“Mixed Bag, Gorgeous, Fairly Loud and Poor Service”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Desert
Mount Desert Campground
Boston, Massachusetts
“Mixed Bag, Gorgeous, Fairly Loud and Poor Service”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This is one of the tougher reviews I have had to write-because the place is very pretty. I had an amazing water-front site-but frankly the attitude I got from Donna (one of the owners) is enough from keeping me from going back. In short, I guess a lot of people had arrived around the same time as I did, so I was told to go look at a site and come back to check in. I dealt with a gentleman who was nice enough. So I found a site, then came back to register. I was told to then go put stuff at the site so someone didn't "take it". I asked if I could just pay so I wouldn't have to come back yet another time...frankly I felt like the system they have in place stinks. I realize often it's not that busy and maybe their current system works, but who wants to drive (or walk) up to office 3 times. Luckily when I was dealing with Donna, who was in my opinion rude and even inhospitable, the gentleman offered to go down and hold the spot while I filled out the form and paid. Later on I called about something on my cell, and got a really crass "cells don't work in the park come up if you need something". I was just trying to get the code for the wireless before they closed (it was Sunday). I had asked about wireless when I was checking in (on the first visit) but wasn't told what it was. Maybe I was an exception, but I was made to feel so uncomfortable by Donna that while I camp all the time, and always when I am visiting Acadia, I don't think I can come back here. If she was an employee I would say the owner should fire her, but she is one of the owners... I realize maybe some of it was me, maybe I should have just gone down and come back (for a 3rd time) but I also know terrible customer service when I see it as I have my own business and so I ask a lot of the people who work for me, and I am a tougher customer because of it. That said, the best way I can vote is with my wallet. I probably stayed another night and saw if she was in a better mood on the following day, but in the end I just decided that she is probably unhappy in her work and that's her life...and I don't need to be a part of it. It's too bad because it's a gorgeous place...and the rest of my vacation I have only dealt with the most pleasant people in Maine.

Oh yeah, one thing I really didn't like was how noisy the place can be. Cars from the main road. Cars from the camp road-and at all hours. Oh and the birds will definitely wake you up if you camp by the shore. Overall, beautiful place, but mixed customer service and very, very loud is what I experienced. I think I am going to stick with camping at Seawall campground on the quiet side of the island...

Room Tip: Stay at the National Park Campground if you like to sleep in past 6am. The birds will drive you nut...