work calls and all sorts of distractions. Our room at the Inn was perfect — up on the hilltop overlooking Penobscot bay and the not-too-distant islands — with a waxing moon glowing steadily over the water. We had a lovely balcony on which we sat and simply gazed out at the view. A jacuzzi in the in-room tub was a great lead-in to a much needed night's rest.
The next morning was the surprise. A terrific buffet breakfast at The Edge restaurant complimented by an a-la-carte selection of pancakes, eaten on the restaurant's outdoor balcony, with the sunshine warming us as we watched a schooner sail by. No better way to enjoy the long weekend and at the same time remind us of how gorgeous our midcoast community is.
We followed breakfast with a couple of hours going back and forth between the infinity pool and the hot tub and all the chaos of our Rockland lives was forgotten.
Now I just have to figure out when I'll get the chance to get back!
Thanks!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David T
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

My first venture away from my personal retreat in Florida...and the Inn at Ocean's Edge did not disappoint. From the friendly staff to the simple, but elegantly appointed "Hilltop" rooms (loved the Wedgewood Blue decor)--to the special service (like coffee brought up to the hill at 7am and valet go-cart service throughout the secluded property)--I could not have asked for more. Everything was quiet and beautiful on this 20+ acre waterfront property. And the gourmet breakfasts each morning at the nearby Edge restaurant were a highlight (not to mention the nicest hostess I have ever met-Tammy). I wanted solitude, elegance, a woodsy property with a fantastic view, good food and close proximity to Camden--The Inn at Ocean's Edge provided all that. I would return in a heartbeat (and will with friends).

Room Tip: Definitely request a room at the main Inn with a water view (all the rooms at the Hilltop facility h...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Sherry C
Springfield, MO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

After hiking in Acadia several days we were looking forward to relaxing here and staying on the resort property the duration of our stay. The hotel and grounds were the most beautiful we encountered in Maine and hospitality at check in top notch.

We chose to dine at The Edge, the resorts restaurant that night. The place was nearly empty and host seemed offended that we had not made a reservation, then made us wait over a half hour without checking in twice. Staff kept asking us why we were waiting and when checking with host he had attitude and acted as if we were putting him out to ask for an update. Very upsetting experience, I had looked forward to relaxing and we ended up leaving and driving into town to get something to eat.

Reported to management. Though they were very apologetic did not make any effort to make ip to us. Did offer to send us coupon for a free future stay that never arrived...and we live over 1,200 miles away so unlikely to return soon. Restaurant ruined the stay for us, will not return to resort if we come back to Maine which we hope to someday.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank travelopinion11
mydogjob, General Manager at Inn at Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, 21 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn and thank you for your comments regarding your experience at The Edge Restaurant.
I am sorry that you were made to feel like a bother when in fact it is our pleasure to serve you.
It sounds like your Edge experience was far beneath of usual standard of service and I would like very much to hear directly from you so that I may rectify this situation.

Kind Regards,
Laurel Johnson
Inn at Ocean's Edge
207-236-8496
Holderness, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

Staying only one night at this lovely Inn was not enough! The receptionist gave us a warm welcome and showed us all around the property. Great pool and area around the pool for relaxing. Even a sauna! Our room was very comfortable and spacious and well appointed. I got up very early and had a lack of water pressure in the shower, but other than that, everything was perfect. (Receptionist explained that when the maintenance man fills the hot tub each morning, it messes up the water pressure for a while. I can understand that!) Breakfast, which is included in the rate, was very good. So much variety, everything was fresh and eggs and pancakes cooked to order. My husband and I really enjoyed the homemade breads and muffins! We hope to return to this inn for many more visits.

Room Tip: Rooms in the upper building have their own private balconies with ocean views.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Busyinnkeepers
Thank you for your very kind review of our Inn. It is always a great pleasure for us to know that our guests have experienced the Inn in such a positive manner. This is why we are all in hospitality in the first place!

We hope to see you again and again.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Laurel Johnson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lincolnville
1.0 km away
0.9 km away
Mount Battie Motel
Mount Battie Motel
#1 of 5 in Lincolnville

Been to Inn at Ocean's Edge? Share your experiences!